Young Writers Society

Riddles

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:23 am
Nate says...

I love riddles :D

First one:
Johnny's mother had three children. The first child was named April. The second child was named May. What was the third child's name?
Last edited by Nate on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Supporter

Reviews: 0
Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:28 am
Lee says...

this is an easy one! i'm not even going to bother, lol :lol:

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:50 am
electricbluemonkey says...

JOHNNY!

Okay, one bus driver was going up a one way street the wrong way. As he is passing by all slick and cool he spots a police officer, but the officer just waves to him and the bus driver waves back. Why isnt the bus driver stopped?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:53 am
Brian says...

The bus driver isn't driving right then. He's only walking.

418 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:02 am

RIGHT! GOOD SIR, YOU WIN THE KNOWLEDGE OF KNOWING YOU ANSWERED A QUESTION RIGHT!!

I've got 2 more!

Who is this person? It is not my brother or my sisterm but it is a child of my mother and father?

If a cat can jump 5 feet up in the air, then why cant it jump through a 2 feet high window?

And 1 more! YAY! Its not really a riddle, but a math question.

You win an unusual contest nad can choose one of two prizes. Both prizes come with no tax liabilities or hidden costs. Choice A is a check for 10,000 dollars. Choice B is to receive a prize in 20 payments, beginnign with a penny and then doubling the previous amount of each payment thereafter. Which choice would give you the most money? What is the actual monetary difference between the two choices?

Dont go sneaking to the calculator!!!
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:00 am
iced.cappuchino says...

Who is this person? It is not my brother or my sisterm but it is a child of my mother and father?

It's... you?

If a cat can jump 5 feet up in the air, then why cant it jump through a 2 feet high window?

Because the window is closed. o.o

You win an unusual contest nad can choose one of two prizes. Both prizes come with no tax liabilities or hidden costs. Choice A is a check for 10,000 dollars. Choice B is to receive a prize in 20 payments, beginnign with a penny and then doubling the previous amount of each payment thereafter. Which choice would give you the most money? What is the actual monetary difference between the two choices?

The answer is Choice B, but I'd choose A, just to spare having to carry around pennies.

o.o

The difference.... I got 813 and some odd decimals, but I probably made a mistake adding that whole stack of numbers up @.@ I'm sure there's an easier way to calculate the difference, because I did notice pattern while I was adding the numbers.

1 * 2 = 2 (pennies)
2 * 2 = 4 (pennies)
4 * 2 = 8 (pennies)
...etc

1 + 2 = 3

3 + 4 = 7

The sum of a number plus its precendent is equal to the next number minus one.

...Er. Nevermind. I really should be doing research or something, instead of this. Har. ^^;

425 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:47 am
Nate says...

For the last riddle, choice A. To get the number of pennies, you need to take 2 to the 19th power for the twenty payments (2 to the zero power is payment number one resulting in one penny). You get something like 555,000 pennies (rounded off), divide by 100 and get 5,500 dollars. Choice A is better.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:56 pm
smilyfacebkwrm says...

There's a crime and in some states the people who commit are punished, but if anyone is successful in doing this crime they are never punished. What is it? :D

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:24 pm
aisu_ookami says...

Suicide!
"Perfect happiness is only possible by the existance of perfect misery, perfect sorrow" ~Darcia

"Hey! I want to stand in front, creep!" ~InuYasha

Life is just a dream......

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:55 pm
Korin says...

smilyfacebkwrm wrote: commit
That gave it away

9 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:56 pm
Korin says...

Ok, How can you rearange these numbers to make the statement true?

8+8=91

418 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:20 am

Are you sure its not suppsed to be 81 or something, I have no clue, although I didn't really bother my time on it. I did it for like 2 minutes and stopped...

And Nate, you are wrong, choice B is better! WAY BETTER! Because when you do 2 to the 19th power but then you have to double it. Watch:

Choice A will give you 10,000 while choice B will give you 485.75 more, if I am correct. Look 2 to the 20th power is 1848576, divided by 100 is 10,485.76. Just try it on a calculator with exponents. I was going to show it here and it took me about 10 minutes then I went over and saw that it was wrong so deleted it. Just do it on a cally...ooh, new word...
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

9 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:40 am
Korin says...

Nope, It's right at 8+8=91

425 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:55 am
Nate says...

Aye EBM, you're right. My mistake was in just stating the amount of the last payment. I didn't add them up altogether.

As for "8+8=91" all you gotta do is rearrange the 9 to make it true :wink:

9 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:58 am
Korin says...

Correct Nate.. Lets see who can guess it first after your hint :wink:

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain