z

Young Writers Society

One Billion Bulbs Campaign

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat May 12, 2007 4:11 am
Nate says...

Just made a group for YWS over at http://www.OneBillionBulbs.com , and added a link to it over on the My YWS & Home page.

I'm a huge fan of gadgets, and CFL bulbs are right up there. I like the light from them better, and they look cooler too. Plus, it is kind of astonishing the amount of energy savings you can obtain from just one bulb.

To be honest, I don't know if Global Warming is a hoax or reality (believe me when I say I've read tons about the subject). Either way, I try to do my part by helping the environment through biking whenever I can (I frequently bike to work from the suburbs to downtown DC), promoting conservation and safe environmental practices through my activities with the Boy Scouts of America, and donating money each month to a park in my area. But reducing pollution is good in any case, and CFL bulbs are one of the few cost-effective ways to do it. Just make sure you dispose of them properly! Otherwise you're negating whatever positive benefits you made.

Heh... this is somewhat of the political activist in me that I try to hide from the site, but I figure this is a good cause, CFL bulbs are cool gadgets anyways, and it looks very nice in the sidebar :P
Last edited by Nate on Sat May 12, 2007 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 12, 2007 4:23 am
Emerson says...

Too bad the URL isn't working...

Very cool! if I bought the light bulbs in my house, I'd buy those ones!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Sat May 12, 2007 4:35 am
Nate says...

I fixed the link.

If anyone decides to sign up, remember to add yourself to the YWS group!

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat May 12, 2007 6:11 am
Jennafina says...

I signed up! I love curly light bulbs, especially how they don't get very hot so you can put things near them and not have to worry about starting a fire. xD

My whole house is already changed, though. *wanders off towards friend's house with large bag of CFL bulbs*

And in case anyone wants to learn more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun May 13, 2007 5:06 am
Blooregard Q. Kazoo says...

I'll sign up too!

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun May 13, 2007 5:14 am
Via says...

I have joined. You will not recognize my name (mwahhahaha) but I did join our group!! And changed 2 lightbulbs. =]
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun May 13, 2007 11:11 am
tinny says...

We've used energy saving light-bulbs for years, I can't remember using anything else XD they look so much more fun than normal lightbulbs :3
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sun May 13, 2007 11:14 am
Ofour says...

It's actually cheaper to use energy-saving ones in the long run, so why not!
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

Reviews: 4
Mon May 21, 2007 5:18 am
Common Sense says...

DO NOT support the CFL Bulbs! Wal-Mart is a big pusher in trying to promote the sales of these as well as other big companies.

Here's why not to support them....

They contain Toxic Mercury
CFL Bulbs are easily breakable, they'll break before they hit the landfills, break during shipment, break during trash collection and the workers may be exposed to high levels of this toxin. If they break near homes they can even contaminate the soil. So much for saving the enviroment :roll:
Truth Through Me

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon May 21, 2007 5:39 am
Jennafina says...

They aren't that breakable. You can even drop them a little, which is more than you can do with regular ones. I don't know about the rest of the stuff you said, though. Where are you getting your information?
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

Mon May 21, 2007 5:44 am
Common Sense says...

Its an ongoing battle, I think the main issue is how to dispose of them but here is the link where I read about it:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=7431198
Truth Through Me

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon May 21, 2007 10:05 am
tinny says...

Wal-mart? We buy ours from Ikea. They don't seem to be promoted much here in England.

Considering the bulbs last so long (the ones in my bedroom have been going over 15 years now XD) I think it ofsets the problem of the mercury. That and my Papy, who buys them all, is a wise science man and so he wouldn't have got them had there been problems he didn't agree with.

We dispose of our bulbs properly too; we take them to a special dump where they're sorted out buy people.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

425 Reviews

Mon May 21, 2007 11:33 am
Nate says...

Common Sense wrote:Its an ongoing battle, I think the main issue is how to dispose of them but here is the link where I read about it:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=7431198

Read the original post. This is why I added:
"Just make sure you dispose of them properly! Otherwise you're negating whatever positive benefits you made. "

You dispose of them the same as you do when you dispose of batteries or your motor oil (that is, if you change your motor oil). They are not the perfect solution, but as long as you take the time to dispose of them properly, they're better than regular bulbs and will save you money in the end. I don't get the whole comment about Wal-Mart, especially since I buy mine at a local hardware store, but whatever.

Although I do find it strange you joined solely to post in this thread.

Mon May 21, 2007 6:15 pm
Common Sense says...

^

I didn't join just to post in this thread, that's idiotic. But thanks for your concern. :roll:
Truth Through Me

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat May 26, 2007 3:18 am
electricbluemonkey says...

One billion. That's a lot lightbulbs.

Wyoming has only 136 bulbs changed. Losers.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

Have you met a cow or another large animal?
— Liminality