z

Young Writers Society

Blair quits: 'I did what I thought was right'

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu May 10, 2007 8:23 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Tony Blair announced his resignation as Labour leader today among the people who first sent him to Westminster almost a quarter of a century ago and mounted a passionate, personal defence of his record during a decade in Downing Street.

In an emotional speech to activists at the Trimdon Labour Club in his Sedgefield constituency - where he launched his own Labour leadership campaign 13 years ago and celebrated his three general election victories - Mr Blair said that he would formally tender his resignation as Prime Minister to the Queen on June 27.

That timetable sets in motion a six-week contest for the Labour leadership - although few believe that it will be anything other than a long coronation procession for Gordon Brown, Mr Blair's long-time partner in the 'new Labour project' and his Chancellor since 1997.

The Chancellor was due to find out this afternoon if either John McDonnell or Michael Meacher had raised the necessary 45 nominations from MPs, but the two men said today that they would not announce until Monday which would stand.

This afternoon, John Prescott, Deputy Prime Minister, also resigned as deputy leader of the party, setting off a rather more real battle to be Mr Brown's second-in-command. Two candidates, Peter Hain, the Northern Ireland Secretary and Harriet Harman, the Constitutional Affairs Minister, said that they had enough nominations to join the contest...

May 10th 2007

The Times

There's more, which you can see here.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri May 11, 2007 3:40 pm
Tyd says...

Yeah well, we knew it was coming really. I think they were calling for his job since last year; but all the same, i will be sad to him go. I personally liked Blair :)
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri May 11, 2007 4:08 pm
Firestarter says...

He wasn't *that* bad. I don't think he was a terrible Prime Minister, I just don't like the fact he made some bad mistakes and never apologised for them properly.

He will only ever really be remembered for Iraq, I think.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Fri May 11, 2007 4:13 pm
deleted6 says...

What I wonder is? Why he taking so long too leave...? Why June, why not now? Also he was okay at first, I guess.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri May 11, 2007 4:44 pm
Jules the jester says...

The funniest thing about Blair is how he never backed down or apoligised about Iraq. Right up untill the end he was still staying.

There is weapons of mass destruction.

anyone who can stand up to the amount of bad press and slander he has had must be an ok guy.
Man:George look at this.
George: look at what?
Man: Ha made you look!
George: Idiot!

79 Reviews

Fri May 11, 2007 4:58 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Jules the jester wrote:anyone who can stand up to the amount of bad press and slander he has had must be an ok guy.

Or just thick-skinned..? I don't think he would have been a particularly bad PM, it's just that yes, he will always be remembered for Iraq more than anything else.

I also think that, had he not "retired", he would have been kicked out anyway. The word "Thatcher" comes to mind.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Fri May 11, 2007 5:19 pm
miyaviloves says...

I'm glad that he is retiring, even if we vote in Labour again it will just be nice to have a new Prime Minister to like make decisions and stuff. I dont think he was a terrible prime minister, in all honesty I don't really know much about politics, only what we see in the news. BUt still, Gordon Brown Next? is that right?
Bag.

Got YWS?

79 Reviews

Fri May 11, 2007 6:49 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Urgh, yes, in all likelihood, Gordon Brown will be next. I'm glad Blair is retiring, as, though he wasn't the worst PM we've ever had, he certainly wasn't brilliant.

I doubt Labour will win again, they've become extremely unpopular. And didn't Tories gain something like 200... whatevers in the local elections? It looks like they're going to win next time for sure.

~Stewie Griffin

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun May 13, 2007 6:26 pm
Denouement says...

I thought Blair was a great primeminister. It will be sad to see him go.
I'm now hoping that all the grannies stay at home on voting day, as the thought of David Cameron residing in Number 10 is disturbing. He's a hollow shell made of slogans intended to please all, knee jerk politics and Radiohead

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed May 16, 2007 3:18 pm
Myth says...

I'm neutral in this, I guess we just have to wait and see how it goes with Gordon Brown.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun May 20, 2007 8:52 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

It would have been very easy for Mr. Blair to save his own political career by backing out of Iraq. The fact that he did what he thought was right despite the pressure put on him says a lot about his character. Not many politicians would be able to do the same.

I'm sorry to see him go.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

79 Reviews

Sun May 20, 2007 8:59 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I'm not. Well, I wouldn't be, but now we've got Gordon Brown, who seems to be spending the better part of the next six months frightening school-children with his smile, and trying to "meet the people". *shudder*

Ah, the world of politics... It requires such flexibilty.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:32 am
chuff88 says...

I actually met Tony Blair once, a long time ago.[/random claim to fame]

In my view, what he lacked was decent home policies: He gambled a lot on a bold foreign policy, and when Iraq just kept on getting worse it did him serious damage. But pulling out would have been even more fatal.
Oh, and gawd knows what's going to happen to the country now the SNP's in charge in Scotland - I think Brown's seat is up there, so if they vote for independence he's going to have to choose which way to jump.

79 Reviews

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:40 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

Less than a week to go. Then - creepy smile man as our PM. Yay.. *waves feebly* And I realised that Gordon Brown/George Bush initials = GB. Coincidence? *strokes imaginary beard*

~Stewie Griffin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:29 pm
Firestarter says...

And now he commits shady dealings behind the country's back to secure a "treaty" (read: watered down constitution) without a referendum (as promised) or mandate.

I'd have some confidence in the EU if any of its decision were actually made by a democratically-elected parliament, rather than behind closed doors.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
— Martin Luther King Jr.