z

Young Writers Society

London

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:23 pm
Via says...

So, as many of you know, I am going to be London next year for a week. But, knowing absolutely no one personally who can help me, I need all you UKians to chip in!

Joe and I will only be there for a week, and we want to stay in the city (of London, of course) in a hotel. We want to stay somewhere within walking distance of a bunch of kickbutt places, preferrably on like a mainstretch or something of the sort.

What I need from you all is.....where do we stay?? Where is all the action happening?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:48 pm
Jules the jester says...

NOO not londond. Come ot DEVON :!: :!: :!: :!:

Why go and visit smog when you can come and visit beutiful beaches. lovely walks. Nice of ice cream and most of all the roman remains just over the border into wales which is only and hour drive away.

Sorry this probs wont help you but if i can convince someone to come ot devon i shall be happy. lol

694 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Via says...

Well I actually wouldn't mind going to Devon, but I have to go to London anyway. At the end of my week in London, I have to fly from London-Heathrow to Mombasa, Kenya.....so I figured if I had to go to London anyway I might as well spend a week there. =)

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:29 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, as it happens, I'm going to London in a couple of months for a few days (living in the heart of the British country I'm looking forward to a glimpse of the city-life!) and we're staying in a hotel by Tower Bridge. However, if you want to find out where the best hotels are, I suggest you take a look at this link:

http://www.superbreak.com/browse/location-LO.htm

It's a very good guide to all the hotels in the city. It's Central London, so that's where all the action is, West End, London Eye, museums, etc. There are sublinks to all the different areas of Central, with descriptions of each, so you know which ones have all the tourist stuff, which ones have good shopping, etc.

Hope this helps!
-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:43 pm
Teague says...

I went to London last summer, actually. I stayed at a hotel that was right across the street from Hyde Park. We actually took a walk through it and happened to come across the changing of the guard at Buckingham.

I don't remember the name and I can't find it on that site, but I remember it was a Hilton hotel and right by Queensway station, so it was in a really good location.

Edit: It was this hotel
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:17 pm
Muse says...

Hmmmm, theres no one good place in London. The tube gets you everywhere anyway, so it wouldnt matter. You HAVE to visit covent garden and Oxford St. You should visit the Tate Modern too, its well cool. London is pretty wide-spread, i guess it depends what you want to see!
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:11 am
Magyk says...

Last time I went to London I stayed in a Hotel opposite Tower Bridge. We had a great view of the Bridge and The Tower of London. It was brilliant. That week was alos a few weeks after the London Bombings so we decided not to get the tube or buses if we didn't have to. That is quite a way out though. You wouldn't believe it but most of London is acctually quite close and in walking distance.

But, if you want to be in the centre of it all, I would say Regent Street, Oxford Street or Covent Gardens. Regent Street and Oxford Street are full of cool shops. Covent Garden has lots of nice little shops and loads of street performers, there is also a shop there that sells the worlds best cookies, it's called Ben's Cookies.

If you are looking for good old London site you have to go on the London Eye, it's quite expensive but you can see most of London form there (on a good day). There are other things to visit like Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Nelsons Column, St Paul's Cathedral, The Tower of London, Tower Bridge and Shakespear's Globe Theatre.

There are LOADS of museums to visit. If you like art there is the Tate Modern and Tate Britain. There are other ones like the Natural History Museum, Science Meuseum, Victoria and Albert Museum, British Museum and Imperial War Museum. I can't comment on some of those as I haven't even been to them yet.

Some other nice places to walk though are Soho, Chinatown, Westminster (Big Ben etc.), Hyde Park, St James's Park and Leicster Square. Camden Market is also quite nice for a little wonder.

And the list does go on. I won't write anymore here but if you want more information or help etc, PM me and I will see if I can help.

Oh, one last thing, if you are looking for good hotels go on http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1863 ... otels.html It is a site were people that have stayed in the hotel can rate and leave comments on the hotels and area etc.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:22 am
Esmé says...

... me going to London, too! XD

694 Reviews

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:29 pm
Via says...

Haha awesome! My mom apparently decided yesterday that she wants to take us to Mexico too, so either over christmas or over or spring break we'll be going there? I don't know, I'm incredibly confused right now lol. Thanks for all your help guys, I will check all of this out!!!! =]

497 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 01, 2007 2:37 am
Teague says...

write me wrote:Haha awesome! My mom apparently decided yesterday that she wants to take us to Mexico too, so either over christmas or over or spring break we'll be going there? I don't know, I'm incredibly confused right now lol. Thanks for all your help guys, I will check all of this out!!!! =]

I'm going there over the summer! Lol, quit following me. :lol:

694 Reviews

Tue May 01, 2007 2:44 am
Via says...

Haha! We refuse to go there during the summer because it's like a million degrees there.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 01, 2007 3:57 am
Teague says...

write me wrote:Haha! We refuse to go there during the summer because it's like a million degrees there.

Well, I live in Arizona so it's no bother for me. :D
It's warm year-round though.

Plus it's a family reunion for my dad's side of the family. We're pretty much going to have to rent out every hotel in the nation and run dry every bar in the area. Lol.

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae