z

Young Writers Society

"Women's town" to put men in their place

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:14 pm
Prokaryote says...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070426/od_ ... n_odd_dc_1

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese tourism authorities are seeking investment to build a novel concept attraction -- the world's first "women's town," where men get punished for disobedience, an official said Thursday.

The 2.3-square-km Longshuihu village in the Shuangqiao district of Chongqing municipality, also known as "women's town," was based on the local traditional concept of "women rule and men obey," a tourism official told Reuters.

"Traditional women dominate and men have to be obedient in the areas of Sichuan province and Chongqing, and now we are using it as an idea to attract tourists and boost tourism," the official, surname Li, said by telephone.

The tourism bureau planned to invest between 200 million yuan ($26 million) and 300 million yuan in infrastructure, roads and buildings, Li said.

"We welcome investors from overseas and nationwide to invest in our project," he added.

The motto of the new town would be "women never make mistakes, and men can never refuse women's requests," Chinese media have reported.

When tour groups enter the town, female tourists would play the dominant role when shopping or choosing a place to stay, and a disobedient man would be punished by "kneeling on an uneven board" or washing dishes in restaurant, media reports said.

The project, begun in the end of 2005, was expected to take three to five years to finish.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:21 pm
Firestarter says...

Well, this is clearly progress. Let's reinforce inequality rather than promote balance of genders.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:30 pm
Sureal says...

Oh my, that's such a bad idea. Talk about giving feminists a bad name. XD

This kind of reminds me of the island off the Wicker Man (the remake).
I wrote the above just for you.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:52 pm
Trident says...

Hm, well I think the original premise sounded okay. After all, women in China are not treated the best. It may have given some of the men something to think about. But the more I read the article, the worse the idea sounded. It seems to be treated as something comical, merely an amusement and nothing more. Definitely not the direction they should be going.
Perception is everything.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:47 pm
Alainna says...

Oh dear. I'm all for feminism but that's a joke. It's clear sexism and will turn the women into the ones that look bad. As for tourism, is sexism what it takes to attract tourists????

Alainna
xxxxxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:06 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

Sureal wrote:This kind of reminds me of the island off the Wicker Man (the remake).

That movie was weird. But yeah, that does come to mind.

I think it's a pretty funny idea, but it really isn't doing anything to help feminism. But if they think it will attract tourists. . . .
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed May 16, 2007 4:20 pm
Leja says...

The way it's presented in the article, it sounds like nothing more than a tourist attraction.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed May 16, 2007 8:32 pm
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...

Well, this is clearly progress. Let's reinforce inequality rather than promote balance of genders.

Totally with you there, Firestarter. I must admit, when I first read the article I just about giggled my head off--I am in no ways a feminist (actually, the term I use for myself is neo-victorianist, if I may be so vain), so to me this just looks hilarious.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:04 am
Pushca says...

Firestarter wrote:Well, this is clearly progress. Let's reinforce inequality rather than promote balance of genders.

Cheers!

Men are scum anyway.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:40 am
Fireweed says...

Lol, Pushca.

But this is in no way feminism... it's like, chauvinism if that's a word. I agree with Trident; at first I thought it might not be such a bad idea considering the history of women in China, but it doesn't sound like a statement, just entertainment. It will just give feminism a bad name; we should strive for equality, not dominance.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuyt[bn[ pasdlgkhasdfasdf.
— Lemony Snicket