z

Young Writers Society

New planet found

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:01 am
LowKey says...

Got this from: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/24/BAG33PE14U26.DTL

(04-24) 16:59 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- A rocky planet not much larger than Earth has been detected orbiting a star close to our own neighborhood in the Milky Way, and the European astronomers who found it say it lies within the star's "habitable zone," where life could exist - possibly in oceans of water.

The object is the smallest of all the 200 or more so-called "exoplanets" whose discovery around far-off stars in the past dozen years has sparked a burst of excitement worldwide among astronomers and astrobiologists.

Most of those planets are huge, hot, and appear to be primarily gas giants like our own Jupiter, but water has been widely detected in these distant solar systems, and many astronomers agree that rocky planets like this one might well hold abundant liquid water as the abodesof alien life.

The announcement Thursday was greeted with enthusiasm by many American astronomers.

"This appears to be the very first detection of a whole new habitable world, with liquid water and the possibility of life. It's a huge milestone in astronomy," said Alan P. Boss, an astronomer withthe Carnegie Institution in Washington said in a phone call to The Chronicle from Sweden, where he is attending a meeting.

The lead author of the discovery report, Stephane Udry of the Geneva Observatory in Switzerland, said the planet's sun is named Gliese 581, one of the galaxy's extremely common "red dwarfs." It lies in the constellation Libra, the Scales, about 20.5 light years away from Earth -- a relatively close neighbor compared to other "exoplanets" that have been detected thousands of light years away.

Udry's group estimated the planet's average temperature at between 32 and 104 degrees Fahrenheit. It orbits Gliese 581 every 13 days only about 6.5 million miles out, which is 14 times closer to its sun than Earth is from ours. But the planet is well within the star's "habitable zone" because Gliese 581 is much smaller and colder than our sun.

"This planet will most probably be a very important target of future space missions dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial life," Xavier Delfosse of Grenoble University in France, another member of the discovery team, said in the announcement. "On the treasure map of the Universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X."

Jill Tarter, the famed seeker of signals from extra-terrestrial civilizations at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, told The Chronicle on Thursday that her colleagues have already been observing the new-found planet's parent star closely through radio telescopes in America and Australia.

"It's a tantalizing discovery," Tarter said in an e-mail message from Chicago. "Water will be the key, and that's going to be a real observational challenge. ... We may be witnessing the start of a cosmic real estate boom."

The new planet's detection was announced from the European Southern Observatory's headquarters in Garching, Germany, whose team leaders used the world's most sensitive spectrograph mounted at the observatory's main telescope at La Silla, Chile.

From Doppler measurements of the tiny wobble in the star's motion caused by the tug of the planet's gravity, the astronomers calculated the object must be only five times more massive than our own Earth and its diameter only half again more than Earth's.

The European astronomers discovered a much larger Neptune-size planet about 15 times more massive then Earth two years ago, circlingextremely close to Gliese 581 in a 5.4-day orbit. In their announcement Wednesday, they said they have also recently found a third new one they call a "super-earth" with a mass 8 times Earth's and an 84-day orbit.

Among the team's leading members are Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz, the Swiss leaders of the group that discovered the first known "exoplanet" in 1995 -- a gas giant circling a star named 52 Pegasi. That discovery was immediately confirmed by a Bay Area team led by Geoffrey Marcy of San Francisco State University and now at UC Berkeley. Of the 205 "exosolar" planets recorded, Marcy's team has found 135.

But Marcy was more reserved than other astronomers in his reaction to the European announcement, although he did call it "a marvelous discovery."

"I know that star well, as both the Swiss and we have been observing it for a long time," he said in an e-mail. "There is no evidence of water, so their guess is just that. This new planet could be a rock, a small Neptune-like planet, or even mostly gaseous."

David Spergel, chairman of Princeton astrophysics department, noted in a telephone interview that the new planet, if it is indeed rocky, must be "tidally locked" to its sun the way our moon is to the Earth -- which means that it must always show its same face to its sun, and that while one side would be too fiercely hot to support life, the other side would be too cold.

But at the terminator -- the margin between the hottest and coldest parts of the planet -- Spergel agreed that liquid water could well exist, hurricane force winds would blow, and although the planet would be "radically different" from Earth, life might well exist in that difficult environment. "This is a big, impressive step," Spergel said.

The European team has submitted its full report for publication in the international weekly journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 am
Trident says...

Very cool stuff. I hope they do find life there, and that it leads to some very cool discoveries.
Perception is everything.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:44 am
Sureal says...

Cool. It's only 1.5 times bigger than the Earth - that's by far the smallest planet found to date. I suspect the only reason we managed to locate it was because of its close orbit to its star: its year is only 13 days long.

If there is water there, it's predicted it'd be liquid. This is therefore our current best chance for finding life in the Universe. Shame its 20.5 lightyears away.

Still, astromoners will now be searching it for any signs of life. Traces of methane, or chlorophyll, etc.

Exciting. 8)
I wrote the above just for you.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:32 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yes, it is quite cool. Although, one could argue that we seem to be spending too much time looking for other planets, and for other signs of life, when we need to be concentrating on what's going on at home. I know that we may need this imformation eventually, to move on, and reinhabit, etc. but surely there are more pressing poblems going on here...? :S
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:37 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Sweet! That's pretty skippy! :o though I am in agreement with Kaz about the problems at hand... :p
Even if it's extremely unlikely, I hope it doesn't turn into a Ender'sGame-kinda-thing. DX
ohmeohmy

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:22 pm
Sureal says...

Kaz: I have to disagree with you. There is actually only a small fraction of the various different Government's money being spent on space research and exploration. Countless times more is being spent on the War in Iraq. NASA - which is one of, if not the, best funded space programs in the world - is struggling with the small ammount of money it recieves from the Government, and may need to lay off a number of its worker and abandon a number of projects.

And it's not as useless as you may think. Apart from having the potential to answer many questions (including: how did we get here? and is there any other life out there?) and being an important area of scientific research (I'm sure you wouldn't argue that learning how the Universe works is a waste of time), it also has the potential to help us, both in the short term and the long term.

In the short term, it can be used to look for alternative fuels. I believe there is already plans to exploit the moon's natural resources.

In the long term, it may help us to expand off the Earth. However, how could we do this if we hadn't already built up our knowledge of the Universe? Indeed, the first space hotels - which is a starting point - should be in business in around three years time.
I wrote the above just for you.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:08 pm
Cade says...

Oh, gosh, Ender's Game...not that!

My friend brought it up on the bus to school because she has made it her mission to find a happy article in the first section of the paper before she goes to school, and the new planet one was today's. She did find it funny that they said, "And it's only a million trillion bajillion years away!" (erm, paraphrased slightly) but I suppose in terms of life, the universe, and everything, it's not so far, is it?

I'm really not sure about the issue Kaz brought up - should we focus more on stuff at home here on Earth, or is space research more important? I do think there are more immediate issues here that need to be dealt with, but on the other hand, I think that a lot of the stuff going on here is wrong, and if those things had been prevented or better dealt with, we would be able to focus more on the world outside our tiny little planet. If...that make any sense. The people really decide, though - the article my friend found this morning was one of those dinky little ones that nobody reads, after all.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:40 am
Alteran says...

People forget that Time isn't a constant through the universe. Like we have differnet time zones on earth the universes does too. If you were to leave today and head out into space and come back in what was a month to you 100 years may have passed on earth.

Then theres the wormholes and the blackholes but that's another Astro-physics nightmare.

but yeah, for all we know the lfe on that planet already came and visited us. :)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:09 am
Dynamo says...

Who do I contact for X-wing reservations?
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue May 08, 2007 1:12 pm
Twit says...

LOL, Dynamo. Have there been any updates or new stuff about it lately? Love your signature, btw. :wink: :D
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun May 13, 2007 8:30 pm
Tie Dye Hero says...

Well... now we just need to find a planet where we can live after we screw the earth up so much we can't live here anymore. It could happen. ...its funny how that is also a sci-fi cliche.
I wish I was the evidence.

I wish I was the grounds

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson