z

Young Writers Society

Day Of Silence

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:16 am
Flemzo says...

Just wondering if anyone else has heard about this. It's a national event where people of all ages and backgrounds refuse to talk from 5 AM to 5 PM to promote awareness of harrassment towards the GLBT community. I would've bought a T-shirt, but you have to buy them 25 at a time (I don't know 25 people, much less 25 people that would share the cause), so I made my own (which was probably a mistake, being that my spatial awareness is bad, so my words end up being squished toward the end).

the website for more information is http://www.dayofsilence.org

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:45 pm
Cassandra says...

My school actually participated in this: people signed up all last week, and of course if a teacher asked them a question or something they were supposed to answer, but they were not to supposed to talk unless they really had to. Some of my friends participated; I wish I had. Next year I'm going to sign up, though: it's a good cause.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:36 pm
Casey has Faded says...

4th annual Day of Silence took place at my school. We get passes and remain silent, and if you have a class assignment where you HAVE to speak, you get an arm band that shows your support. Another high school in my area has students dress in all black, paint their faces white, and around their neck they have facts about teens who were either murdered or commited suicide...It's a very moving day, and it gets people interested in the GSA (gay straight alliance) club at my school
"Poetry is not an opinion expressed; it is a song that rises from a bleeding wound or a smiling mouth." -Kahlil Gibran

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:24 pm
Fireweed says...

A lot of people in my school participated in this. People who weren't speaking wore rainbow ribbons, and if you couldn't/didn't want to not speak but still wanted to show your support for tolerance of gays, you wore a purple ribbon. I was going to be silent but forgot to sign up, :roll: so I got a purple ribbon. It's a great event.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:30 pm
Teeeeo. says...

I participated.

Our teachers were all for it, too, whether it was wearing a DoS badge or making our daily activity non-verbal... Like miming in Japanese class XD

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:27 pm
Cade says...

Yeah, I did it. Some people got shirts, but there weren't enough. We all carried around cards that we showed to our teachers at the beginning of class so they wouldn't call on us. I had to plan ahead and reschedule my social studies presentation, but it didn't really interfere with other schoolwork.

I live in a really tolerant community, but there were still people at school who seemed to believe that all the people doing Day of Silence were gay or lesbian, which was really annoying. It's for all LGBT students AND their allies, and it really bothered me that people didn't know that. I have friends (of varied sexual orientations) who were made fun of because of it. Ugh.

:oops: I was bad and I spoke accidentally twice in class, just one word each time, and then seventh period I had free and I talked to some friends - I didn't have a point to make to them. I broke it early, right after school, because I was going to layout so I had to talk to help out, but then we had a bomb threat (erm yeah) and I ended up sitting out on the track for an hour and a half waiting for the school to be swept so I talked then, too.

It was a good thing.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:04 pm
Flemzo says...

I nearly made it the whole day... I had to participate in a class discussion about the Great Gatsby, because they were drawing conclusions that were inconsistent with the book (a REALLY big peeve for me).

Other than that, I lasted the whole day.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:15 pm
Teague says...

I just finished signing up for next year because I missed this year. Phooey.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Resistance is futile.
— The Borg