z

Young Writers Society

33 Dead in College Shooting

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:32 pm
Emerson says...

Wow... Just... wow. :cry: The world is always that much more scary when you have to read about/watch about these things in the news/on the news. I could cry.

31 dead in VA Tech shooting
By Sue Lindsey
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 04/16/2007 02:07:27 PM MDT

Blacksburg, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech today, killing at least 30 people and wounding dozens in the deadliest massacre in U.S. history. The gunman was killed, bringing to death toll to 31, but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."...

Read more here: http://origin.denverpost.com/sportscolu ... ci_5678667

It's horrible. If you turn on one of the 24/7 news channels, They'll probably be talking about it... My dad says they've been talking about it all day.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Terrible. And schools are where you're supposed to be safe?

EDIT: I heard that it was something to do with the gunman and his ex-girlfriend. He shot her, and then her new boyfriend, apparently. Just ridiculous. Such a tragic thing for such a pointless reason.
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:03 pm
McMourning says...

Thanks, Claudette. I hadn't heard that it was 30...just that he killed students. Or maybe I wasn't really paying attention. Anyway, thanks for telling me.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:07 pm
Trident says...

Yes, very sad. I hope the families will somehow be able to cope with this tragedy.

I suppose it's probably the deadliest school shooting to date. It's a shame these things are still happening.
Perception is everything.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:15 pm
Areida says...

It's scary to think about this kind of thing happening on our campuses here. I hope everything gets settled soon and that everything is handled the best it can be. :?
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:17 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

How horrible...I pray that the families of the deceased can make it through this and that some young idiot doesn't think that the idea is cool and decides to emulate it...
Thanks for putting it up, Claudette. :(

I just can't believe these things, sometimes....
ohmeohmy

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 pm
_fallingstar_ says...

I'm in Journalism class at school right now, and one of the guys just found that on the Web.

There are no words for how horrible this is.

EDIT: I will never understand why someone would think it would be cool to emulate Columbine.
Last edited by _fallingstar_ on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 pm
Via says...

It's up to 33 now.

That is scary. I have a serious need to shut my dorm door 24/7 currently.

I can't believe it was two different shootings and the college did nothing about it. They could have prevented the second shooting.

And they are cancelling classes....for tomorrow. Congratualtions, 33 of your friends were just killed in the worst shooting rampage in U.S. history and you get one day off and then you have to return to the death scene.

Welcome to non-sensitive college life.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:27 pm
Trident says...

I'm sure those that were directly affected may take some extra time off, but for the rest of the campus, it's probably best just to move on.
Perception is everything.

2058 Reviews

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:34 pm
Emerson says...

Yeah... It raised to 33, because there were 2 in the first shooting, then 31 (including the shooter) in the second.

We're still unaware as to whether there were two shooters, if they were related, etc.

Vigina Tech website. They have more info there, and stuff about the press release.

It's just... horrible.

My school started putting up precautions after the Amish school shooting, and there was another incident that was specifically in our state. I feel safe at school, but in all reality, anything could happen, anywhere. C'est la vie, sadly...

Viginia Tech News. I'm not sure if this is the same as above, but they have an audio clip of the press release.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:43 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

The worst thing about this, I think, is that most of it could have been prevented. I mean why didn't they put the school into lockdown immediately after the first killing occured? I heard it was almost two hours after that the other shooting happened. At least thirty lives could have been saved. :( I first heard about it at school and was terrified because a girl i'm very close to is currently going there. Luckily she wasn't hurt, but it's still very scary. I just can't imagine being in that situation.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:46 pm
Via says...

I have friends there too. It's not very far from my house. I'm awaiting return calls. *sits anxiously* Ranting saves my sanity.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

2058 Reviews

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:46 pm
Emerson says...

The reason they didn't lock down (which I heard in the press release) was because they thought it had been an isolated event.

In all reality, we don't know enough information yet. I'm sure we'll be hearing about this for months.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:50 pm
Dream Deep says...

My dad just told me about this - he's watching television downstairs. ... It makes you wonder, seriously, why people have to do this to each other, and without clear or just motivation.

The families of the victims will be in my thoughts as well.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:50 pm
Firestarter says...

How these shootings keep happening in the US is horrific.

Guns should be banned. Although, I suppose that's not the real problem. There are other countries with similar gun laws that don't experience the same problems, and banning guns doesn't stop gun crime. I wonder what the real root of all this is.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke