z

Young Writers Society

Cyber Bullying

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:20 pm
deleted6 says...

Videos of teachers or classmates being bullied should not be hosted by video sharing websites, the Education Secretary will say today.

Alan Johnson will tell a teachers' conference that youngsters armed with mobile phone cameras are causing misery.

They are filming schoolchildren and teachers being attacked or ridiculed then uploading their clips to video sharing websites.

Mr Johnson is to warn that such cyberbullying is "cruel and relentless" and is "able to follow a child beyond the school gates and into their homes".

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20070410/tuk-crackdown-targets-cruel-cyberbullies-45dbed5.html
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:17 pm
Alainna says...

I heard about this. Apparently MySpace is the main website that this is happening on, and it does happen as I hear people boasting at school about it.

Leave teachers alone, I mean once I'm out of school I don't want to bother with teachers.

Some people are really immature, get a new hobby!!

Alainna
xxxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:40 am
Pushca says...

I think this is more the fault of the sadism of our society and human nature than it is YouTube's and Myspace's. I don't understand the bit about the moral obligations of large corporations. If a corporation feels it has moral obligations, it certainly isn't a large corporation.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:20 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

What's wrong with people nowadays? You'd have to have a sick personality to find it amusing to upload videos containing abusive content. And even sicker to want to watch it. No wonder things like the college massacre happen, it seems that violence is becoming more and more prominent in the media. I once watched a programme on the top 100 commercials, and how an orange Tango dude punched the guy in the face. Apparently, that was too violent, so they changed it to a slap instead. And thus, the 'happy slap' was born.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:53 pm
Alainna says...

I saw that to! In fact we were having this very conversation in citizenship yesterday! There is too much violence and sex in the media today. You can't even watch Eastenders without hearing some harsh language.

Alainna
xxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:18 pm
The Jesseble says...

It's one thing to bully someone, but to be proud of it and show it off on the internet is just beyond disgusting. I agree with KazSmurf, it's horrible how these people want to watch such content. Even though bullying isn't considered as wrong as...murder for example, it's still wrong. The people who are 'happy-slappers' may become murderers or rapist...just vile people. Instead of suing the companies, the government should be helping the schools and parents so they can locate the problem people before they cause misery. This could help so much. I know that there is help for bullying victims, but the bullies still can get away with it. More should be done.

Have i made any sense or have i just ranted a load of waffle? heh

Tj
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:25 pm
Meep says...

I actually think that publishing someone's image (as in, a picture or a video) without their permission is illegal; at the very least, it's immoral. I do think that MySpace &c. are obligated, if not legally, then morally, to remove the videos.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:54 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

:sighs sadly: I'm a regular youtuber, and I generally stick to the anime geek regular - anime parodies, AMVs, assorted episodes and manga chapters in assorted languages- but I do check the "most viewed" occasionally to see if something halfway decent managed to show up. I can't remember seeing anything like that, though other disturbing titles...

The most disturbing thing about this, I think, is that people actually search for them and favorite them.
ohmeohmy

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:26 am
sabradan says...

My friend did a Speech To Entertain (STE) about this earlier this year for Speech.

Did you know that Cyber Bully comes from the Greek Word Cyberbullius which comes from Cyber, meaning "of the internet" and Bullius meaning "forced to walk home with your underwear in between your buttcheeks" ?
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx