z

Young Writers Society

Reviewing reviewing!

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:35 am
Shadow Knight says...

I don't mean to sound uh... Rude, for lack of a better word. But no matter what I try to do, I can never seen to get more than three or four reviews on my stories. And only ever on the first chapter. After that people stop commenting on it and it's near impossible for me to get any constructive criticism without sending it directly to someone.
I realize this is an issue that everybody has problems with, and it all comes down to some people being able to criticize constructively and others not being able to (myself for example, aside from general advice on grammar and spelling, I'm practically useless with criticizing. People are always commenting on the flow of a story, or other such things, but I just don't see/hear those things when I'm reading). What I want to ask, is if anyone has any ideas on this matter, or if there is somebody or a group of people I can go to get more help with my story?
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:30 am
McMourning says...

Hello!
Shadow Knight wrote:But no matter what I try to do, I can never seen to get more than three or four reviews on my stories.
First off, that's lucky! Not to whine, but I only got 1 person to review my last piece, and all she told me was to double-space my stories, because it's easier to read. That does not help me at all, and should not be posted as a review. A review is a critical evaluation, not a helpful hint.

Shadow Knight wrote:What I want to ask, is if anyone has any ideas on this matter, or if there is somebody or a group of people I can go to get more help with my story?
I think it'd be cool if we had a band of critic going around, to make sure that everyone was treated fairly. Maybe it could be just volunteers, or a special usergroup, or a special rank (like Admin and Moderator).
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:40 am
miyaviloves says...

I think that the crit group is a good idea, and i would be happy to review some of your stuff! I agree with the chapter thing, i think its becuase if people who have not read the first part see "Part two" in the title of something they tend to think oh well i have missed the start? I dunno :D Still i do get lots of reviews on some things less on others guess ti depends on the day and mood of people!
miyaviloves
Bag.

Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:18 am
Firestarter says...

About three critiquing groups have been started for the same reason, and they all fall apart.

If you want deeper critiques, I believe there are many workshops on the internet that do that. However, as always, YOU have to be critiquing other people at the same level.

Sk, you're complaining that nobody gives you good critiques while simultaenously admitting you can't give good critiques yourself. There's the problem. Learn how to critique better, give someone an awesome critique, and slowly you'll see the favours might be returned.

Or, if you want to be lucky like me (I always seem to get good critiques) make friends with the right people XD
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 am
McMourning says...

Firestarter wrote:Learn how to critique better, give someone an awesome critique, and slowly you'll see the favours might be returned.

I suppose that's true, because when someone gives me a decent critique, I tend to look at her portfolio. If she has 74 reviews (or etcetera) already, I'm not going to give her another, but I'll return the favour, if she only has one or two.
Last edited by McMourning on Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:42 am
bubblewrapped says...

There are actually two groups already working on the critiquing thing - the NRJ and SPEW (which does not officially exist, so you didnt hear it from me). Also, a lot of people are happy to crit for you if you PM them a link - at least, I know a lot of the ranking members (e.g. Snoink, Riedawriter, Claudette, and so on) are. The chat is also a good place to recruit critiquers. So you do have options!

That being said, I know what it's like not to receive much (good) advice on a story/poem that you desperately want to improve (or even just want looked over). A few things I suggest - one, check out when the site is busiest, your time, and try to post things when a greater number of people are around to see them. Two, put yourself out there. I dont mean, like, spam everyone with links to your story or whatever, but dont be afraid to ask people in the chat - very politely, of course - if they have the time to just give a particular piece the once-over. We do have a lot of new members right now which means that the postings are largely (i) unhelpful crits or (ii) their own work (no offense to new members!). But I'm sure if you ask there will be plenty of people willing to help out. Oh yes, and critiquing others (even if they have a lot of crits already) is a good way to get attention hehe.

You can always PM me, too :D
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:51 pm
Shadow Knight says...

I agree Jack, but you can't just go out and learn to criticize... Like I said, when I read a story, I just don't see those things. Even if i'm looking for them. Plus there's no place you can go to learn how to criticize.

And about the Chatroom... I do try it every now and then, but so far I haven't met with a lot of success. :P
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:02 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

The Young Writers Society is a place to learn how to critique. Don't just read stories here; also read the critiques. You can learn from them.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:28 pm
Sureal says...

1) Try critting lots of people. Not only may you get the occasional 'thank you' crit in return, but you'll also attract the attention of the other critters.

2) Try putting a link to your story in your sig.

3) Make sure your story has an interesting name. This is the first thing anyone will see of your story, and interesting name is needed to grab people's attention. Calling it 'Untitled' tends to put some people off.

4) Make sure the story isn't too long. As a rule of thumb, longer stories recieve less replies, as they take longer to crit (not to mention very long stories put people off). Try spitting your story up into chapters if it's very long.

5) Post an advert in your blog.

6) Bug people in the chat.

7) Some people have a 'PM me for a review' in their sig. Try giving them a PM.

8) Avoid asking (or worse yet, demanding) for crits in a seperate post in the thread. This puts some people off.
I wrote the above just for you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:24 am
Snoink says...

Critique other people's work and make sure it's a good critique. There are several writing tutorials on how to write good critiques -- use those. Also, if it helps, find a critic who you admire and see how that person does his critiques.

More than that, analyze the way you read stories. I know a lot of people that say, "Oh, I don't know any grammar, so that makes me useless." Wrong. You can at least comment on the story/poem, tell you how it felt, and so on. It doesn't have to be all about the grammar.

The more you critique, the more interested in you other critiquers (especially the good critiquers) will become in you. This is because we see that you can be analytical in your writing and you can possibly make things better.

So yeah. Just critique. It'll possibly get better.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 333
Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:21 pm
emotion_less says...

i think what a lot of people tend to do is only critique people they know/are friends with/are "popular"

i don't know. if you look at all the unanswered posts, you can see how many are just from the past 2 or 3 days.

granted, some aren't pieces. but... yeah. i don't know. maybe we should try not to all critique one person? =)

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 pm
Incandescence says...

SK -

You have received very good suggestions here. I can only add that you must also consider what it is you're writing versus the pool of potential readers, here and elsewhere. Part of keeping a fanbase is knowing how to pace your stories, and, let's face it, how to write effective, gripping prose.

I'm not suggesting you don't; I am suggesting, once again, that you need to consider your audience. What is effective and gripping for one group of people may not be for another, and it's important that you know where/who your readers are. For instance, I initially posted "Chionophobia" here and two other sites, and I ended up pulling it down from the other two because the audience simply wasn't interested.

Hoping you find more help,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory