"Knut Day" In Berline As Polar Bear Cub Goes Publi

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:05 pm
Nate says...

"Knut Day" in Berlin as polar bear cub goes public
Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:16am

By Madeline Chambers

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany's youngest celebrity, Knut the polar bear cub, made his much-anticipated public debut at Berlin Zoo on Friday and appeared unfazed by the media scrum surrounding his first excursion.

The three-and-a-half-month old white cub padded gingerly round his new enclosure to the gasps and sighs of onlookers.

Fortified by a breakfast of porridge, the puppy-sized cub sniffed the grass and rolled in the dust before delighting the crowds by splashing in a pond.

"I want to take him home," said Daniel Wolff, five, whose mother had bought him a specially made "Knut" cuddly polar bear toy on sale on a stand outside the enclosure.

My favorite quotes:

"I want to take him home," said Daniel Wolff, five...

At least 200 journalists from around the globe gathered at the zoo for "Knut Day", and his outing threatened to overshadow the start of a major EU summit taking place in the capital at the weekend, zoo official Ragnar Kuehne said.

Read The Whole Thing

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:36 pm
Meep says...

That's awesome, about the summit. I mean, polar bears clearly beat out politicians any day.

(I Google'd pictures of him, no wonder people are more interested in that! He's adorable!)

Unfortunately, some people say he should be put down, because he was bottle fed and raised by a human and not a bear. Something about behavioral problems and animal welfare laws.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

The sun can square up and fight me. Apollo is just another bi disaster, and I could take him.
— AlmostImmortal