'We Want This Polar Bear Dead' Say Animal Rights Lobby

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:56 pm
Nate says...

'We want this baby polar bear dead' say animal rights lobby
By ALLAN HALL
20th March 2007

Tiny, fluffy and adorable, Knut the baby polar bear became an animal superstar after he was abandoned by his mother.

He rapidly became the symbol of Berlin Zoo, whose staff bottle-fed him and handed out cuddles in between

When Knut was born last December his mother ignored him, zoo officials intervened and chose to raise him themselves

At three months old, however, the playful 19lb bundle of fur is at the centre of an impassioned debate over whether he should live or die.

Animal rights activists argue that he should be given a lethal injection rather than brought up suffering the humiliation of being treated as a domestic pet.

Activists argue that it is inappropriate for a predator, known for its fierceness and ability to fend for itself in the wild, to be snuggled

"The zoo must kill the bear," said spokesman Frank Albrecht. "Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws."

Read The Whole Thing

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:00 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Wow...that's horrible. I can't believe those people are making a fuss. How would they feel if someone else said they had to be killed because they were carnivores and hunters, and couldn't be snuggled? Honestly.

EDIT: And seriously...that little thing is SO CUTE!!! :huggles:
Last edited by Sumi H. Inkblot on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohmeohmy

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:01 pm
Incandescence says...

This is incredibly stupid and what happens when people get so wrapped up in any one belief system that they're blinded to reason.

They say it is humiliating for Knut, but does Knut feel humiliated? Near as I can tell, he's quite happy.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:12 pm
Sureal says...

They argue that current treatment of the cub is inhumane and could cause him future difficulties interacting with fellow polar bears.

Being dead would make it easier for him to interact with his fellow polar bears?
I wrote the above just for you.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:25 pm
Lilyy03 says...

That is just utterly idiotic. If he's happy and healthy, how can they think he ought to be dead?

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:28 pm
Ego says...

...Don't we snuggle Tigers and stuff in Zoos? Just saying.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:14 pm
gyrfalcon says...

That's NUTS!!! Aren't cats and dogs predatory animals, carnivores, and don't we snuggle them like crazy! *steams*
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:07 pm
Sureal says...

Also who wouldn't want to hug that polar bear?
I wrote the above just for you.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:14 pm
Jules the jester says...

I think the Animal rights fellows that said that should be locked up in a small room with the cute lil fellow and see if they can kill it cos sure as hell they wouldnt be abel to.

The stupid fools. and yes admittly i dont say this much But i think the lil fellow is cute.

-jules

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:14 pm
Magyk says...

It ridiculous. If it was taken into that zoo a few months after it was abandoned by its mother there would be no complaints. It's way too cute to kill. And I do agree that cats are predatory animals and we 'snuggle' them all the time.

Keep the bear alive.

Random avatar

Reviews: 25
Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:41 pm
Nyconz421 says...

Isn't animal rights group trying to protect animals? I thought that they were....yet they want to kill this one, destroy its life because THEY feel it would hurt the animal? Sorry, I dont get it. I'm pretty sure the polar bear is pretty happy about where he is and the attention its getting. Let the zoo handle it. DONT KILL IT OUT OF FEELING IT WOULD BE HAPPIER DEAD. NOTHING IS HAPPIER DEAD, THEY'RE JUST DEAD. Duh!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:02 am
Snoink says...

DUDE. Keep it alive.

Geez, people are stupid.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:13 am
Shadow Knight says...

Snoink wrote:DUDE. Keep it alive.

Geez, people are stupid.

Nothing is permanent, except for change... And human stupidity.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:52 pm
Via says...

Hmm. Lets see....kill it, or feed it by hand.

Do you think if Knut could talk he would say, "No, I am too humiliated by my hand-feedings that I just think you should kill me"? Um, no.

Geeze, I'm all for animal rights--but this is going way to far.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:34 pm
Ofour says...

If they ask for the polar bear to be killed then they should ask for every enimal in captivity recieving artifivial sustinence to be killed. No more zoos. They cannot just attack a specific incident and ignore the other cases, the only reason this made the news was because the little bear is cute, and makes a lot of people go awwwww.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness
— Allen Ginsburg