z

Young Writers Society

'We Want This Polar Bear Dead' Say Animal Rights Lobby

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:11 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Shadow Knight wrote:Nothing is permanent, except for change... And human stupidity.

AMEN! Hey, is there a petition we can sign somewhere to keep the cutie alive?
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:22 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Animal rights activists argue that he should be given a lethal injection rather than brought up suffering the humiliation of being treated as a domestic pet.

What a totally idiotic statement. Animals like this, as far as we can tell, are incapable of feeling human emotions (of course primates are an exception, purely because of the closeness of their DNA to ours). They run on instinct. Therefore, what humiliation would he be suffering? And isn't survival one of the foremost instincts of most animals? And to say that it shouldn't be hand-reared and fed by humans because it is a carnivore is absolutely ridiculous. It is quite likely that the majority of those activists own dogs. Dogs are pack animals, and yet it is somewhat doubtful that you'd find any of those people with more than two dogs at the very most. And I bet they don't kill their cats because they are domesticated either.

It is ironic that the reason they seem to want to kill this animal is to give it a better life. At least, that's the impression they're giving. To kill an animal because of something that it couldn't control is not just bad because it is cute. It is morally wrong.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:12 pm
Thriving Fire says...

I'd like to see how those animal rights activists treat humans...
The only reason someone or something should die is if nature takes its course with them, or if they really would be better off dead. And for the life of me, I can't see a reason why a cute, cuddly, non-threatening, healthy, happy, well looked-after animal would be better off dead.
And as for humiliation: did anyone ever ask him if he felt humiliated? Didn't think so.
Last edited by Thriving Fire on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:23 pm
Meep says...

Really, guys, I'm sure this isn't a conclusion they arrived at lightly. While I don't agree with it, you can see why a derranged polar bear would be a Bad Thing. I don't think Knut ought to be put down, but the fact remains that, since he wasn't raised like a normal polar bear, he might have some weird "personality" problems later in life, and as I said, a derranged polar bear could be incredibly dangerous.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:28 pm
Thriving Fire says...

Yeah, but come on... The thing's in a zoo! It's not like he's roaming around, free as a bird! And it would surprise me if the animal rights people took one look at him and said 'Right, he's cute, so he deserves to die.' Perhaps that's an exagerration, but there's truth in it, I would say.
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:20 pm
Areida says...

Awww... he's so cute!

It drives me crazy when people try so hard to reach a goal that eventually their thinking becomes backwards enough that they start achieving the opposite of that goal.

I will not be a happy camper if they kill that sweet little ball of fluff.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:33 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

My co-workers and I are appalled they would want to kill something that cute.

:D

It looks like from another article I read they are going to NOT kill Knut.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Cade says...

In the wild, a cub would die if its mother abandoned it. A tragedy to young animal lovers everywhere, but hey, it's life. It's nature.

A zoo, however, is hardly a place for nature to take its course. Since it's not in the wild, they do have a responsibility to keep the cub alive. I am opposed to the consequences of this. No, Knut is not humiliated, but he's not normal, either.

If they argue that Knut should die because he's only being kept alive at the hands of humans and not by natural means, doesn't it logically follow that we shouldn't feed our pets or perform surgery on injured or diseased animals?

I'm opposed to zoos, really. Conservatories and other designated areas of minor human interference are much better places for nature to carry itself out. Cute little Knut is what happens when humans think they can control these things.

He is adorable, but he'll get bigger, and big animals that have been raised cuddle-style by humans can be even more dangerous than those in the wild. I'm sad that he's not going to be...mentally okay, but he'll be alive, and hopefully happy.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:40 pm
Meep says...

The difference between pets like dogs and cats and wild animals like polar bears is that dogs and cats are domesticated, and they have been for a very, very long time. (I think it's something like 10,000 years for dogs, 6,000 years for cats.)
Polar bears, however, have not been domesticated. If Knut develops weird behavior, such as an abnormal attatchment to his caregiver, he could quite easily kill something over it. If Knut just grows up to be like all of the other polar bears there, it won't be a problem.
If a cat attacks you, just kick it. If a polar bear attacks you, you're dead. *slicing motion* Dead.

I'm not saying I agree with them, I'm saying I can see where they're coming from.

(Also, all baby mammals are cute. We're programmed to respond to them by saying "aaawww" and wanting to cuddle, no matter how vicious they may or may not be. We do need to remember this is a polar bear we're talking about, and polar bears have big, sharp claws and nasty teeth. As I said earlier, a derranged polar bear could be incredibly dangerous.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:51 am
Alteran says...

Ofour wrote:If they ask for the polar bear to be killed then they should ask for every animal in captivity recieving artifivial sustinence to be killed. No more zoos.

And if we lived by their logic every child orphaned or put up for adoption or found in a trash can should be killed.

Funny how a group of young writers has more sense than an entire activist organization

Retards.....grrr.....
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:39 am
Sureal says...

Cadium: They intend for Knut to be as independant of humans as possible. At the moment, there are only humans looking after him because it'd be impossible for him to live otherwise. As he gets older, they'll introduce him more and more to other bears, and to independance, so that he'll rely on humans far less.
I wrote the above just for you.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:31 pm
Shadow Knight says...

I think we have four polar bears in Seaworld here... Nobody's made any complaints about them.

I wouldn't call them normal polar bears either, last time I saw them one of them decided he'd do backflips off of the underwater observeration windows to show off.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:46 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

If a polar bear attacks you, you're dead. *slicing motion* Dead.

I'm not saying I agree with them, I'm saying I can see where they're coming from.

They are not arguing that the bear is a danger to people. Their argument is that the bear will be "humiliated" and have an unhappy life. They don't give a toss whether or not the keepers get hurt.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26