z

Young Writers Society

Possible new writer's site

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:04 am
AWritersFantasy says...

First, I hope this is allowed in this section (this is the first place I thought of to post it on th eboard), so please let me know if it's not.

So, long story short, I found http://theplotninjas.com which is a web site hosted by a NaNoer where you can get your own domain on their site for free as long as the web site has some form of your writing on it! I finally got a response from the host, and I was able to set up the FTP acccount. Once I figure things out in Dreamweaver, I'll be able to really work on the web site.

We're allowed to have as many sub-domains as possible. I was thinking of having a sub-domain (although with how confused Dreamweaver is making me, it might be easier to make it be on the main domain that I have) where I'd have a site for writers, and would include a message board (I all ready have a board host in mind- the best thing about it is that you can customize what goes in the profile (the "question" type things). :D

So, the main point of this post? I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining such a site (I all ready have a name in mind- Inspired Writers, based on the recent LJ community I made), and/or possibly helping to moderate once it's set up? I'm not quite sure when this'll happen (probably in the next few months, once I get the web site in general set up and get Dreamweaver figured out), but I figured I'd ask any way, and also offer it as a resource for any one who's wanted a web site for their writing. The best part about it is that the host really doesn't expect you to know much coding. You need to have FTP knowledge, but that part is really easy, and if you use something like Dreamweaver, it should be fine.

So, yes, I'm done rambling. ^_^ If anyone's interested in helping with this, send me a PM on the site and we can start planning. I'd say one of the requirements would be having an idea of how to get around the administrative stuff on a message board (I've never used the host I plan on using before but I wouldn't expect it to be that different from PHPBB or something like that), and possibly any HTML coding experience, for just in case. Having a program such as Dreamweaver is by no means a requirement, but is a plus, as is having a program like Photoshop.

So, yes. I'm done now!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 am
Snoink says...

Oooo... this looks pretty awesome! If I wasn't hosted already, I might look into this. Maybe some of our other writers would be interested?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

59 Reviews

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:16 am
AWritersFantasy says...

It is pretty awesome! The only thing I'm having trouble with is getting around Dreamweaver. o___o I'm really hoping that I get it figured out before the person hosting it takes it down. I have two weeks to do it.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:19 am
Snoink says...

Well... if you can't use dreamweaver, the simplest thing would be to use notepad (for windows) or text wrangler (for macs). There, you can come up with a very basic website design using basic HTML. If you want any help, feel free to ask. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

59 Reviews

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:29 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Eck...I had to do it that way before (we'd write out the code and then...I think we'd open it in a program, but I forget what one it was. It was a mac program) when I took a web design class a few semesters ago. I know basic HTML, but I was hoping to be able to get out of doing it with coding by using Dreamweaver. >.> I think what I really need is Frontpage, because I think it has a better WYSYWIG editor. I dunno why, but I thought the WYSYWIG editor in Dreamweaver would kind of be like the Pagebuilder for Geocities for some reason. o___o I really need to play around with Dreamweaver more, I guess.

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:10 pm
miyaviloves says...

This sounds really interesting, but im not too good with all the coding things, i know the absolute basics, but i would be happy to help with anything else ^_^
Bag.

Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:11 pm
Nate says...

I've never been able to use those WSYYYFTUFXET editors; too much pointing and clicking. I much rather just type everything out.

Good luck with the site! The best thing to do to get it promoted is to go on other writing sites and just give the members a heads up that a new writing site is in town.

I'm not sure about the specifics of the hosting service, but if they allow you to upload phpBB to create the community aspect, I'd definitely go for it. It's the most versatile and, in my opinion, best forum service out there (and it's free!).

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns