z

Young Writers Society

From The States? Don't Forget About DST.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:30 am
Nate says...

The United States Congress got it into their heads last year that'd it be a fantastic idea to bump up daylight savings time by a month as it conserves a bit more energy. They just never thought that it's costing millions (hundreds of millions, maybe billions, if you take into account the lost labor) to make the change.

So in any case, don't forget that if you live in the United States (and don't live in Arizona, Hawaii, or some counties in Indiana) you need to set your clocks an hour forward Saturday night when you go to bed (DST switches on at 2 am on Sunday). This means you will also have to change your timezone on YWS as the software for YWS does not take into account DST (never has).

By the way, what does everyone think of the change? Besides the fact that I think it was extremely shortsighted for Congress to do, I am looking forward to it. Will be very nice to finally be able to go running again after work.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:38 am
Bella says...

i like the fact that it's still dark at 6:30 in the morning when I get up. That's the best part of DST...during the winter I wake up to light in my window...i hate it! But I hate rememberign to change everything; it took me long enough to figure out my timezone on this the first time I set it; I only reset it 6 or 7 times! (yes i'm that pathetic.)
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:59 am
Emerson says...

I like being able to walk to the bus in the morning; rather than what feels like night. I also like it being bright until as late as 9, once we get farther into summer.

I'm excited.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:28 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I'm not sure I can speak about congress in polite terms.

Once I get used to the time change, I'll be fine.

For about three weeks though I'll be a complete and utter wreck.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:15 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Yeah, uh...all the clocks in my house are like ten minutes fast, because everyone in my family is usually late. :lol: This is gonna make it worse.

I foresee a broken alarm clock in my room, in the future....Heehee. :mrgreen:
ohmeohmy

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:23 pm
Via says...

It gives the illusion that summer is actually close...for that I love and hate the change. But, I love it being lighter as it gets later--I could care less about the morning light anymore hehe. So, it's good I suppose...it would just be better if the temperature outside was continually bouncing between freezing and just-above-freezing.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:21 am
Teague says...

Yay living in Arizona where DST is like a dodo bird: nonexistant. =D

EDIT: There's actually parts of Arizona that observe DST. Some Indian reservation up north.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:23 am
Snoink says...

...I am going to vote against any person who supported that bill. I hate DST. ><
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:14 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

We always change the clocks this time of year over here. Is just natural. I'm looking forward to more light in the evenings though. It stays light to about 11 pm in the middle of Summer. Yay!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:29 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

DST=evil. Nothing nastier then waking up with your body telling you to stay in bed for another hour.
ohmeohmy

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:46 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Contrary to popular belief, it's actually Daylight Saving, not 'savings'. Wait, why don't Arizona and (some counties in) Arizona have DST?

There are 12 Washington lobbying organizations fully or substantially dedicated to putting an end to Daylight Saving Time.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:51 am
Royboy says...

I like day light saving. It's nice to wake up and see that it's actually dark out still. I can watch the sunrise. It feels so much more like summer. It really signals summer in warm times like these.

And Arizona and some counnties in Arizona don't have DLS because they're so close to the equator. who needs to save daylight if it's around the same sunrise and sunsetting times all year long?
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:11 pm
Teague says...

Royboy wrote:
And Arizona and some counnties in Arizona don't have DLS because they're so close to the equator. who needs to save daylight if it's around the same sunrise and sunsetting times all year long?

We're not any closer to the equator than New Mexico or California. That doesn't make sense, because the days do get longer and shorter here, which wouldn't happen closer to the equator. This Wikipedia map should help you understand.

I'm not sure why Arizona doesn't observe DST. I guess it's a political thing.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:30 pm
Nate says...

Royboy may be right. Arizona may have chosen because it's close to the equator, but just because it chose that way doesn't mean other states have to choose that way.

In trying to find out why Arizona doesn't follow DST, I came across this interesting article:
http://www.holidaycityflash.com/article/world_time.htm

Not sure how correct it is though as it contains this rather interesting nugget of information:
Newfoundland in the United States is the other famous example

Newfoundland was actually offered to the United States by Britain following WWII, but the US declined the offer (along with the Bahamas). Instead, Canada snapped it up.

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina