z

Young Writers Society

Dragons FTW!

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:03 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yes, because New York really was ravaged by a giant ape that lived on an undiscovered skull-shaped island with dinosaurs and primitive tribesmen, and who just happened to "fall in love" with a human woman. Very real. Dragons are not real, but they are so not real that it makes it acceptable. Huge gorillas... half real, half not real... I find that insulting (gorillas, by the way, also do not count as monkeys).

As for accusations that dragons are aggresive, monkeys are some of the most aggresive species on the planet. And, if we're delving into fiction, have none of you monkey-lovers ever seen films such as 28 Days Later and Outbreak? Both revolve around a deadly virus, and in both the virus carriers are... yes, you guessed it... monkeys! Dragons may be destructive at times, but at least they have never been identified as the cause of plagues with the potential to wipe out the entire human race. Do we really want something with such a deadly identity representing the world of writing?

Also, monkeys, as far as we can tell, are neither particularly "cute/gentle" or intelligent. They are extremely territorial, again something that we don't wish to promote for the site. Dolphins are far more intelligent, and chimpanzees even more so, but, as chimpanzees do not come under the classification of monkey, they do not count.

Dragons are widely considered noble, wise, intelligent, and have been an inspiration to many. So... VOTE DRAGON!!
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:45 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

ALSO, Dragons can start campfires, roast weenies with their breath, FLY -let's see a chimpanzee do that without help, eh?- speak, have undoubtedly tons of treasure somewhere underneath your nose, get rid of annoying pests like door-to-door salesmen and stalkers, be personal body guards, help the environment by being transportation without wasting gas, something to scare terrorists with, and move the cable dish or occasionally in the middle of a game. :P

Haha....had to say that xD
ohmeohmy

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:45 pm
Sureal says...

Yes, because New York really was ravaged by a giant ape that lived on an undiscovered skull-shaped island with dinosaurs and primitive tribesmen, and who just happened to "fall in love" with a human woman. Very real.

*coughs*

I could rebutt this, but I'm sure everyone can figure out what I'm thinking for themselves ;).

As for accusations that dragons are aggresive, monkeys are some of the most aggresive species on the planet.

Monkeys are certainly aggresive, but I have no idea where the 'some of the most aggresive' bit comes from. I'm sure everyone can think of many far more aggresive animals - such as tigers, sharks, wolves, etc.

And, if we're delving into fiction, have none of you monkey-lovers ever seen films such as 28 Days Later and Outbreak? Both revolve around a deadly virus, and in both the virus carriers are... yes, you guessed it... monkeys! Dragons may be destructive at times, but at least they have never been identified as the cause of plagues with the potential to wipe out the entire human race. Do we really want something with such a deadly identity representing the world of writing?

Actually it was the viruses, not the monkeys, that had the potential to wipe out the human race. The monkeys were just victims, like humans were. Your argument here may as well be that it was the human victims that could have wiped out the human race - those evil victims :P!

Also, monkeys, as far as we can tell, are neither particularly "cute/gentle" or intelligent.

Not cute? Have you never seen a monkey before? They can be gentle too. And they are actually rather intelligent - especially if you count chimpanzees as monkeys.

Dolphins are far more intelligent, and chimpanzees even more so, but, as chimpanzees do not come under the classification of monkey, they do not count.

Scientifically speaking, chimpanzees are not monkeys.

But scientifically speaking, killer whales are not whales, humans are related to bananas, and a tomato is a fruit.

Under common usage, a chimpanzee falls under the blanket term 'monkey', even if scientists don't classify them that way.

As a side note, some scientists want to classify the common chimpanzee and the bonobo chimpanzee as beind part of the Homo genus. Despite this, I'm sure you would never call a chimpanzee a human.

Common usage trumps scientific classification here.

Personally, I think one of the main reasons to not have dragons as our mascott is because they're a fantasy creature (really, there's no denying it - they only appear in fantasy stories), which gives the wrong impression of the site.
I wrote the above just for you.

280 Reviews

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:49 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Well, anybody who thinks from the merest trace of a mascot dragon that YWS is a fantasy site. That person is a DUNDERHEAD and we are better off without them.
ohmeohmy

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:54 pm
McMourning says...

Baroness Ink wrote:Well, anybody who thinks from the merest trace of a mascot dragon that YWS is a fantasy site.That person is a DUNDERHEAD and we are better off without them.

You could say the same thing about a monkey, couldn't you?
Anybody who thinks from the merest trace of a mascot monkey that YWS is a cartoon site...
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

506 Reviews

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:58 pm
Sureal says...

How could a website called 'The Young Writers Society' be mistaken for a cartoon site? It could, however, be mistaken for a fantasy site, if that's what the design (ie. dragon mascott) implies.

280 Reviews

280 Reviews

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:01 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

My epic tale of psp'ing continues... ;)
ohmeohmy

Random avatar

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pm
McMourning says...

Monkey's are cartoonish.

(But dragons aren't.)

506 Reviews

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:24 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

McMourning: You missed my point.

I'll repeat it:

"How could a website called 'The Young Writers Society' possibly be mistaken for a cartoon site?"

However, a writing site with a fantasy animal for its mascot could certainly be mistaken for a writing sites that focuses primarily on fantasy stories.

Baroness Ink: Cute :).

And the mascot should be cute too - like a monkey (and unlike a dragon) :).

Random avatar

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:26 pm
McMourning says...

Cartoons are writing, last time I checked.

506 Reviews

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:28 pm
Sureal says...

Cartoons are a visual media; drawings; illustrations. Writing is what I am doing now.
Last edited by Sureal on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

280 Reviews

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:29 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Haha. Arigato! :D

I kinda think it should be a WINGED monkey because it's
1) a combination of dragon and monkey (compromise is always good)
2) a creation of L. Frank Baum, the author of the Oz series, one of the best authors EVER!
3)
Monkeys=cool
Dragons=Cooler
Winged Monkeys=Coolness factor of googleplex :P
ohmeohmy

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:52 pm
Nate says...

Heh, I looked at winged monkeys for a background following the flying pigs, but even years after having watched The Wizard of Oz, winged monkeys still scare me...

Random avatar

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:59 pm
McMourning says...

Nate wrote:even years after having watched The Wizard of Oz, winged monkeys still scare me...

Yeah, they do look kind of scary still. But, you could make the mascot cuter than the Wizard of Oz ones.

It always seems impossible until it's done.
— Nelson Mandela