z

Young Writers Society

Dragons FTW!

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:17 pm
Crysi says...

My fellow writers,

It pleases me to inform you, as the representative of the dragons, that we will NOT be dropping out of the running, as some monkeys would have you believe. In fact, we are confident in our ability to win this election and serve for four years! Or, at least, as many years as YWS requires a mascot.

There have been accusations that we have no reasons as to why the dragon should represent the members of YWS. Such claims are nonsense - we didn't wish to show our hand before the campaign began, now did we? In fact, there are many reasons that the dragon, and not the monkey, should be our new mascot.

Dragons have been the inspiration to many throughout the history of writing. Does this make them cliche? No! It proves that they are a lasting symbol, one that encourages writers to continue on, even if the world doesn't believe in their work (much as the world doesn't believe in dragons). They are also a clear symbol, one every writer will know points to writing.

For those of you who have seen the movie Dragonheart, the dragons I speak of are very similar to the dragons in that movie. They are wise, honest, noble, and follow the "old code" that sets them apart from other creatures. Why not associate ourselves with them?

They are strong, which I know represents many members on this site. Many members have had to endure hardships recently, and every single one of those members has overcome them, or is in the process of overcoming them. For these members, the dragon can surely represent their strong hearts.

Dragons are rare creatures. Publishers are always looking for the "rare" piece, the unique piece, the one that will conquer all. They are also aggressive, as some of the monkey supporters have "accused." We feel no insult from that comment, however, as it is true. But is it not also true that writers must be aggressive in order to succeed in the writing world? We must always be on the lookout for the aforementioned rare plot, and we must snatch it before anyone else dares steal it. We cannot be timid in our attempts to win in the publishing world.

Finally, every part of the dragon represents who we are as writers. The dragon's fire represents our undying passion for writing, burning a path to victory. The scaly armor represents our strength and how, when we receive critiques, we are not harmed by harsh words but absorb the advice in them. The teeth represent our tenacious editing. In order to help writers improve, we must sometimes tear apart their piece and help them put it back together. The tail represents the lasting quality of our writing. No matter where we go or what we do, writing will always follow us. The wings represent our inspiration and opportunity. At YWS, we encourage every writer to go for his or her dreams, and many of our writers have already been published. We know that if you let your imagination soar, you will find wondrous places to land.

Dragons, as you can see, are not mere cliche representations of fantasy. They apply to all genres. Do we not encourage writers to take cliches and turn them into something new? Why, then, should we not take the dragon and return it to its former glory by redefining what it stands for?

To all you monkey lobbyists out there, I suggest you "quit monkeying around" and halt in your foolish ways. The true future of YWS is in the claws of the dragon, our rightful new mascot and ever-lasting symbol!

Thank you.
Love and Light

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:42 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

:raises fist: HEAR HEAR!
Dragons also are commonly "immortal"- and a writer's work, once out in the world, can also be everlasting. We are still reading the Bible, "Little Women", Mark Twain, Charles Dickens and countless other classic books and authors. Truly, paper and ink may fade away in time- but the words, phrases and meanings will still linger in our minds. The dragon! The dragon!

~Sumi
ohmeohmy

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:29 pm
Ego says...

Dragons DO f*ck the world, and that's why MONKEYS are better--for the ENJOY the world.

;)

I rest my case.

What, you really thought I was done?

They are also a clear symbol, one every writer will know points to writing.

Quite the contrary, my dear Crysi. Dragons are a symbol of village razings, virgin eatings, and arroance. ...Not writing.

For those of you who have seen the movie Dragonheart, the dragons I speak of are very similar to the dragons in that movie.

Your point? the dragons *I* speak of live in Reign of Fire, where dragons, awakened from their slumber, drop humanity to a mere speck on the planet, instead of the top of the food chain.

They are strong, which I know represents many members on this site. Many members have had to endure hardships recently, and every single one of those members has overcome them, or is in the process of overcoming them. For these members, the dragon can surely represent their strong hearts.

Yes, we as people are strong. Dragons, however, are only strong because of their natural weapons and their THICK SKINS.

Monkeys survived actual hardships, just as we have, WITHOUT natrual weapons, and WITHOUT thick skins. They survive through cleverness, intelligence, COMMUNITY, and sheer force of will. We are the same.

We feel no insult from that comment, however, as it is true. But is it not also true that writers must be aggressive in order to succeed in the writing world? We must always be on the lookout for the aforementioned rare plot, and we must snatch it before anyone else dares steal it. We cannot be timid in our attempts to win in the publishing world.

With an attitude like that, this webiste would not exist, because no one would trust anyone else to read their work. We do not want this perspective to represent us as a community of young writers looking to help one another be successful. By the way, did you know that monkeys groom one another, to stay healthy? Much like we groom each other's stories for bugs, kinks, and errors, so they might do better in the publishing world?

Finally, every part of the dragon represents who we are as writers. The dragon's fire represents our undying passion for writing, burning a path to victory.

Last I knew, a dragon's fire was used to burn through actual things. Like villages.

The teeth represent our tenacious editing. In order to help writers improve, we must sometimes tear apart their piece and help them put it back together.

Props on that analogy. But ah...Monkeys have sharp teeth too. RAWR. And ah...dragons don't help put things back together. They merely destroy.

Stay tuned for a torrent of replies from the monkeys. Hope your thick hides are tough enough to hold you against the truth.
Last edited by Ego on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:33 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Create your own thread Hunter, there's no reason to crash Crysi's thread.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

576 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:36 pm
Ego says...

*shrugs* hey, it's called a counter-arguement. I fully plan on making my own thread dedicated to praising the monkey.
Got YWS? I do.

280 Reviews

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:36 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

DRAGON! DRAGON!
Go mess up some other thread, Hunter.
Last edited by Sumi H. Inkblot on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohmeohmy

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:35 pm
Snoink says...

Please keep this civil and don't trash-talk other members.

With that said... um... what does FTW mean?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

280 Reviews

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Gomen nasai. :breathes heavily through nose:
Come to think of it, I have no idea. I thought it was "For The Winner" but it's probably something else altogether. :lol:
ohmeohmy

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:36 am
Crysi says...

Close, Baroness. ;) It's "For The Win."

I'd be happy to continue this debate in a different thread, but this is an address to the public. Take your furry butt somewhere else. ;)

P.S.

Dragons DO f*ck the world, and that's why MONKEYS are better--for the ENJOY the world.

My, my. Such language. And you call dragons aggressive?

Oh, and I do believe you meant "THEY enjoy the world," for ENJOY is not a noun, and even if it were, it still wouldn't make much sense.

Monkeys may possess some primitive intelligence, but dragons easily surpass their levels. ;)
Love and Light

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:45 am
Bella says...

Dragon's are not necessarily hellraising creatures! I didn't think it would come to this but, take a look at my profile picture. Yes, it's silly and little kiddish, but Dragontales is just another sign that dragons can make it through ANYTHING!

Horah to Crysi! Fly high dragon lovers!

~Jacks~

DRAGONS FOR LIFE!!!
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

576 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:02 am
Ego says...

Crysi wrote:
My, my. Such language. And you call dragons aggressive?

Oh, and I do believe you meant "THEY enjoy the world," for ENJOY is not a noun, and even if it were, it still wouldn't make much sense.

Monkeys may possess some primitive intelligence, but dragons easily surpass their levels. ;)

Touche, Ice Damsel! *mutters* darned typos.
Got YWS? I do.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:49 am
Snoink says...

I thought FTW meant "for the world." XD

*sings* "The world is noooooooooot enough!"
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

280 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:09 am
Nutty says...

dragons could sooo eat monkeys. They say that dragons are brutish, greedy stupid and evil. Dragons are, in my opinion, wise, and just want peace. How would you like it if some stupid human came in bearing weapons declaring you are evil and should die? I would eat him up if I HAD to!

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:36 am
LowKey says...

Your point? the dragons *I* speak of live in Reign of Fire, where dragons, awakened from their slumber, drop humanity to a mere speck on the planet, instead of the top of the food chain.

And isn't that what we do? Humanity is the cause of some animals becoming endangered, or, as you put it, 'a mere speck on the planet.' And be honest. Do YOU like being awakened when you're supposed to get another eight years sleep?

Another thing. chimps have discovered the art of war, killing other chimps and in one case, a bush baby. When I think of Dragons, I think of strong, noble creatures. Not things that go around recklessly killing each other and others for food when there's already plenty. But hey. Can't stop evolution.

Quite the contrary, my dear Crysi. Dragons are a symbol of village razings, virgin eatings, and arroance. ...Not writing.

Not writing? But Hunter! You don't understand! They have their own territory, and people build villages on it. Dragons have every right to destroy such obstructions on their grounds. If they just let it slide, where would they be? With the polar bears, that's where. More and more villages would come. Then towns, then cities! The dragons would be pushed further and further away from what was once their forest. They raze those villages because they need to. We Writers raze anyone who copies our work because we need to.

I never actually heard of a dragon eating a virgin, don't really see why it would prefer that over anyone else, but hey. In defense of the dragon, yes? Do you think twice over eating a chicken? What if this chicken was given to you? Say, your mom? Unless you're a vegetarian, I'm pretty sure you would. Now, to a dragon, they're all the same. Meat. if people come by and give it virgins, I'm sure he'll eat them when he gets hungry. Just like you would eat the chicken when you get hungry.
And this doesn't make Dragons cold, heartless beasts. I mean, do you feel guilt and remorse and sorrow for eating the chicken instead of the pig?!
How DARE you eat a chicken! They can't even fly away from you! defenseless! Another way Dragons symbolize us. I'm sorry if you're a vegetarian, because that probably didn't mean a thing to you. But most people eat meat, so they should understand.
If you don't think twice over eating chicken or pig, why should a dragon think twice over eating human or deer?

Yes, we as people are strong. Dragons, however, are only strong because of their natural weapons and their THICK SKINS.

Monkeys survived actual hardships, just as we have, WITHOUT natural weapons, and WITHOUT thick skins. They survive through cleverness, intelligence, COMMUNITY, and sheer force of will. We are the same.

But are we? Face it. If we had nothing, no natural defense system, we wouldn't be alive to be debating this, would we? And that just proves something. While monkeys will constantly need to create new thing to stay alive, Dragons won't. Monkeys will need to come up with something here, to stay alive for that place and time. Time changes. They will constantly need to come up with something else that will be equally short lived.

But dragons? No, dragons come with every thing they need. Yes! They have thick skins! Yes they have natural weapons! What does this mean? It means that dragons are further evolved than monkeys. True, this means monkeys are always on their feet, looking for new ideas, but Dragons make new ideas. They Don't need to think what they would do if hunters came about. They have thick skins, remember? Because they are so well equipped, they may spend their time thing of new ideas.

Which do you want to be associated with? The thinking dragons? Or the struggling monkeys?

What do you, as a writer, do? Do you spend all your time thinking what you will do if it rains? Or do you spend your time writing in doors?

And can dragons help it if they have thick skins? I think not! And given the chance, do you think they would relinquish it? Again! No! So when it rains, will you go outside and try to make a shelter with natural things available? Or will you stay inside, away from the rain, and write? Monkey or dragon?

Last I knew, a dragon's fire was used to burn through actual things. Like villages.

You have no idea how right you are! If you have something, use it! Flame anything that dares cross into our territory! Dragons flame things, and so do we! We flame food! We flame water! But, like dragons, we flame people! If someone plagiarizes us, sue Ëœem! Yes? Or no? No...let them off this time. Don't use your copyright. Let them off and hope they don't do it again. Or is that not what you meant? Don't flame the person who stole your work and passed it off as their own? Wait. You Can't. You're monkeys! And because you're at an unfair disadvantage, we should lower ourselves to you?

So I ask you again. Which do you want to be associated with? The thinking dragons? Or the struggling monkeys?
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:21 pm
Firestarter says...

Struggling monkeys? What are you talking about? Primates (monkeys, apes, whatever) are the some of the strongest REAL animals around.

And let's not forget ...

Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau