z

Young Writers Society

Mascot Election 2007!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:56 am
Nate says...

Welcome to Mascot Election 2007! After two rounds of elections, the candidates have been narrowed to two: Monkey and Dragon. In both rounds, Dragon came out ahead, though never with a majority. However, with the Kangaroo, which came in third, lobby in play, the title of mascot is still very much up for grabs. It all depends on who the kangaroo lobby chooses as they are the kingmakers in the third and final round.

So what's at stake here? The choice of the very mascot to represent YWS. But wait, does YWS really need a mascot? The answer is a resounding: that's a stupid question, of course YWS needs a mascot idiot, Gosh.

The final round of voting will begin this coming Wednesday, March 7, 2007. Voting will be open for a week, after which any further votes will not be counted, even if it changes the outcome!

Until then, enjoy my terrible photoshop image (chosen pictures will not be what the mascot will look like!):
Attachments
mascots.jpg
mascots.jpg (21.72 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Last edited by Nate on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:59 am
Fand says...

And just a point for all new members, and some older ones: the mascot WILL NOT be part of the background, so disregard previous backgrounds (whether monkey or dragon) and personal preferences for the aforementioned when voting. ^_^

That said...

MONKEY.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:27 am
Emerson says...

So for the monkey.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:28 am
Meshugenah says...

Oh, cork board! It's like the old notebook theme... *grins happily*

Monkey Man!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:57 am
Poor Imp says...

Monkey! of course.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:11 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Monkey!
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:49 am
Snoink says...

*ahem*
Attachments
Page_1.gif
Page_1.gif (66.19 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:01 am
View Likes
TellATaleForTwo says...

Dragona!
"Theoretically, if you go to the past in the future, then your future lies in the past. This is a picture of you in the future - in the past."

~Kate and Leopold

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:42 am
deleted6 says...

Monkey.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:46 am
Nutty says...

DRAGON!!!
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:44 am
Loranys Gellantara says...

Lol, definitely the monkey.
I'm only laughing on the outside. My smile is just skin deep. If you could see inside I'm really crying

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am
Firestarter says...

MONKEY!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:40 am
Esmé says...

Monkey !!!

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:51 pm
Sureal says...

For all the unaware:

Monkey suits YWS much better as a mascot than a dragon, for a number of reasons. I'll try to add them all here, but I'm sure I'll forget some.

1) Monkey's are intelligent - indeed, they are possibly the most intelligent non-human animal in the world. As writing is often associated with intelligence, this fits well.

2) Monkeys are well known for their playful and amusing behaviour. This site is incredibly friendly, and a number of forums (Randomness and Matt's Happy Place come to mind) are full of such behaviour.

3) The site's creator, Nate, has always had a chimpanzee as his chosen avatar.

4) There's the thought experiment that an infinte number of monkeys bashing away at typewriters would reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. This combination of monkeys and writing come together well for YWS.

5) Although dragons are indeed a better known literary creature, their use has become very cliched. Do you really think YWS should be associated with such a cliche?

6) Dragons are a soley fantasy creature, but YWS houses not just fantasy fiction, but writing from other genres as well.

7) Monkeys are awesome.
I wrote the above just for you.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:21 pm
Myth says...

Dragon. No. Monkey =]
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Change isn't inherently good, but you can't stop it, so let's just enjoy the ride. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— TheSilverFox