z

Young Writers Society

Stranger Than Fiction

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:49 am
Emerson says...

I just saw this movie tonight, and I thought it was great. The narrator, whether it was because she had an accent or not, made me think of Douglas Adams. The humor also made me think of him, and when the house as getting bulldozed... All too Douglas!

It really captured being an author for me, or at least the imagined way of it. I don't know, I liked it a whole lot. I've heard people say that its either a movie that you get or you don't. And I think I understood it. I really liked the idea of our characters being real people. Though, the fact that the narrator/author wrote 8 books, and all of the main characters died in them, and thats what she always did and the way she ended with, "Henry blah blah was dead," made me think that it would have made a really bad book in reality.

But, it was a great movie. I liked the music too. And the little designs every time he counted things. I give it a 5/5!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:22 am
Via says...

I actually agree with the 5/5 on this one!

I went to the theatre assuming this movie would be another stupid Will Ferral movie, but was very surprised! I loved it! There were a few things that I thought could have been explained/narrated a little better, but I loved the content in all! I think I might just like Emma Thompson haha. Emma Thompson+Will Ferral=odd, and not a match you would think would work...but they pulled it off!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:42 am
Black Ghost says...

I should go see that movie soon...

2058 Reviews

Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:53 am
Emerson says...

Oh, you should. To me it felt like a movie made for writers.

We can all associate with how she (the narrator) says she has writers block, and goes to a hospital wanting to see people die. It's so...familiar.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:37 pm
Firestarter says...

I'm hoping to go see it when it comes out over here.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:08 pm
KiteRide86 says...

I just saw this movie and really enjoyed it! I thought it was made for writers, too!

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:03 am
Teague says...

I saw that a while ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although for the life of me I cannot understand why it was PG-13...
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2058 Reviews

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:12 pm
Emerson says...

Sex? Who knows. They always rate things oddly, and if you notice, the reasons to rate things certain ways changes like wild. The f' word now slips freely into PG13 movies.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:00 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Claudette wrote:To me it felt like a movie made for writers.

We can all associate with how she (the narrator) says she has writers block, and goes to a hospital wanting to see people die. It's so...familiar.

Totally agree with you here--I loved it, deffinately in my top 5 of all time.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

2058 Reviews

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:10 pm
Emerson says...

I want to buy it so I can watch it again =D

It was so good. Crime and Punishment was referenced!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:34 pm
sanguine_dreams says...

I saw it with my mom and li'l bro when it was in the theater. We loved it, but all agreed, the "ending" (including both variants used in the book-within-a-movie-inspired-by-a-book) was disappointing. Movies that go on and on about the importance of a good ending and have a sucky one (see: Secret Window) annoy me. Still, definitely a good movie for writers.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:41 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I absolutely loved that movie. My mom (a writer) and I want to own it XD
ohmeohmy

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:15 pm
Teague says...

sanguine_dreams wrote:I saw it with my mom and li'l bro when it was in the theater. We loved it, but all agreed, the "ending" (including both variants used in the book-within-a-movie-inspired-by-a-book) was disappointing. Movies that go on and on about the importance of a good ending and have a sucky one (see: Secret Window) annoy me. Still, definitely a good movie for writers.

[offtopic] I thought Secret Window had a good ending. <3 [/offtopic]
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:33 pm
JC says...

I wanted to see this one, but now I have to wait to but it for that. I've heard it was really good!

[offtopic]Yeah, secret window was awesome! [/offtopic]

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:41 am
sanguine_dreams says...

Razorblade_Saint wrote:
sanguine_dreams wrote:I saw it with my mom and li'l bro when it was in the theater. We loved it, but all agreed, the "ending" (including both variants used in the book-within-a-movie-inspired-by-a-book) was disappointing. Movies that go on and on about the importance of a good ending and have a sucky one (see: Secret Window) annoy me. Still, definitely a good movie for writers.

[offtopic] I thought Secret Window had a good ending. <3 [/offtopic]

[offtopic]You're wrong. Wrong, I say! When it comes to split/multiple personality disorder movies, the only one worth watching is Identity![/offtopic]
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people.
— Adrian Mitchell