Young Writers Society

Review Month 2022

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:10 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

WELCOME TO REVMO 2022

This September we get to come together to celebrate a YWS Classic: Review Month! Reviewing is part of the cycle that keeps YWS going, providing valuable feedback for authors and exercising our literary and editing skills. That's why on YWS we have a full month dedicated to celebrating reviewing with fun challenges, contests, hashtags, and of course the username challenge.

The mods will provide links to different Reviewing Activities you can interact with this month in this thread, so be sure to subscribe to it!

This year for our collective Sitewide Review Challenge we want to push ourselves to reach 750 reviews as a site! Do you think we can do it? It'll take all hands on deck! To try to reach that goal we'll break our goal into 3 levels of site achievement (200, 450, and 750)!

Your individual grand-challenge is 50 Reviews during the month of September, but there are all different levels to participate! Participation at different levels can even earn you a temporary username color! Here's how it works: each week you have a chance to meet the review challenge to earn a different rad username color (ie. if you write 10 by Sept 7 you earn a temporary maroon username!)

This year we are also offering an early check-in where if you do just 5 reviews you can upgrade to a dodger blue username for the month of September! And every week when the deadline passes you have another opportunity to earn the cool colors - so if you miss the first deadline don't worry, you can still earn those other username colors at anytime during the month. (ie. 5 reviews by Sept 21 will still earn you a dodger blue username for a week!) Here's the other challenges:

Color Check-In Challenges

these are automatically adjusted to your time zone

Early Check-In: 5 reviews - first deadline
Reward: dodger blue

Week One Goal: 10 reviews - first deadline
Reward: maroon

Week Two Goal: 20 reviews - first deadline
Reward: deep pink

Week Three Goal: 35 reviews - first deadline
Reward: medium sea green

Week Four Victor's Goal: 50 reviews - deadline
Reward: victory gold for the first 2 weeks of October.

Wild Winner: 75 reviews each over 200 words- deadline
Reward: If you complete 75 reviews we'll let you choose any of the challenge colors for a username color for the first 2 weeks of October.

Team Tortoise: dark cyan for the first 2 weeks of October for those who complete Team Tortoise (one review every day of the month).

Other fabulous prizes, challenges, & events

If you complete any of the above challenges you'll also win a wonderful limited edition RevMo Badge!

Additionally stay tuned for more information about this year's Checklist Challenge, Banner Contest, RevMo Hashtags, and a Special KotGR Challenge!

We are also excited to share that this September we're going to have an End of Month Review Day and a mid-month Comment Weekend. Also watch out for information about a Review Training Camp opportunity!

Please note, we want this to be a positive experience for all, so reviews must be non-spam (reviews that are plagiarized, copy-pasted, or spam will be removed from the site and may disqualify you from the prizes and contests).
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:11 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

I just wanted to make sure that no reviews we do until September starts count to this.
Swan Queen's little sister in-law/caretaker since 2022

1227 Reviews

Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:40 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

August reviews are good practice, but you're correct only Sept reviews count for the above challenge! It's going to be a great month! @moonglade

1227 Reviews

Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:24 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey Reviewers!

A RevMo Review Event is coming up ~ check out the details below! :)

@MailicedeNamedy wrote:A Review Training Camp is coming!

Review Month starts in September and for those who are still on the fence about participating, you can check out this thread!

Here you can find interesting information about different review methods and tips and tricks for writing reviews. But of course, that's not all, there are also challenges where you can win something and other surprises! :D

Come in and take part! :D

Link to original comment

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:25 am
View Likes
Big Brother says...

RevMo wrote:

Review Month is Here!

There's still time to set #ReviewGoals if you haven't already!
Be on the watch for other amazing contests and activities and hashtags throughout the month from our mod crew including a Review Training Camp
RevMo is a wonderful time to improve your skills while helping others improve their own ~ some great reviewing resources are in our very own Knowledge Base Forum. What's your fave #ReviewTip?
Remember Review Spam doesn't help out the author and is against site rules, so it's best avoided!

Link to original comment

1227 Reviews

Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:29 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

This year's RevMo Checklist Challenge has been posted! Be sure to check it out! The prizes are better than ever and there are new challenges to test your reviewing skills.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:28 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Review Quality Contest: YWS Critique Sandwich

Looking to put your reviewing skills to the test? Itching for a fun challenge? Whether you're a review newbie, a seasoned reviewer, or someone trying to start reviewing again, this is the place for you! Your hosts, @Liminality and @LizzyTyler challenge you to use the YWS Critique Sandwich in a review!

Read more here - the deadline for submissions is 17th September 2022!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

542 Reviews

Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:41 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hashtag: #lookingtoreview

Spearmint wrote:To kick off the start of RevMo, here's a shiny new tag for all you wonderful ywsers! =D Use the hashtag #lookingtoreview in your wall posts to request something to review~
(This is especially helpful if you have no idea what to review, or if you'd just like some peer pressure to help motivate you. xD)

For example, you could say something like, I'm #lookingtoreview some poems, preferably ones with lots of imagery. Or something like, #lookingtoreview a sci-fi short story!

If you know of any works that fit someone's request (either your works or someone else's), reply to their wall post with your recommendation! <3

Happy reviewing, everyone!! ^-^

Link to original comment

Join in on this hashtag in the People's Tab to get some reviewing recommendations!
she/her

542 Reviews

Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:00 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hashtag: Review Requests

RandomTalks wrote:We all have that one work (be it a poem, a short story, script, novel/chapter, etc.) that did not receive many good reviews or that we are not completely sure about. RevMo is the perfect time to satisfy those inner callings and reach out for some useful feedback from our very helpful and enthusiastic reviewers!

As you might have seen, our reviewers are already getting geared up for the month by signing up through #lookingtoreview. Now, we have a new hashtag for the writers of YWS - if there is any work (be it an old work or a new one) that you want some feedback on, you can now request a review by using the #reviewrequests hashtag in a wall post and linking your work to the same post.

You can also provide some background information on the work or anything else that you think the reader should know (for example, mentioning the type of work or what its about). If there is something specific that you want from the review, you can mention that as well in the post and our reviewers will try their best to deliver!

Both these hashtags are intended to create a platform where our writers and reviewers can help each other out and celebrate the spirit of reviewing together. Look out for some other super fun hashtags to keep you motivated and inspired throughout the month!

Happy RevMo everyone! :)

Link to original comment

Join in on this hashtag in the People's Tab! Boost your works that you'd like a review on! :D
she/her

542 Reviews

Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:15 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

YWS Training Camp: Week 1

Extra extra! The YWS Training Camp has begun! Subscribe to the linked thread to join the camp. It comes with review challenges each week, tips and chats with your fellow reviewers. Hop on in and get cozy!

she/her

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:31 am
View Likes
KotGRCommander says...

Clear the Grounds | KotGR Commander Challenge

The Commander (@KotGRCommander) needs your help! The Knights of the Green Room Castle Grounds have been overtaken by a Mysterious Green Room Sludge that has been tracked in due to overcrowding works in the Green Room and must be Cleared before our Fall Picnic!

Log Five Green Room Reviews in this thread to help us remove the green sludge by October 1st! Honor and a special badge await all who bravely assist us in the Clear the Grounds Commander Challenge.

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:56 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

RevMo 2022 Official Banner Contest

Seirre wrote:It's that time again! Time for the

Official RevMo Banner Contest: 2022 Edition

Put your creative skills to the test while you design a review banner to use this month! Everyone who enters the contest will earn an exclusive participant badge, and the top three banner entries will get extra special badges! There are also some fishy doodle and personalized haiku prizes to look out for 👀 Check out the thread for more information, and to enter your banner!

Link to original comment
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

542 Reviews

Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:31 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hashtag: My Fav Review Style

Spearmint wrote:With LMS kicking off and more people publishing works, it seems like a great time to start off #myfavreviewstyle! What do you like to see in a review? Do you like feedback on characters, plot, grammar...? What about tone and style-- do you prefer reviews that are right to the point, reviews that include compliments, reviews with smiley faces...? Share your preferences with this hashtag! =D

Link to original comment

Get chatting about preferences for reviews on your work with this hashtag!
she/her

542 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:06 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hashtag: Review Redo

Liminality wrote:Time for the next #RevMo hashtag activity! This one's called #reviewredo. Post on your wall with a literary work you already have 2 reviews on but would like a few more for. This could be something from months and months ago, just yesterday or even on something you posted when you first joined!

Link to original comment
she/her

542 Reviews

Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:18 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Comment Weekend Bonanza!

liminality wrote:Join us for another #RevMo activity, the Comment Weekend Bonanza!

If you'd like another way to contribute besides writing reviews, try encouraging writers with literary comments! Join this fun activity to log 5 literary comments over the weekend and win a badge :D

Link to original comment
she/her

No, it's not that you didn't succeed. You accomplished a lot, but, if you want to touch people, don't concentrate so much on rhyme and metre. Think more about what you want to say instead of how you're saying it.
— LCDR Geordi La Forge