YWS Birthday Week 2021

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:50 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

YWS Birthday Week: Nov 14 - 20

YWS Turns 17 Years Old!

If you've been solving the puzzles this week you already know that it's YWS Birthday Week - on November 14th, YWS turns 17 years old! And you are invited to the festivities! To celebrate our beloved YWS we will be throwing a wonderful party that will go on all week. Join in on the week-long events and the daily hashtag challenges. You can read more about what's going on each day below.

Ongoing Events

17 words for 17 years - Link (hosted by @Spearmint)
YWS Birthday Poetry Contest - Link (hosted by @Liminality)
End of Week Birthday Party Write-in (Watch for details for Nov 20)

Week Schedule

Sunday, November 14 YWS' Birthday Bash! - #BestOfYWS - describe one (or many!) of your favorite YWS memories! Shout-out your favorite memories whether that's a silly joke with a friend or a work you're really proud of, whatever it is, share some of those memories today! (party planner: @MailicedeNamedy)

Monday, November 15 - #ThankNateDay - Nate is the creator and owner of YWS, we have a lot to thank him for in creating this wonderful site and community. Today we encourage you to share your appreciation by leaving a kind comment on Nate's wall! Bonus points if you leave him a funny gif or poem. (party planner: @Spearmint)

Tuesday, November 16 - #ReviewTag - Tag! You're it! Here's how it works, review someone and then tag another person to review a work of your choice. If they choose not to review that work, they owe you 100 points or a chicken joke! Let's see who can set the record for the longest review-tag chain. (party planner: @PenguinAttack)

Wednesday, November 17 - #ShareYourArt - share some YWS related art to celebrate the the site today. You could share a groovy avvie edit, some plant doodles, or anything else celebratory you can think of. If you want a special challenge, try to incorporate YWS' logo in your art somehow! (party planner: @Spearmint & @HarryHardy)

Thursday, November 18 - #ShareACompliment - one of the best things about YWS is the people of course! Today share a nice comment on someone else's wall, and if you receive a comment be sure to pass on a kind word to someone else too. (party planner: @winterwolf0100)

Friday, November 19 - #GiveAGif - a birthday party isn't complete without gifts right? or ... I mean gifs... Today you are encouraged to share some gifs with other friends on the site! (party planner: @alliyah)

Saturday, November 20 - #WritingParty - Let's close off Birthday Week with a WFP Chat Party! There will be some fun quiz questions at the top of the pad to participate in if you want and all are invited to jump in. Be sure to leave a birthday sign-off at the top of the pad and if you have time leave some cake made out of punctuation / text. (party planner: @HarryHardy, @alliyah, @Spearmint)

Happy Birthday YWS!

Feel free to use this thread to share anything YWS-Birthday Related during the week! :elephant:
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:11 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Countdown Puzzles

If you didn't have a chance to complete the Countdown to Birthday Week Puzzles, here they are! All in one place!

word search
featuring 8 theme words

crossword
ACROSS
3. one more than sixteen
4. put a smile on your face

DOWN
1. anniversary of life's beginning
2. site for young writers

anagram
unscramble these letters to uncover a themed message

i stewed moths at limit for bakery

hidden image search
find the seventeen hidden pictures in "School of Athens"

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:26 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

YWS Birthday Poetry Contest

Excerpt:

In celebration of YWS's upcoming birthday, here is a contest inspired by the site. The name of the game is to write a three-line acrostic using the letters 'Y','W' and 'S'. An acrostic is a poem where the first letter of each line spells out a word. . .

The theme of the poem is up to you. Some ideas could be writing poetry in celebration of the site, or poetry about anniversaries, or poetry about the colour blue.

When you submit your poem to this thread, please also share it on the People's Tab with the hashtag #YWSacrostics so everyone can get into the Birthday Week festivities.

Submissions closing date:

link
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1227 Reviews

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:01 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

It's officially YWS's birthday! Woohoo! We'll have a different activity to participate in every day along with a few ongoing activities like the Birthday Poetry Contest.

Today to kick of festivities, you're encouraged to jump on your wall with the hashtag "#BestofYWS" and share some of your favorite YWS memories - YWS has been around for 17 years, so that's a lot of memories. We hope you enjoy reminiscing! And our party planner today is MailicedeNamedy - if you have any questions reach out to our daily party planner or post here.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:17 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

17 words for 17 years (YWS Birthday Contest)

Excerpt:

17 years of YWS... wow! =D To celebrate this special occasion, you're invited to enter this contest by writing either: 17 words about your YWS experience or a 17-word story (or something that combines both!)...

Feel free to also share your entry on the People tab with the hashtag #17words! C:

Submissions closing date:
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

1227 Reviews

Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:06 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Thanks for sharing your YWS memories yesterday! Feel free to keep sharing all week. Today we have a new activity for you to participate in. Nate is the creator and owner of YWS, we have a lot to thank him for in creating this wonderful site and community. Today we encourage you to share your appreciation by leaving a kind comment on Nate's wall! Bonus points if you leave him a funny gif or poem. (Today's party planner is: Spearmint)

And don't forget to check out our two ongoing contests for the week: 17 words for 17 years and the Birthday Poetry Contest.

1227 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:54 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Thanks for joining in the Birthday Week Festivities so far! One thing we love about YWS is the review-system; so today let's have a round of #ReviewTag ! Here's how it works: review someone's work and then tag another person to review a work of your choice. If they choose not to review that work, they owe you 100 points or a chicken joke! Let's see who can set the record for the longest review-tag chain. Party Planner for today's event is @PenguinAttack.

1227 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:20 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

YWS is absolutely filled with creative folks; not just in writing but in other artistic pursuits too. Today we're having an YWS Art Show in honor of Birthday Week; so go ahead and share some YWS related art to celebrate the the site today.

You could share a groovy avvie edit, some plant doodles, or anything else celebratory you can think of, just don't forget the hashtag. If you want a special challenge, you can try to incorporate YWS' logo in your art somehow! Good Luck! (party planners: @Spearmint & @HarryHardy)

1227 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:12 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Thanks everyone for sharing your art yesterday! If you didn't have a chance you can still use that hashtag #shareyourart or alternatively if you have a rat you want to share a picture of you could alter the hashtag slightly and jump on the hashtag train too. For the handful of people that read the forum posts instead of just the people tab posts, I hope you enjoyed that little joke in there. ;)

Today though, is #ShareACompliment Day! One of the best things about YWS is the people of course! Why not share a nice comment on someone else's wall? And if you receive a comment be sure to pass on a kind word to someone else too. (party planner: @winterwolf0100)

And don't forget about our two ongoing activities:
17 words for 17 years - Link (hosted by Spearmint)
YWS Birthday Poetry Contest - Link (hosted by Liminality)

Have a beautiful day!

1227 Reviews

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:20 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Birthday Archives

A Birthday is always a good time to reflect where you've been! Here's some Birthday Archives from YWS to check out if you like ~

2004 -> Baby-YWS's week-old statistics -> link

2009 -> YWS's Fifth Birthday

2013 -> A Collection of Users' Favorite YWS Memories -> link

2014 -> YWS's Tenth Birthday

2016 -> YWS's 2016 Bday Celebration

2018 -> Listen to YWS's Radio Show from the 14th birthday

2019 -> Birthday Activities & the legendary Birthday Tagbook

2020 -> The 2020 Birthday / New Year Memories Video by @Carina

Check out more birthday memories here -> This Month In History with highlights from YWS's years!

And courtesy of @ChesTacos here's a snippet of YWS from all of its past years! How cool!!
ChesTacos wrote:Since it's YWS birthday week I thought I'd share a link to YWS from every (documented) year:

(also just to clarify, I took one link from each year so if the site changed like 20 times in a year I only took the one closest to November)

Link to original comment

1227 Reviews

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:44 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Lots of smiles shared today with those compliments on people's walls, let's keep the kindness going - today your challenge is to share a gif on everyone's walls! Have fun! :D (party planner: @alliyah)

1227 Reviews

Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:30 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

What a week it's been celebrating YWS! :D Thanks for joining in the different activities! Let's close off Birthday Week with a WFP Chat Party! There will be some fun quiz questions at the top of the pad to participate in if you want and all are invited to jump in. Be sure to leave a birthday sign-off at the top of the pad and if you have time leave some cake made out of punctuation / text. There'll be some mods in here throughout the day, but feel free to hang out whether or not we're there or at least sign the birthday card at the top if you have a chance. (party planner: @HarryHardy, @alliyah, @Spearmint)

1227 Reviews

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:25 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

What a great week celebrating YWS!

Congratulations to the winners of the two Birthday Week Contests~
17 Words for 17 Years @Seirre and @NivedaJames22
YWS Birthday Poetry Contest @TypoWithoutCoffee, @Dossereana, & @NivedaJames22

A big thank you to all of the mods who planned and hosted Birthday Week this year and a thank you to all of you for participating and making the site as wonderful as it is!

Spoiler! :

Some Highlights From This Year's YWS Birthday Celebration ...

* Birthday Party Write-In Guestbook -> link

* Nostalgic Memories from Birthday Week #BestOfYWS Tag

* All the beautiful art from the Birthday Week #ShareYourArt Art Show.

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
— V for Vendetta