RevMo Review Buddies 2021

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:29 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

RevMo Review Buddies 2021

Hi everyone!

This is a section where we pair up two YWS-ers to review each others works. We plan to match you based on what you're interested in reviewing, what your goals are this month, and build a network of dedicated reviewers together. We'll try our best to find you a good match!

Code: Select all
[b]Username:[/b]

[b]What you like to read (For example, 'fantasy novels and short stories'):[/b]

[b]What work(s) you'd like to put up for review (this can include future works, such as chapters of a novel that will be uploaded during RevMo itself. Also, think about what can be reviewed within a time period of about 2 weeks.):[/b]

[b]Your goals for RevMo (e.g. 50 reviews, 30 reviews, 10, 5, etc.):[/b]

Post filled applications here in this thread, and soon you will get tagged with your pairing. The first round will last until and the second round begins on .

Between the first and second rounds, we will also post a little reflection prompt in this thread (with tags!) and on the People's Tab for you to reflect on your experience being Review Buddies with someone - so stay tuned for that!

P.S. Feel free to ask any questions in this thread if anything is unclear! This is being run by @Que and I, and we'll be happy to answer your questions.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:10 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Username: MailicedeNamedy, Mailice for short.

What you like to read: It's been a while since I've read anything like crime fiction or anything, but am fine with horror or fantasy. Novels or short stories are fine.

What work(s) you'd like to put up for review: I'll keep posting my story (Genre: Mystery, Teen Fiction, Fantasy Historical Fiction if that's a thing.), (chapter by chapter) and maybe a short story or two.

Your goals for RevMo: 50 reviews.

Question: The stories don't have to be in the GreenRoom to be reviewed? For example, if there is only one chapter in the GR, but I want to start from the beginning, can I do that too?
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:14 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Username: looseleaf

What you like to read: historical fiction, short stories, essays

What work(s) you'd like to put up for review: maybe a poem and some chapters of Dad Hacked Death

Your goals for RevMo: at least ten reviews, would like to do twenty

218 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 218
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:50 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature says...

Username: chikara

What you like to read: I mean, basically anything? If it's not really violent or mature in theme, I'll probably enjoy it.

What work(s) you'd like to put up for review: I literally only write poetry and the occasional poetic prose piece of word vomit.

Your goals for RevMo: At least 50, but I'd like to get my next star sometime in late September or early October.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:55 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Username: Wolfi

What you like to read: short stories and novel chapters of almost any genre (though my favorite genres are historical fiction and action/adventure!)

What work(s) you'd like to put up for review: I'm planning to upload a couple short stories, split into a total of 4 or 5 parts. Cerro Plata is a Western and The Holy Spring is fantastical/metaphorical historical fiction (ish?).

Your goals for RevMo: 20 reviews because I LOVE ORANGE!! However, I'll only be free to review the first half of September, so we'll see how well I do with that
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:00 pm
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 says...

Username:ForeverYoung299. Forever for short.

What you like to read:I am pretty okay with short stories and chapters of Novels. My favourite genre- fabtasy and science fiction, I guess.

What work(s) you'd like to put up for review:Maybe a few chapters of "Cehyn in the Earth" and also a few short stories.

Your goals for RevMo:50-100

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:37 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Username: RandomTalks

What you like to read: Short stories and novel chapters of any genre.

What work(s) you'd like to put up for review: A couple of short stories I am working on.

Your goals for RevMo: 50 reviews and hopefully more.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:02 pm
View Likes
Grimmwolf says...

Username: Grimmwolf

What you like to read: poetry, short stories, early novel chapters, and basically whatever else if it isn't an essay or something ^^

What work(s) you'd like to put up for review: i've been working on a lot of experimental poetry things for a chapbook, so that!

Your goals for RevMo: 35, but 20 if i end up being busy!
they/he

542 Reviews

Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:06 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

@MailicedeNamedy Yep they don't have to be in the Green Room!
she/her

542 Reviews

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:44 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Here are the groupings everyone!

1. @Wolfi and @looseleaf
2. @chikara and @Grimmwolf
3. @MailicedeNamedy, @ForeverYoung299 and @RandomTalks

Feel free to PM your buddies to introduce yourselves and the works you'd like them to review first. Have fun everyone and have a happy Review Month!
she/her

542 Reviews

Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:41 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hi everyone! We're about half of the way through the first round of Review Buddies *confetti*

How has buddying been going for you all (and Review Month in general)? Do you need a cheering squad? A review banner? Let us know if you have any questions or need help. You can reply to this thread, or PM myself or @Que.

Tagging everyone:
Spoiler! :
she/her

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:15 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

@Liminality @Que

That's a difficult question because I don't really know how to answer it. I think I'll start by saying that I like my review buddies a lot. Firstly, the reviews are really helpful and build on interesting interpretation and points of view that I don't see as a writer in that way. It helps a lot to see where you are leading the reader with the text - either on the right path or on a wrong track. In any case, I am very, very grateful for that.

I also find it exciting to focus on one particular user (or in this case two, although unfortunately, I had already reviewed almost everything from RandomTalks. :D) and see where they still need to work, or where the genres lay. You can recognize characteristics beyond the stories that appear again and again, even if it's only sublime, which I find very exciting. Also, if you follow something for a longer period of time, you can clearly see where someone has improved.

So far, I really like the idea of the Review Buddies.
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:40 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

@Liminality @Que

To be honest, I am glad that I participated in this. It's true that Mailice had already reviewed almost every work I have ever published, but that's okay because I am really enjoying reading her works. Both Mailice and Forever, write such different genres and have such different writing styles, I feel like I am learning something new from them every day. Like Mailice said, when you focus on the works of two individual people, after a point of time you start identifying these little quirks in their writing that are characteristic of all their stories and they help you identify yours. And I love coming up with different interpretations of stories, so yes, reviewing has been going great.

As for the reviews I have received, they are so helpful. Each person has their own unique perspective to a story and as the writer it really helps me understand what my readers are seeing in the story and how I can deliver my vision better. Also, I really like my Review Buddies and I am glad I participated!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

That's so great to hear @RandomTalks and @MailicedeNamedy! I'm really glad that Review Buddies is going well for you :D Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. It's wonderful to see that understanding each other's writing styles and personal themes has helped with your reviewing as whole. <3
she/her

542 Reviews

Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:44 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hiya! Hope you all are having a fantastic Review Month. This is just to say that we are opening for applications for Review Buddies round 2. As mentioned earlier, round 1 is still going and will only end on and the second round begins on . We'd just like to open up applications so people have time to submit.

For everyone who participated in round 1, please post your application form again for round 2 if you'd like to participate again. We will then match the final group of applicants. Feel free to change anything you put in your original application post, for instance, if you've modified your goals or would like to read something different for a change.

Tagging everyone from round 1:
Spoiler! :

P.S. Also feel free to ask @Que and I any questions about all this!
she/her

Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher