Young Writers Society

May Haiku Collection Submission Thread

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:29 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Here's how it will work:

1. Everyone who signs up writes ONE haiku (this could be a more traditional haiku, which is about nature, or it could be one of the spin-off versions that is about something else. There's a whole KB article about what technically counts as haiku, but for the purposes of this collection we're using the term haiku broadly for convenience :3)

2. Submit the haiku in this thread along with a short (maybe 3-line) bio about yourself

3. Ideas for what to include in the bio: what you do on the site, what's your favourite thread/ forum topic/ literary centre category/ randomosity game / kind of chicken

Here is an example:
Liminality (any pronouns) is a poeter who often lurks in WriterFeedPads. Her favourite threads include the Worst Poem Thread, the Haiku Train and the Tanka Train. Please yell at her about poetry, pets and weird comedy-parody things, because that's her jam.

Also include pronouns, or anything else you'd like us to know!

4. We will compile all the haiku into a thread, linking to everyone's profiles, like a poetic catalogue of new friends

5. . . and there will be an aesthetic pdf collection in that same thread as well! :3

Need inspo?
More on what May Haiku is about
Here's the famous ever-growing Haiku Train on YWS, where you can find examples written by fellow YWS-ers.
Here's a nice little overview on writing haiku.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:40 pm
View Likes
momonster says...

Spoiler! :
Momo {she/her} is a learning poet who has been writing poetry for three years. She loves YWS with everything she has and never wants to leave. You can find her in WFPs lurking, writing, or stressing. She loves to chat and meet new people, so feel free to PM her and hang out!

Time for more

The first day of May,
my brain is fried from NaPo.
But haikus? Of course!
For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14 NIV

never apologize for standing up for what you believe in.

previously MomoandAppa, LordMomo, MomoMajesty, and dancingontheclouds

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 am
View Likes
rida says...

Spoiler! :
rida {she/her} is a young, immature poet who has been writing poetry for 2 years, 2021 being the 3rd. She enjoys participating in various writing projects. Her favourite sections for YWS are the ‘people’ tab and roleplays. She is seldom seen in WFPs. If you ever need to brag about your general knowledge, or need book recommendations, then you can PM her.

Life melting; new beginnings

Ice melting into
Liquids; cold hearts softening

Chemistry of life

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun May 02, 2021 4:38 pm
View Likes
NivedaJames22 says...

Spoiler! :
Niv(she/her) is a poet and storywriter, who tries to write a lot of stuff and fails miserably. She is fairly new to YWS, but is head-over-heels in love with the sight. She can be found in WFPs, doing homework and writing (or trying to at least). Feel free to PM her about anything, especially if you get info regarding Atlantis being inside the Bermuda Triangle. <3

Shooting stars

Wish upon a star,
Hoping to assuage the ache
That loneliness brings.
Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy, she berated herself.

"To friendship!" they had toasted, before downing their respective drinks and acquiring thick chocolatey moustaches.

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Sun May 02, 2021 7:48 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Spoiler! :
IcyFlame (she/her) is primarily a novel writer who occasionally starts a poem and then quickly stops again when she remembers that she is no good at it. You'll often find her hanging out in pads, procrastinating from her work or writing. Come and chat to her about characters with tragic backstories, melancholy endings and everything in-between.

Petrichor lingers
Over rain soaked sidewalks
From honeyed spring rain

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon May 03, 2021 11:07 pm
View Likes
Buranko says...

Spoiler! :
Buranko, huge poetry fan, lover of random stuff, tea addict. Often found surfing the internet he gets inspired by anything and loves to draw random quick poems in a virtual notebook.

The star floating
On the lake of oil
Sunk without a trace

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon May 10, 2021 12:53 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Spoiler! :
Liminality (any pronouns) is a poeter who often lurks in WriterFeedPads. Her favourite threads include the Worst Poem Thread, the Haiku Train and the Tanka Train. Please yell at her about poetry, pets and weird comedy-parody things, because that's her jam.

the cool river falls
over shadows on the rocks--
above, kingfishers
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon May 10, 2021 8:13 pm
View Likes
blueca says...

Spoiler! :
blueca's (he/him) poetry is easy to spot because of his refusal to capitalize any of it. He loves writing short yet thought-provoking poems and reviewing the works of his peers. blueca is rather new to YWS, but loves the strong sense of community it provides.

night watch

owl's golden gaze
piecring through the clouded night
watching for a squeak

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Wed May 12, 2021 12:48 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Spoiler! :
whatcha (she/her) is obsessed with everything music and poetry related and is always willing to dive into a conversation with you about those things. You can find her chilling in any poetry-areas of the site, especially clubs like Poetry Readers and Poem A Week! Other important things of note: she is a very indecisive human bean, confuzzlement is her natural state of existence, chickens are baby dinosaurs, and potatoes are delicious.

we are all [s]crawling
on the same page, and we find
con[nection]s in that.
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed May 12, 2021 11:42 am
View Likes
HJYoung says...

Spoiler! :
Hi[/center], I’m HJYoung. I am 13 years old, and I like nerd stuff. I like contemplating about the most mundane things, such as the walking contradiction known as mankind.

The bestial cheetah runs
And ‘superior’ man thinks
But not always correctly
I stand above this all. For with every virgin kingdom, there is always an august king.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu May 13, 2021 4:11 pm
View Likes
starbean says...

Spoiler! :
hannah0528 (she/her) is a young, aspiring poet who writes more okay poems than good poems and she is working on two different novels including Tree Girl and Lamplight. You may find her hanging in pads attempting to overcome writers block and chatting with friends. She loves to be outside, read, write and play the piano.

sitting on the wall
peacefully watching the world
a warm, gentle breeze.
she/her————pro-life————Christian————climber of rocks, trees, and rooftops----reader of poetry, Antoine de Saint Exupery, Pam Munoz Ryan, and Anthony Doerr
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri May 14, 2021 5:35 am
View Likes
EsmerayaRose says...

Spoiler! :
BrokenHeartsAri she/her is a young, artist's poem and songwriter. She likes dark clothes to express herself when words don't do the trick. she writes poems either based on herself or true events that she had witnessed. She loves to talk about books, zodiac signs, anime, and aesthetics.

Silvery, little
the four Galilean moons
variable stars
I promise this type of pain only gets worse
~Esmeraya~

she/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat May 15, 2021 4:20 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Mage [she/her] was once convinced that she was a roleplayer and novelist through-and-through, but has come to realize she's also pretty fond of poetry and scriptwriting. If she's not lurking in the people's tab, you can almost always find her chilling in the RP Realm and scheming up a brand new roleplay~

the sun's rays trickle
between young viridian leaves
and say good morning.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Fri May 21, 2021 8:53 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Spoiler! :
Plume (she/they) is a short story and scriptwriting fiend. She absolutely loves reading other people's writing, especially other people's novels and short stories! You can usually find them chilling in the green room and writing reviews. Comma splices are her sworn enemy.

So gorgeous and green,
that mother hen and her chicks.
A desert beauty.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue May 25, 2021 6:23 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
alliyah (she / her) is a chicken-poetry enthusiast, defender of the unclassified movement, and loves everything-poetry on YWS especially NaPo! You'll also find alliyah hanging out in write-ins, Squills, and the Knights of the Green Room. She is a big fan of the color dark cyan and enjoys music and crafty things too. :]

at some point rushing,
we remember again "breathe,"
lungs and lives aren't clocks
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper