z

Young Writers Society

How Are You Coping?

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:01 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

So, between the pandemic and (if you’re in the US) a chaotic presidential election, I think we can all agree that 2020’s been a hard year. I’m curious to know how y’all have been coping with the stress. What kind of self-care have you done? How have you kept your mind off our current, grim reality? And, if you’ve stayed home a lot more than usual because of COVID, what have you done to pass the time?

Personally, I’ve been re-watching some comforting TV shows, and I’ve listened to a LOT of podcasts. I’ve also started writing fanfiction, which is funny because I’ve never really been a fanfic writer—I mean, I’ve dabbled with some Disney princess content in the past, but only a couple of times and never very seriously—but now I’m knee-deep into writing a better ending for one of my guilty-favorite TV shows. And I’m really enjoying it! I can see why people love writing fanfiction. It’s a lot of fun, and a nice way to de-stress during all of this year’s misery.

How about you? What have you done this year? Tried new things, revisited old hobbies? Sound off below!

465 Reviews

Reviews: 465
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:09 am
View Likes
starlitmind says...

I've only needed one thing: kdramas
.--. --- - .- - ---

Reviews: 1
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:42 pm
View Likes
STRvArmory says...

I'm one of those people who didn't need to cope with anything except the loss of my job; meaning that none of my hobbies or interests have been affected by the currently chaotic year.
Since the loss of a job can happen because of a variety of factors, Covid having made me lose it isn't much of a problem, in the sense that it's something I can accept in order to start again.
As for the American election, I'm used to it all, given how the last four years have been like with the Trump presidency. I've followed it rather closely, so, nothing about that election was truly surprising. Trump is a wonderful exercise to recognize unchanging patterns, after all, and literally every single of his actions were the result of something he had already clearly stated before or shown.

So, I've been training in the writing area by creating characters and trying my hand at world-building, I'm occasionally playing video games, gathering information about job opportunities, catching up with movies, and whatever else was available for me to do — with a passionate focus for nature-related documentaries. The usual, really.

Since it matters, I'll specify that I'm mentally unchanged. The loss of my job did mess with my organization, sleep schedule, and overall willpower greatly, but faulting the pandemic for that would be hypocritical of me.
I realize that this pandemic is yet another worldwide crisis of sorts that forces people to change their habits, with some refusing to do so, and others silently doing so. I'm the type to shrug and keep on keeping on. So, I did just that. I'm lucky enough not to miss too much food, water, electricity, and I've also survived a few severe close-calls in relation to health, which makes me generally numb to this sort of thing.
Well, not numb. More like locked in a semi-permanent state of fuzzy control.

Best of luck to everyone that isn't, though. I sympathize with your need for distractions.
Greetings.

Call me Mory.

I'm working on a worldbuilding project called The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago. You can find it here: The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I don't know if this is really coping or just how I'm passing the time, but an important thing for me these past few months has been regularly going outside. I haven't been as good about it these past few months; the cold weather and pressure of the fall semester didn't help. But being in nature has given me a chance to reflect and process everything going on around me.

I've also rediscovered my love of web comics, as well as found a new love in playing Genshin Impact.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical