z

Young Writers Society

Is there a “Best of” collection of stories on this site?

Reviews: 1
Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 am
View Likes
chiefhoco says...

I love to read stories, and it would be great if there was some sort of curated list that we could read.

As it is, there is so many stories that it’s hard to find just using search functionality.

Anyone want to recommend a few to read?

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 am
View Likes
IamI says...

I find @Liminality 's short stories to be quite good. I also feel kind of obligated reccomen the works of @Lia5Giba, since she's a personal friend. I also find @HGsomeone 's stuff to be quite amusing. this is an excellent idea, by the way.
-_-

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 pm
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

spotlight.php

As close as you'll come, but heavily weighted towards light poetry, gimmick, and sermonizing. The crowd is frivolous.

Fun time capsule though. I defy you to find many remaining forums with lengthy records of 2008 goings-on.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

YWS tends to function more through community than ratings. When I'm looking for recommendations I tend to ask around or post in the People tab, or stick a post in The Lounge to see if anybody has any favourites to recommend.

If you're into longer reads;

The Chosen Grandma by @BluesClues is an absolute delight to read. It's completed at 60 chapters and just going into its second draft.

Connection is one of my all time favourites. I don't think it was ever completed? @Fortis ? But still worth reading. It's a sci-fi with a fantastic set of characters and some wonderful world building.

The Lost Dragon by @soundofmind is a great YA novel. The first chapter is titled 'A Monster Hunter and a Cowboy Walk into a Bar' and I think that fits the tone of it pretty well, it's a really fun read, mainly because the MC is so witty and relatable. I think it's still ongoing, though I'm not caught up on the more recent chapters.

I could recommend some shorter ones but I forget the titles of them easily so might take me a while to dig them out.
We were born to be amazing.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri May 22, 2020 10:47 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

(@Tenyo not finished but I am planning on picking it up again VERY soon).

There are somtimes contests with winners so those are usually pretty good. The only one I can remember right now is the knights of the green room library (KotGR's Library Collection) but that one is pretty old and doesn't have very much prose in it. But if you poke around contests you might be able to find stuff!
viewforum.php?f=404
ooh and this contest is a good place to look for good stuff too! The 10,000 Points Contest
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu May 28, 2020 5:45 am
View Likes
potter4life says...

Here is a short story you could read, by @raesvaughn , The Demon Lord and His Empty Heaven
and also @Necromancer14. (the books are quite good)
It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:15 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

I'd second @soundofmind's The Lost Dragon! It's fun, light, and filled with humour. Also @BluesClues Chosen Grandma! It's another light-hearted novel, a good twist on the usual chosen one archetype, and overall one of my favourites!

The spotlight is always a good place to look for works, especially ones that have left the Green Room.

If you're looker for some well-written historical pieces, @Elinor has a bunch, especially that surround her short film, Eagle Rock!

One of my favourite short pieces is @Sonder's Lunar!
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground.
— The Bee Movie