z

Young Writers Society

Do You Listen to Music While You Write?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:11 pm
View Likes
ShallowHouse says...

I listen a lot to City Girl whenever I write! Here's one of her album covers!
City Girl - Chroma Velocity

I love the how she mixed all these up to make a sincere yet mechanical feel to it like the sound a typewriter makes!
LOVE THE WORLD!
EMBRACE CHANGE!
HAVE FUN AND
DON'T BE A MOLDY BAGEL!

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:23 am
View Likes
JesseWrites says...

Yes. I prefer punk/alternative, but is me.

Link-
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB3wAJjJP6c
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:12 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

When I listen to music while writing it's usually to cancel out other noise! So if there's lots of noise around me I'll put on a song I've heard a million times (with or without words, sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't) and play it on repeat.

I don't listen to music when I'm writing songs though, lol! Just poems or prose!
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:41 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Hey I listen to City Girl sometimes!

I will sometimes listen to long stretches of instrumental music (I have a youtube playlist titled exactly that), which usually means video game OSTs, since they tend to be multiple hours long of non-repetitive, atmospheric, well-made, cohesive music.
That's a lot of adjectives, I know, but they're all important to me. Video game music is literally the perfect music to be listening to while you do other things since it was literally designed for you to do that. The musicians had to compose songs that would fill a lot of time that would otherwise be pretty quiet. They had to make sure it was unobtrusive and unannoying (since the songs often repeat over and over and over again), but still engaging and tone-setting. Plus they basically never have any words in them at all, and I can't write if I'm listening to other words.
Some of my favorite video game OSTs are: Journey, Abzu, Night in the Woods, Pokemon (specifically this playlist), Hollow Knight, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Little Nightmares, Child of Light, Ori and the Blind Forest, Gris, Stardew Valley, and Animal Crossing. The tones of the OSTs are pretty different from each other. Most of them are nice, but some are downright creepy. Also, I like these soundtracks because I've played most of these games (or at least watched them, though I haven't seen or played Child of Light, it just kept getting recommended to me.). There are lots of others that I like too :]
I'll listen to lo-fi sometimes too, but it kind of all sounds the same without having the same motifs like video game osts do.
Sometimes I'll listen to ASMR too. It helps me focus and also fall asleep at night lol.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

Reviews: 1
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:43 pm
STRvArmory says...

Not always. But when I do, I tend to listen to work from Hideki Naganuma and figure things out from there. Apparently I like to use energetic music to balance out my predominantly serious expression style.

phpBB [media]

↑ An example.

I listen to things like this while writing reviews, for example. Or during world-building exercise It helps me... feel, I suppose I could say. It gives substance to my knowledge (or attempts at gathering it).
Greetings.

Call me Mory.

I'm working on a worldbuilding project called The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago. You can find it here: The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire