Young Writers Society

The NaPoWriMo Poetry Shout-Out

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:35 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

NaPo Poetry Shout-Out

Hey friends, one of the great parts about NaPoWriMo is not just writing a ton of poetry, but reading great poetry too! I would definitely encourage everyone (whether you're participating formally in NaPo or not) to be sure to check out the NaPoWriMo threads to see what everyone's up to, if you comment on the threads 30 times you can even get a badge.

While you're reading people's poetry this month, in the NaPo threads or on the site, if you see a poem or some lines you'd like to give a shout-out to, please leave a comment below! Or if you wrote a poem you are particularly proud of, give that a shout-out too! Give as many shout-outs as you'd like, and feel free to comment on other shout-outs too.

Let's encourage each other this April! :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:47 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Reading @PrincessInk's first poem and I love this last stanza for so many reasons:

PrincessInk wrote:(I will tell you what the sea tastes of:
of salt that stings on forgotten wounds,
of sadness and other shunned things.)

Go read the rest of the poem here!

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

1227 Reviews

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:49 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

I love when there are themes that appear across multiple NaPo threads -
because they each can take such a unique perspective on a single subject.

Today I noticed an abundance of rainy poetry, each taking a really different interpretation. Here's a few I'm going to shout-out:

@EthanHoover thread A haiku, 17 syllables, but still very packed with imagery & great word choice.
Perfect silken drops
Catharctic quicksilver rain
Nature's healing kiss

@Jaybird also has a couple rain poems that are nice reflections on the connection between rain, memories, and life - the life of an american teenager
a blanket of dull gray
hangs heavy in the sky.
i can’t remember
the last time it parted
to show the sun.

@neptune's is from April 1 - but I just love this vivid imagery, and the turn in the second line. read the rest
it rained for the first time since you left, and that
was the first time I felt myself drown. the
drops of rain that played against my hollow bones were
so soothing, soft, sweet like honey that crystallized

--

@Sheyren had a rain poem with an unexpected twist too - but I'm going to save my shout-out for their last poem which I was very intrigued by, I can't quote it because you need to see the image for the whole effect -> read it here If you want to read some unconventional poetry, check out his thread!

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:22 am
View Likes
Lib says...

I don't exactly know who's poem this would be since literally everyone contributed, but I guess @Sachiko? It was made on the 5th of April 2020! c:

Here's a clearer version:

Sachi - we can help you write a chat poem right now - like the next 10 lines = your poem.

poetry written in times of fire Cannot be boring, even if it is on the surface, the poetry is in the creation, despite.

is stubbornness genetic by any chance? very random, but just wondering.

LOL

I don't think stubbornness is genetic...

[okay that's a good start of the poem, keep going crew]

what did i do to deserve an alliyah in my life honestly

alliyah has the best ideas

i agree!

alliyah is not deserved, only bestowed

maybe it's genetic or maybe it's fire

[there it all came full circle]

poem done!

there's your poem, Sachi!

mkay you know what i'mma

LOL

we really ruined your poem
*insert quirky signature here*

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

This one! I love it! By @Ventomology link - they've got a lot of light, funny poems, give them a read if you like!

So we both have opposable thumbs,
jeer the raccoons.
But who is in charge now?

Do you really have to rub this in?
I ask from my window.

The raccoons take my trash
and wash their hands before eating.
"We're reviewing everything to see how we can do it better, faster, and more efficiently."
-David Neeleman

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:08 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'd really love to give some love to @bluewaterlily's thread this year - her poetry is stunning, the themes are specific yet universal, and the overarching fairytale theme is just my favourite. It's A+. If you haven't read it yet, I suggest you do.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:53 pm
View Likes
Arcticus says...

I really recommend reading @Mea's NaPo poem attached, I think it's one of the best NaPo poems I've read so far, among others, of course, but for me it stands out for some reason. It's beautiful.
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:22 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'd like to shout out again to @niteowl's poem "to plants better off dead". It moved me to tears, it was honestly beautiful and I hate commenting on people's threads even when it says comments welcome but also this way I can recommend it to everyone, please go and have a look because it's just beautiful <3
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:12 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Going to second the recommendation for @niteowl's thread especially the 3 poems in the section Stella mentions. Each one was quite moving / emotionally impactful and used great metaphors to anchor each poem. link

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:34 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Wow thanks @StellaThomas and @alliyah! It's so surprising to think my poetry is that moving...especially when it started with literally throwing a dead plant away.

I'm going to return the favor...Stella's entire project is a super interesting look at figures from Roman history/mythology. "carthage" and "et tu" are my favorites, but they're all good.

Alliyah's are also amazing, and the bird doodles are a nice touch. My favorites are "when the robins return, i hope i remember" i swear all the birds will live until the end and we are phonebook fish
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:36 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

If you haven't read any of @erilea's poetry, go do it now! we'll see how this goes
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:28 am
View Likes
erilea says...

Thanks for the shoutout @Meshugenah!
I would like to second the recommendation for @bluewaterlily as well as add one for @EternalRain. I love the varying themes in both of their threads!
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11