z

Young Writers Society

What’s the Best Book Series You’ve Ever Read?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:00 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

The Chronicles of Narnia are my all time favourite. There are a lot of other series I've enjoyed whilst I've been reading them (The Black Magician Trilogy and the Max Ride series were some of my old favourites), but I always come back to The Chronicles of Narnia because the style is simple but the stories are still quite wholesome.
We were born to be amazing.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:12 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

For me, there is no series greater than the wheel of time. The author, Robert Jordan (who sadly passed away before the completion, leaving the amazing Brandon Sanderson with the task of completing the monumental final three volumes), created one of the largest and most well- realized fictional worlds I've ever read, middle earth is the only one that tops it (anyone who has read the Silmarillion will agree with me on this). The characters are like old friends to me, but honestly that's not a surprise considering there are FOURTEEN (fifteen counting the prequel, new spring, which is rather bizarrely numbered as book zero) BOOKS. I'll save my history with these books and how they've impacted me for another time, but even putting aside my rather lengthy and aptly coincidental history with these books, I think the person who could convince myself that thee wheel of time is not one of the greatest works of fantasy (and written word in general) ever put to paper. I've gone through with the audio books and they are fantastic, I would highly recommend them.

As a runner up I would probably have to nominate either 'wings of fire' or 'warriors' the warriors books are good fast reads and wings of fire is the series that largely put me on track to become the writer I am today, and for that I am eternally grateful.
-_-

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:27 pm
AlyTheBookworm says...

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy is my absolute favorite series.

When I was first recommended the series by my dad I thought the premise seemed cliche and worn out. How could a book about an orphan-turned-assassin with royal blood and magic powers ever be original? But Hobb subverted every fantasy cliche I can think of, and each time in a new and compelling way.

The series is about a boy named Fitzchivalry, the illegitimate son of a prince who is taken in by the royal family of Farseers to be trained as a spy, assassin, and servant. Over nine books in three different trilogies, Hobb chronicles his life from the age of six to when he is an adult in his sixties.

I love everything about this series, but what stands out the most are the characters. I've never been so invested in a character's story as I was in Fitz's. Every one of the main characters is so nuanced and well-written that they feel like real people, each with their own motives, personal suffering, problems, and dreams.

I also love that the series, though often heart-breaking, avoids the pessimistic, grim-dark tone of many adult high fantasy series. The books have an optimistic view of humanity and all of the characters (even the villains) are shown to have redeeming qualities or at least understandable motives, while still feeling like real people. The protagonists are deeply flawed and make mistakes but are genuinely well-meaning and virtuous. They do their best, sacrificing everything to do what is right. I love each and every one of Hobb's tragic heroes.

Anyways... This series has a special place in my heart. I could write a book about how much I love it, but I doubt anyone wants to hear me ramble any more lol. If you like high fantasy and don't mind longer, slow-paced books, I'd highly recommend them.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:47 pm
View Likes
JoyDark says...

I would completely agree with anyone who said Land of Stories (it's not the best written but I swear the worldbuilding is friggin' great)... in addition, the series Nevermoor is good in my opinion, too. Cool worldbuilding there, plus a good plot in my opinion. I don't that many series, usually just single books, so I don't know much for this.
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 am
JesseWrites says...

I Love Them All

Maximum Ride is my all time favorite. I can read it anytime, but it never gets old. I loved the concept of teens with wings. I still pick it up when I'm bored.

I am only saying this once

James Patterson books are great. :D
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 am
queenofscience says...

I love Maximum Ride too.

One of my favorit book series is The Mistmantle Chronicles
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:03 am
AngelLily says...

This is a hard one, but the Left Behind series is my top! The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica by James A. Owen is also a great series. If you haven’t read them, you should definitely read them!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:31 am
JacyBuschman says...

The Noble Dead series by Barb and J.C Hendee!

Reviews: 1
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:38 pm
STRvArmory says...

I wouldn't call it the best book series I've ever read, but so far, I've been enjoying the Empire of Storms trilogy by Jon Skovron quite a lot. I've reached the end of the second book, and it's a refreshingly adult take on urban fantasy, piracy, early tech and a simplistic magic system (at least so far) crossed with scientific knowledge.

I'm considering re-reading the two books while I save money to buy myself the third one.
Greetings.

Call me Mory.

I'm working on a worldbuilding project called The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago. You can find it here: The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago

As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro