Young Writers Society

The Official Unofficial Music of the Decade Awards

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

As the 2010s draws to a close, I've been reading all these lists of the best songs/movies/whatever of the decade. Now, I don't claim to be a woman of taste by any means, so I'm not going to make a "best of" list. Instead, I'm going to make my own semi-serious, semi-tongue-in-cheek categories. Feel free to use mine or make your own! I'd love to see what you come up with. Due to time constraints, I'm going to edit this as I go.

Aged Like Fine Wine-the songs you may not have liked at first, but that grew on you
f.u.n-"We Are Young"
Kesha-"Tik Tok" (I found her annoying at first, but now her old songs are my jams and "Rainbow" is just beautiful)

Aged Like Milk-the songs that went from jams to tired fast (not that they're necessarily bad, but they got so overplayed that you got sick of them)
Robin Thicke-"Blurred Lines"
Pharrell-"Happy"
Lorde "Royals"/"The Team"
Taylor Swift "Bad Blood" (I'm a huge fan of hers, but by the end of 2015 I was sick of her and sick of this song)
Ariana Grande 2018-2019
Ed Sheeran "Shape of You"
Gotye "Somebody I Used To Know"
Florida Georgia Line-"Cruise"
Meghan Trainor "All About That Bass"

How the Mighty Have Fallen-The titans who took a nosedive
Justin Timberlake ("Mirrors" makes me want to stab someone, and nothing else he released this decade had like any impact at all)
Maroon 5 (granted, this decline started in the 2000s, but they have not redeemed themselves this decade at all)
Katy Perry (though really "Never Really Over" is a jam and a comeback is possible)

The One Hit Wonders Who Deserved Better
Passenger-"Let Her Go" (side note: I feel bad for thinking this was Ed Sheeran for like the first six months it played. But "Whispers" and "Whispers II" are easily two of my favorite albums of the decade)
Lorde-"Melodrama" (the album)-someone asked me the other day what happened to her, and I brought up her second albums
Gotye "Somebody That I Used to Know"
Lewis Capaldi "Someone You Loved" (maybe-check back in a couple years and see if he's still around. Could go either way, tbh)
Elle King-"Ex's and Ohs" ("Shame" and "Baby Outlaw" from her second album are jams)

The Guilty Pleasures
Jason Derulo "Talk Dirty to Me"
The Chainsmokers/Halsey "Closer" (don't ask me how I never got sick of this song)
Dierks Bentley "Drunk on a Plane"
Liam Payne "Strip That Down" (side note-I feel like all the One Direction guys turned out solid songs when they went solo, though they're certainly not all the same direction)

The Artists Who Overstayed Their Welcome
Ed Sheeran (I'm not sure how he went from a song about a drug-addicted prostitute to imprisoning our ears for an entire decade, but yeah, that happened)
Bruno Mars
Blake Shelton
Imagine Dragons
Shaun Mendes
Meghan Trainor

The Songs That Will Torture Wedding DJ's for Decades
Ed Sheeran-"Thinking Out Loud" and "Perfect"
Taylor Swift-"Lover"
Bruno Mars-"Marry You"
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.
— J.K. Rowling