33%

Total votes : 61

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Do you have a tattoo? If so, what is it? If not, have you ever considered getting a tattoo or plan to in the future? If not, why not? Are there any designs you've been thinking of? What is your personal preference regarding tattoos?

As someone more creative than not, tattoos have been on the table for me as a form of artistic expression, and my main hesitation has been not knowing what exactly I'd want (my younger sister has a clearer idea about tattoos than I do, yet she's still too young to get any). Recently I've had some ideas that mean enough for me and are general enough to not dislike when I'm older, so the topic has been on my mind! I'm fairly cautious when it comes to permanency, and so it will take some milling over before I get clear about getting one or not.

One of my tattoo ideas is to get symbols of the four seasons in a small circular arrangement on my left wrist; it would signify change for me in an ironic way, like being self-aware of the probability that I'd view any tattoos I'd get differently as time goes on because I'd be a slightly different person. As well as the phases of life, death, etc etc. that general direction. I prefer finer linework and a softer colour scheme as a personal tattoo preference – probably because I'm afraid to go too bold lol – but also because it feels more folky to me? Which reminds me of the hinterland area I've grown up and feel home in. It's interesting how that's what I gravitate to.

A good friend of mine has a tattoo of a new moon on her hip because she was born during one, and she plans to get more nature-themed tattoos because that's what she's passionate about (she works as a forest regenerator). In contrast, a guy I once worked with has a whole bunch of random tattoos that don’t mean anything to him at all (besides 'they look cool'), and I've met a good few young adults who approach tattoos that way.

So yeah, tattoos have me very curious about others here on YWS! I'd love to share and discuss tattoos, learn why you chose the tattoo/s you have (if applicable), and read some different perspectives on the topic. c:
(Feel free to add photos of tattoos in replies!)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I don't think I'll ever get tattoos, but I have considered in the past when I was younger - too young to get them, but young enough to start thinking about what I want to do once I'm an adult. The main reason I don't think I'll ever get one is my indecisiveness; anyone who's been on the site long enough knows I have a problem with keeping my avatars constant, and I'm pretty sure I'd have the same problem with tattoos.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:49 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I'm noticing a theme here XD

I love tattoos for the same reason I love scars and monuments. That idea of taking a sentiment and making it permanent. You take a thing separate from all other things and you say this matters to me. It's especially the case with old people and the tattoos they got in their youth. They fascinate me because it's like looking at fragments of their previous incarnations that still exist even as their skin starts to wrinkle and discolour.

It's such a romantic thing and I wish I could be a tattoo person... but I think I'm too much of a chameleon. I change my mind so often and play so many different roles I'm almost certain that within a year I'd get sick of whatever decision I made and try and scratch it off.

I think I'll get one when I'm really old, and I've finally lived long enough to figure out something consistent enough about myself. I imagine it will most likely be something food related. I could probably commit to a tattoo that says 'I EAT EVERYTHING.'
We were born to be amazing.

92 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:23 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

lol both of your replies xD
@Tenyo I love your likening of tattoos to fragments of someone’s previous incarnations. It really is like that ^^

Permanence is the big one, and it’s mainly what’s held me back as it does a lot of people. But it sort of occurred to me that even though I change a lot in an interest/hobby sense, I tend to accept or simply not mind the way things are? I’ve had quite a few ear piercings for some time now, and although they’re not permanent I really can’t see myself ever not liking them enough to decisively and ultimately remove them? (pfft 70-year-old Coffeeism rocking ear hardware – maybe not that) At least in the longer-term. And I have a sense that if I did get tattoos I would accept them as they are ongoing and not fuss too much about them?

What has also been on my mind is work acceptability, and apart from the fact that times are a-changin’ and many more youngsters are getting tattoos, I can’t see myself ever inclined to work in the type of profession that would reject a few tattoos anyway. That said, I feel like there needs to be some level of detachment when it comes to tattoos because you can’t control the future, and that in itself is a question of character~

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I'm saving up for my first tattoo, and hope to get it (or at least book an appointment) by the end of the year!

I used to feel strongly that a tattoo should have deeply personal meaning, but as I've gotten older that's changed. For me I find that "things that are emotionally relevant" to me change more than "things I find aesthetically pleasing." And I'd hate to have something on my body that no longer means what it means years ago, than to have something on my body that's maybe a little less pretty than I used to think.

(For example, years ago I had a tattoo design picked out but didn't get because the person I was dating at the time hated tattoos and especially hated the idea of me getting a tattoo -- hindsight: huge red flag -- yet a year after we broke up he got the exact tattoo I had been dreaming of, and I'm so glad I hadn't got that design yet.)

Anyway, now I plan to get a pretty sizeable floral tattoo on my right inner forearm. I'm partial to black and grey, mostly because with such a visible tattoo I would be concerned with color clashing with my clothes. xD I work for a pretty notable educational technology nonprofit, and many of my colleagues have visible tattoos so I'm not worried professionally. Plus I live in a pretty liberal city where lots of young professionals have visible tattoos.
Got YWS?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:28 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Work acceptability is an interesting one.

I used to work with unemployed people trying to help them find jobs. It's true that a lot of the stigma surrounding tattoos is gone, and most employers just ask for them to be covered up.

The exception is face, neck or knuckle tattoos, which tend to be seen as irresponsible or unprofessional by employers.

On the other hand, although tattoos tend to be becoming more accepted, content rules are becoming more strict. I think maybe in the future even if tattoos become widely accepted and things life floral designs are seen as attractive, with our growing awareness of violent culture I think some popular designs like blood, guns or knives, might be seen as even more inappropriate.
We were born to be amazing.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:35 pm
View Likes
Miraculor77 says...

Permanency is a huge part of getting a tattoo—it's the reason I'm afraid of getting a real one. Though I am underage and can't get a tattoo, I draw on myself a lot. None of it is permanent, but if I really take care of it, the ink from the pens lasts for a couple of weeks (almost a month). Many of the drawings look like real tattoos, and many people have asked me if they are real. I do some literary stuff, like the factions' symbols from Divergent and the Dregs gang tattoo from Six of Crows (that one almost covered my whole forearm). I like BTS, so I drew the BTS symbol on my inner wrist and drew wings from either side of it until they crossed on the back of my hand.

So if I do get a tattoo, it would probably be either temporary or semi-permanent, which takes out the permanency factor that prevents many people from getting tattoos. This also means that if I ever work in a place/country that has a low tolerance for tattoos, I can just remove it for the time being. Also, real tattoos do involve pain, whether it be little or a lot. Temporary tattoos (as far as I know) are painless.
I'd rather die than live without passion.
- Jungkook

I do reviews: Reviews by Mira

92 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:01 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

@Lauren2010 I see where you're coming from about prioritising aesthetics over meaning overtime. When I was younger I also would have probably thought differently, but it's become clearer to me to think less specifically about meaning and more about designs that Older Me won't grow out of. I wouldn't ever get a tattoo that is completely void of personal meaning or connection, but the types of 'meaning' I think of now are broader and more general ideals or concepts. c: Your tattoo idea sounds awesome and I hope it goes well for you!!

@Miraculor77 Oh wow temporary tattoos take me back. xD I remember getting semi-permanent tattoos sprayed as stencils on my arm at a market stall on a couple of occasions when I was much younger, and that was an interesting experience! Permanency is odd now that I compare it, because as much as it isn't appealing, it also is because of the weight of the commitment (almost like marriage compared to a short-term relationship). Temporary tattoos are certainly the less worrying way to go, and it's cool that you draw designs on yourself! Have the styles of designs you draw on yourself changed overtime?

I've thought to get a small tattoo written in my own handwriting or drawn by my own hand, because I really love the added personal originality if it's done well. There's something comforting about getting a couple tattoos that are really my own like that. Any other tattoo ideas I have take something that already exists and mixes them with other elements or designs to personalise them more~

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:33 pm
View Likes
Miraculor77 says...

@Coffeeism
Two years ago I used to draw mostly on the palm of my hand, and those were simple drawings—symbols, silhouettes, etc. Now I can go all over my arm if the drawing is big enough, and can also go into more detail.
Here is the link to a picture that I drew on my forearm last year. It lasted around two weeks.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/bf/c1 ... 0b8a89.jpg
I'd rather die than live without passion.
- Jungkook

I do reviews: Reviews by Mira

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:29 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I have one tattoo with plans to get more!! I personally like small tattoos with lots of personal meaning.

My tattoo is on my left arm near my wrist and it's the logo of a nonprofit I've been heavily involved with for over half of my life (Compassion International). It's just a little blue guy, super simple, about dime sized. The organization means a lot to me and I can't imagine a day when it wouldn't mean a lot to me or that I wouldn't at least be able to look back on all of the memories and experiences fondly. I got the tattoo a few summers ago when I was in Colorado with my friends because I was in Colorado when I first learned about this organization way back when. (I'm a very sentimental person :p)

I've had it in my mind for a LONG time that I want to get a tattoo to commemorate when I get an agent, when I sign my first publishing deal, and maybe when my first book actually comes out. I have three small, simple ideas for these tattoos in mind that would pay homage to things that helped me along in my journey and kept me going when I was ready to give up. (#1. <3 CP, which is a loooooong story, but basically the singer Christina Perri really inspired me to believe in myself and my dreams and <3 CP was something I used to write on myself in purple pen when I was in bad mental places. #2. 27, especially if I get my agent when I'm 27. But this references a Paramore song and a Hayley Williams thing that means a lot to me. #3. Jeremiah 29:11 because it keeps me motivated.)

I also want to get a small downward facing arrow on one foot and a small cloud on the other foot as a reference to a Paramore lyric that's meant a lot to me for many, many years "keep your feet on the ground when your head's in the clouds". (I always have the hardest time doing this :p)

Those are my main ideas! I also would like a Harry Potter tattoo but will probably never get one because I can't settle on a design/placement. I like a tattoo that I can personally see, but also that I can hide when I need to. It's generally okay to have tattoos in my field, but not always.

But I love tattoos!! I think they can be so beautiful and look so incredible on people when done by a great artist. And tattoos just fascinate me. I love to hear stories behind people's tattoos :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I don't have a tattoo. I always said that if I got published I would get a comma tattooed behind my ear. Just because I really love commas. But now that semicolon tattoos are becoming meaningful in other ways for people I probably shouldn't do that. Mind you, a comma doesn't have any emotional significance to anyone except other people who really love commas. But yeah. That might be weird.

I can't think of anything else I would desperately want tattooed. But regarding permanence, I was reading a nice article saying, why do we demean people who get small silly tattoos for fun without meaning? It's really just as meaningful, as it reflects a certain time in your life.

Professionally, I work in an environment where everyone wears short sleeves and has their hair up, and interact with the public who expect you to be professional. Tons of my colleagues have tattoos, many of them interesting. In a kids' hospital, kids just want to ask you about them. In an adult hospital, people really don't care. So many people have tattoos themselves. And for older generations, at least in Ireland, I have seen many an old lady appreciating a younger lady's tattoo or shaved head or pink hair. We need to give older generations credit for being able to change with the times and accept that times change more than we do.

The only reason I would tell someone to hold off on getting a tattoo is if you really want the authentic Japanese onsen experience, because they won't let you in with a tattoo!!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:17 pm
View Likes
kingopossum says...

I don't have a tattoo, but I've wanted them for years. Seeing as in my state, you can't get one until you're 18, I'll have to wait a year longer but I'm okay with that. I've been planning tattoos for a couple of years, but only a couple of the ideas have truly stuck. I plan on getting at least a sleeve, but preferably also a chestpiece. However, this might change as I get older, so who knows?

I plan on getting quite a few scar coverups, specifically for my spinal fusion scar. I have a 20 or so inch scar down my back from a surgery, and I've wanted to cover it with a snake (cobra? maybe?) for a while now. Or maybe a sword. It's sort of awkward placement and a strange shape, though. I really just want to cover it with something to remind me that I got through that, and I can fight through any other things that comes my way as well.

I also have a lot of burn scars on my arm, and I'd like to cover them with a half-sleeve (maybe full, if i like the artist.) I'm not sure what the theme would be for that one, though. Probably something to do with sharks. They hold a lot of meaning to me, and I hope to work with them in the future.

As for covering the scars on my chest, I've liked the idea of a saber toothed tiger skull and flowers. I've been planning that one since i was 14 or so haha.

But really all of these things are very hesitant and definitely subject to change as I get older and grow a better understanding of who I am. I think I'll have a mix of meaningful tattoos and ones that are just fun or neat, since I think they're both just as good.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:55 pm
View Likes
Psychotic says...

I would personally love to get a tattoo! Unfortunately, I have a really bad fear of needles. Like, really bad. As in pass out bad. So, as of right now, it's not possible.

But I have a couple of tattoo ideas. Like the monster worm from Spongebob. I think that would be fun. Or one of the dog things whee it's a bunch of different color weiner dogs and wherever they overlap, the colors do as well. Also, Little Tunny's (an Instagram page) Bart Simpson to Garfield transformation. Or any of Little Tunny's art. I don't know why, but some of that stuff really speaks to me. Another idea would be a hellbender. You know, those giant salamanders. Or maybe a simplified version of Cerberus. A cowboy toad would be fun as well. Like, with a cigar and a cowboy hat and some chaps with a little pistol. Maybe even a firefly next to his shoulder.

A more symbolic looking tattoo that I've thought of would be of a hand holding a match while burning a poor little moth. You can interpret that any way you want.

That's just a few ideas. I have many more.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:21 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

I have six. Each one tells my story about my life. Two are bear claws, one is a crow, another is a thunder bird, an underwater panther and lastly, ink representing pictographs in Vermont.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:00 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Let's revive this because a) it's interesting and b) we're in the middle of a pandemic and I'm bored :D

I have 9 tattoos (yikes?) and will probably get more down the road. Here they are, in the order that I got them! If you're interested in photos, send me a message :) For the most part, my tattoos are rarely seen unless I'm in a swimsuit. I try to be very mindful about placement so I can cover them in the workplace if necessary and I have yet to receive any judgment (at least to my face) with regards to my tattoos.

1) Deathly Hallows symbol with the word "Always" on my right upper arm. Black and white. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, what can I say.

2) A very large swallow in the traditional style on my right upper thigh. Colours are red and yellow. Historically, sailors would get swallow tattoos as swallows are birds that travel around but always end up back home eventually. I thought the significance was very sweet since I've lived in a few different countries apart from my own.

3) A large Celtic knot representing the bond between mother on child on my left forearm. My mother and I are very close.

4) On my upper left shoulder and arm, I have another rather large tattoo of a rose/mandala/jewels. I commissioned it because I thought it would be really pretty. I was right. It's black and white except for a large jewel that is pink.

5) A lemon in colour on my inner right ankle. It was a flash sale to support a local food bank, but I selected the lemon because it represents optimism (at least for me).

6) I have a quote by the father of logotherapy - Viktor Frankl - down my spine. In fact, it's the very quote in my YWS signature: "What is to give light must endure burning."

The next 3 were all done on the same day for a flash Friday the 13th sale.

7) A small butterfly in black and white on my left hip.

8 ) Black and white lily-of-the-valley on my right ribs.

9) Black and white rose on my outer right ankle.

What's next? I'm planning on going further with a Harry Potter sleeve or elaborating on the left upper arm tattoo with a snake and more mandalas. We will see!

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

Morning without you is a dwindled dawn.
— Emily Dickenson