z

Young Writers Society

Movie Recommendations

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue May 07, 2019 8:43 pm
Mageheart says...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how obsessed modern culture is with series, adaptations and sequels - that's not a bad thing! I've been counting down the days until I see Detective Pikachu (three more days, as of this post) and that's based on a video game of the same name. But as a writer, something that I've always appreciated is original works. I want to support people and studios like me so the most popular movie series aren't the only things topping at the box office.

So what are some cool original movies coming out this year?

(Though I'd love for the recommendations to be for entirely new works, I also know that there's some amazing adaptations out there that were original in their own special - like Into the Spider-Verse and it's groundbreaking animations last year.)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue May 07, 2019 9:56 pm
View Likes
Feltrix says...

So, the movie I'm going to recommend is based on a book and is the third in a trilogy. Not exactly what you're looking for, I know. I still think it's worthwhile to look at.

It's How to Train Your Dragon: the Hidden World.

A few weeks ago, I was thinking: "I really wish there were animated movies that weren't musicals and had mature storylines while still being enjoyable for younger audiences."

I think that's How to Train Your Dragon. In every movie in the series, the ending hasn't been perfect. There's always a consequence or cost to the success. But they're still fun, entertaining movies. This isn't as revolutionary as some of the things that Into the Spiderverse does, but HTTYD is sort of like the Avatar of movies. It's clearly made for kids, but the storytelling and characters are strong enough that can be really fun for a lot of people.

Also, I read some of the books, and they're vastly different from the movie to an extent where I wonder why the producers payed to use the copyright instead of just changing a few names.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Interesting suggestion, @Feltrix! I admit I never saw the full second movie (I remember watching a bit of it with an old friend of mine) but I'll definitely check that out once I do. <3
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 am
View Likes
ThePenultimateGinger says...

Definitely not a new movie, but Gattaca (from the late '90s!) is interesting, especially because it's a reality that could be fulfilled in my generations lifetime. It follows a young man with a heart condition who is trying to maintain his job at a high-profile space company (called Gattaca), but in a world of people genetically engineered to be perfect, he has to hide his inferior identity behind a "borrowed ladder". When a brutal murder at his work is investigated, some of the protagonists DNA is unearthed, putting his true identity at risk. It's an unconventional sci-fi movie that leaves you thinking for a long time after it's done. I don't think it's very well known, apart from my biology class, where it has spawned meme accounts.
“I really think that everyone should have watercolors, magnetic poetry, and a harmonica.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)