z

Young Writers Society

Hard back vs Paper back

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sat May 04, 2019 10:15 pm
View Likes
Horisun says...

I, personally, like paper backs better. For some unknown reason, I feel paper backs look better on my shelf. I also love the flimsy ones, (Or whatever they're called)
She/Her

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat May 04, 2019 10:56 pm
View Likes
RandomVanGloboii says...

Paper back because it's cheaper. :P

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun May 05, 2019 2:54 am
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

I like paperbacks more too somehow! I suppose it's easier to read from and they don't have those jacket covers...don't get me wrong, they're lovely and splendid but not very practical when you read unless it's taped on like the library books.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon May 06, 2019 9:49 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

I prefer hardbacks. I like the more substantial feel in my hands and I looooooove the sound the binding makes when you open a hardback for the first time. I also feel like they last longer because the covers are more sturdy. Most of my paperbacks start to show their age after a few reads and my hardbacks don’t.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon May 06, 2019 10:00 pm
View Likes
ThePenultimateGinger says...

depends on how much you love the book i mean:
paperback: I loVE thIS BOOK i mean lOOK AT THE COFFEE STAINS? THE DOG eaRED PAGES? the CRACKING BINDING? paGES BENT THE WRONG WAY BECAUSE I SHOVED IT IN MY BAG ANd/oR SLEPT ON IT? I loved it anD YOU WILL AS WELL

hardcover: so uh my paperback edition fell apart because i dropped it in the bath and now i had to go out and buy another copy so thiS ONE IS EXPENSIVE AND WILL NOT GET WRE C K E D and i liked the book sO MUCH i spent A CRAZY SUM to read it again and insure against its demise
“I really think that everyone should have watercolors, magnetic poetry, and a harmonica.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Tue May 07, 2019 12:21 am
View Likes
EternalRain says...

I like both. Is that allowed? :p

I like hardcovers because I feel less like the book will be damaged (throwing it in my backpack, creasing the binding, etc). Also, I find them so much more aesthetically pleasing and they look so good on a bookshelf. Plus usually there’s some cool stamped thing when the book is naked.

That being said, I do like paperbacks because they’re cheaper and they have the charm of a book being read. While I’m not really a fan of my books being ruined (it hurts me) I also do like the charmingness of a creased binding and soft, frayed edges. So, depending on the book, I like both. :D
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri May 10, 2019 7:15 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I like slimline paperbacks written on really thin pages, the kind that flop and bend easily. They're lighter and easier to hold open. Not many places sell them by default so they can be more expensive.
We were born to be amazing.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Thu May 30, 2019 8:58 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

Paperbacks, all the way.

I feel like a "ruined" book is just a book well-loved. Dog eared pages? Coffee stains? Ripped cover? All signs of love and affection that show the book has been read many times.

I also feel like paperbacks are easier to take places with you (waiting rooms, lines, keep in your car, etc).

If I buy a hardback, it's most likely for show on a shelf and I won't ever even open it. I'll read and re-read the paperback plenty though.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

If I want to display a book on my bookcase, I would go with hardcover - it looks fancier to me. But, if I wanted a book to carry around and read randomly, I'd definitely go with paperback.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:33 am
View Likes
LanaOverland says...

Always hardcover. Because I'm a hoarder and like to display my books I hate when the binding creases and blocks out the name. It's also just easier for me to hold a hard cover open.
-Lana
Pronouns: she/hers

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:00 pm
View Likes
TylerBlue says...

I prefer paperback books because I enjoy seeing my own wear and tear on the books I love.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm
View Likes
ToxicAnglerFish says...

Honestly, Paperback because they are softer and easier to hold since hardcovers are usually heavy
FruityLooney

Reviews: 1
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:58 pm
View Likes
PawedEmpress says...

I prefer hardback, since paperbacks always get destroy whenever I put them in my backpack. Still, most of my books are paperbacks.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:24 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

pApeRbAcK.

If I'm reading a book in bed and if my mom or dad peek into my room, I can quickly slide the paperback under my pillow and it doesn't feel like I'm sleeping on a rock.

And price doesn't matter because I use the library.

Okay now that the question has been put out, and I'm thinking about it, I think I like hardback too, only because it feels secure in my hands. No other reason.

Actually, I don't even care as long as the book is good. But it should be easy to hide under my pillow.
*insert quirky signature here*

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:12 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Unless it's a book I'm holding on to for sentimental reasons or for references, I definitely prefer paperback - cheaper, lighter, easier to read, takes up less space.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin