z

Young Writers Society

Just started

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:23 am
View Likes
Requiem1 says...

Hello everyone! I just want to say that I want to start writing stories mostly for fun. The idea came through my head and think it would sound interesting and fun. I'm also new to this forum that I don't even know if this belongs in the right place.

The problem I have is I don't know where to start. Should I directly write a story or read books for inspiration. Where do I show what I've written so that I could get criticism. Criticism for me is what would make me a great author.

Hope you guys can help and I'm happy to be here. :D :D

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Hi there and welcome to YWS!

I'd say getting started writing is easiest through a combination of writing different things and reading to see how others write and to get ideas. The more you practice writing, the more you will get better at it. If you have an idea, run with it. If you're looking for ideas, you can search for writing prompts online or check out our Story Theme Generator story_theme.php (these can be silly but can be a fun springboard).

If you want to branch out into the wonderful world of poetry, now is an excellent time to do so, as National Poetry Writing Month is upon us. During the month of April, our brave poets will set forth to write 30 poems in 30 days! Check out viewforum.php?f=196 for more info if you're interested. :D

As for looking for criticism, here is a great place to share your work and get feedback. When you're ready to share something, click on the Publishing Center button in the top bar and follow the instructions. Note that to publish works, you have to earn points, which you get by reviewing other people's works.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or any other moderator (we have green usernames). Happy YWS-ing! :D
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Welcome to YWS!

It's always exciting meeting someone who's just stepping into the wonderful world of writing. It can be overwhelming to new people as well as people who've been doing it for years.

The best piece of advice is really to keep writing! Even if nothing comes of it in the end, it's practice. It's training. Just like playing an instrument. You learn to play Hot Cross Buns on the flute, but you're not about to release an album of children's songs. It's simply practice, a stepping stone to the day you play Mozart for your much grander audience.

Writing is the same way. You write a poem, a story, a script. Write a little excerpt a day even. However much you write is up to you. The goal is to always keep writing.

Never forget to keep reading though. This is how you're exposed to other styles, other ideas, other possibilities. It's not a bad thing to be inspired by others; inspiration is what truly drives us to do what we do! So keep reading novels, essays, poems, scripts, etc. Your vocabulary will naturally grow, and parts of writing will come naturally to you simply for the fact you exposed yourself so much to that kind of material. The library of creativity at our disposal is an invaluable resource.

YWS has always been a hotspot for reviews, in-depth or simple. It's one of the best things about this community. You will grow as a writer, whether you see it or not. You'll look back one day and realize how much you've learned. So if you want criticism, if you want encouragement, if you want support, YWS is the place.

Welcome aboard. :D
I make my own policies.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:54 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

this site isn't about writing, don't let them fool you

just another front for unitarian universalists

Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that.
— Ellen Degeneres