z

Young Writers Society

Sleeping tips

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:10 pm
Fantascifi66 says...

So, I've been having sleeping problems lately, and that's kinda obvious really, judging by the time it is at my place
(Norway). If you have any tips whatsoever about how to go to sleep faster, please post them here!
Not only will it help me, but also other people on this site who have a hard time falling asleep.
Thank you!
Free reviews by Fanta! [Accepting!]

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

I highly recommend closing your eyes.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:12 pm
StellaThomas says...

https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/~/medi ... ygiene.pdf
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

26 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 pm
Fantascifi66 says...

@Prokaryote haha yeah I'll try that sometime!

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.

26 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm
Fantascifi66 says...

@StellaThomas thank you!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 am
manilla says...

Here's a tip from the US Navy! I haven't tried it, but get familiar with the process before attempting so the thoughts don't keep you awake lol

https://brightside.me/inspiration-healt ... vy-620010/
Pronouns: she/they

From the wild manila folder of YWS's office.

When the last tree has fallen
And the rivers are poisoned
You cannot eat money

I do reviews: https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=108365

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:11 pm
fatherfig says...

Just lay there the ceiling will bore you to sleep that is how I do it. I still stay up hours past the time I go to bed though.
Last edited by fatherfig on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:14 pm
fatherfig says...

Blue light (from electronics) is said to affect sleeping patterns, so no electronics before bed. Set a few hour before bed aside. Drinking caffeine and not having a set sleeping time can also affect that. Kind of an insomniac I do research. Also vigorous activity will help you sleep so jog a lot or something.
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:20 pm
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

Definitely true @269609. I have that problem, though I'm usually on the electronic before bed because I have insomnia, so no matter what I do I can't get a full sleep in anyway. I usually read myself to sleep though, or just pass out from exhaustion.
"Those moments when your in so deep, it feels easier to just swim down"

"I'm erasing myself from the narrative. Let future historians wonder how Eliza reacted when you broke her heart

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:42 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Lay down on your left side. Something about your heart being more on your left, laying on your left side helps to slow it down. High blood pressure and anxiety runs in my family, so it's a trick that's helped sometimes. It's not an instantaneous fix, but a progressive slow until your body relaxes into sleep.

Reading puts me to sleep too. My eyes get tired really fast. Though aging has also helped... ;.;
I make my own policies.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:56 pm
Honora says...

I don't know if this is actually good for you but I find nice, soothing music helps me sleep. Just make sure the room is as dark as possible when playing it or it doesn't help as much. My go to for music is Chestersee. He has amazing love songs that will soothe you to sleep. Hope this helps! :)

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 am
EternalRain says...

Besides all the suggestions everyone has already posted (no electronics, read, etc) here are my favorites:
- drink tea before bed (chamomile, lavender, mint)

- I like asmr (though it's definitely not for everyone!). There are also great "meditation" videos on youtube for sleep.

- If there's a day where it's particularly hard to fall asleep, I use the "clench/relax" method where I clench every part of my body from bottom to top and unclech. So squeeze my toes, unsqueeze. Clench my legs, unclench. Etc etc

- edit: one more I just remembered! Write all your thoughts out in a journal before going to bed. This especially helps me because I get all my frustrations and thoughts out so I'm not dwelling on them as much. Also, keep a paper/pen/journal by your bed and if you have any thoughts or ideas while trying to sleep, write them down so you don't focus on them or worry about forgetting them in the morning.

Hope you're getting better sleep these days :)
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices; to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicions can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own.
— Rod Serling, Twilight Zone