z

Young Writers Society

14 Years: What's your favorite YWS memory?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:55 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Hard to believe the Young Writers Society has been around for 14 years. I created it in November 2004 as a spiritual successor to The Young Writers Club, which was a similar website started in 1996. It was managed by David Davenport, a British Computer Science Professor at Bilkent University in Ankara, Turkey, and he started it for his daughter, Derya. The month before, in October 2004, I had tried contacting David after a long absence from the site to see if there was anything I could help with. At that time, the site had entered a long slumber, and while portions of it were still somewhat active, it was definitely dying out.

Understandably, I didn't receive a response. David's daughter was only active on the site for a couple years, and I think it's amazing that he kept it running long past then. Especially considering the amount of work it took to run that site.

In its heyday, TYWC was a revolutionary site. Most people in the late 1990s were just beginning to get online, and most websites were passive experiences. You visited a site, read what someone had to say, and then moved on. TYWC, though, was different. You could create an account, post your work, review someone else's work, collaborate on storybooks, talk in a chat room, etc. Clever members even figured out ways to customize your profiles. Today, this is all probably the bare minimum for running a writing website. In 1996-2001, it was revolutionary.

However, as it was based on 1996 tech, a lot of stuff that is now handled automatically had to be done manually. Stories and poems went through a complicated submission process that delayed their posting by weeks (years by the end), and there was no pagination of comment threads. This meant that the chat wall, which was one giant discussion thread, could grow monstrously long before David had a chance to archive it and start a new one.

So, suffice to say that it took a lot of work to run the site. Nonetheless, in October 2004, I wanted to get it running again. TYWC had kindled a love of creative writing in me, and while that is not a hobby I pursued for more than a few years, it helped me tremendously with writing overall. There is a huge difference in the quality of my essays from my junior year of high-school to my senior year. I attribute that mostly to TYWC, and it saddened me that by 2004, there were no similar sites. The sites that did exist mostly catered to older writers, or were ephemeral entities that rose and vanished in months.

Thus by mid-November, I decided to try my hand at starting a new site for young writers. I did not know much about web development, but I did know some HTML, and I knew how to do things like buy a domain name and use FTP. I also knew phpBB was a popular forum program because it was used by my college.

I downloaded phpBB, and installed it on http://yws.nathancaldwell.net. The name, Young Writers Society, was a deliberate copy of The Young Writers Club, although I originally meant for it to be temporary. When setting up the forum, I had to choose a forum description. For this, I copied TYWC's slogan: "Promoting Creative Writing as a Favorite Pastime."

After setting up the site, I left some posts about it on various writing forums that I found. This is how @Meshugenah and @Crysi found the site, and I think maybe @niteowl as well. On writing.com, I left notes about YWS at the end of my reviews, which is how @Firestarter found the site. Surprisingly enough, it took a while for TYWCers to make their way here, but eventually members like @Snoink, @Griffinkeeper, and @Rydia did (emphasis on eventually in Rydia's case!).

Fortunately, the site grew very rapidly. By the end of 2004, YWS already had over 100 members and hundreds of reviews. Though there have been bumps along the way, the site has continued to prosper since then thanks to the countless contributions by thousands and thousands of individuals. Because of them, I have no doubt YWS will continue to be here as long as the world wide web remains a viable medium.

For me personally, I have many fond memories of the community, such as meeting Meshugenah, Firestarter, @Jiggity, @smaur, @Caligula's%20Launderette, and @Areida in New York City; meeting @Lava in Baltimore; hosting the radio shows; producing the literary journals; dealing with complaints about the weird guy, F.R.E.D. (a chat bot); and so much more. I also have many fond memories of times we've come together to deal with problems such as trolling from other sites or dealing with difficult issues as they illustrate the community spirit of the site.

Thank you all for making the Young Writers Society a true society of young writers. It might have been chosen as a temporary name, but I'm glad it become the permanent name. Happy Birthday YWS!

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:03 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

My favourite memories are coming back to the site after being gone for a while and always marveling that it's still here. It blows my mind that something other than Google and Youtube, especially a relatively small site like this one, has been around since I was 16. It's downright weird, actually. Anyone growing up at that time knows how many once-big sites have come and gone, and who can forget the myriad web forums for niche interests before Digg, then Reddit, subsumed almost everything. The centralization of the web has had its benefits but it's also taken a lot of the magic and fun, not to mention personalization, out of the internet.

The digital Wild West is gone now, was starting to disappear even when I first got online, but antique Yewis is still chugging along. In a century when everything cultural seems so ephemeral and fleeting, there's a comfort in that.

Big ups to Natertots and the admins for all their hard work.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:29 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

@Nate: you got me half-right. I was on writing.com, and I followed a link you posted in a club for teen writers. I remember being sort of unimpressed by the tiny Noteboard forum at first (actually I was never a fan of Noteboard and primarily used the version with the big sun), but clearly I came around pretty fast. I was 14 when I joined, so now I've literally been on here for half my life. o_O

My best memories from the early days are getting the nickname Tae in the chatroom (I think from @Tara), giving the first gift to @Duskglimmer for being the 100th member, eventually making it my mission to give every new member a "gift" of all the smilies in use at the time (this became quite an operation, often including a ridiculous game show announcer Charlie...yeah I was really hyper back then), and generally being the Spam-Master/Queen of Randomosity. In fact, I still have an average of 1.15 posts per day, even though there have been many months/years when I wasn't around.

I first made my comeback in late 2012 and became part of staff in 2013. This is where some of my favorite YWS events were put on, like the first YWStival, NaPo (at least my being involved in it), and @Cadi and @Rydia's writing challenges on the now-defunct Writing Gooder. Oh, also I put a ridiculous amount of effort into a scavenger hunt and won an Easter chick from @Rydia (his name is Henry and he hangs out on top of my bookshelf). I've also always been fond of Poetry Jams and workshops, especially one where we were discussing reading poetry out loud and @Kale read one of my poems about lost socks in a dryer in a dramatic sock voice.

Also, April Fool's is always fun.

Happy Birthday YWS! It's always been a great community of writers and I hope it stays that way, even if I'm not so young anymore. :P
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:03 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Hmm. Favorite memory is probably NYC with @Nate, @Firestarter, @Jiggity, @smaur, @Caligulas%Launderette, and @Areida; favorite random site thing would be the time Jacko and I were sitting next to each other banning each other from chat. We were both laughing like idiots.

And yes, that's mostly how I found YWS, Nate! But uh. There was some very not subtle peer pressure from @Crysi and @Elelel at the time, too.

And @Tara! @niteowl, I will never not use the nickname she gave you. Unless I'm tagging you, then I can't. Actually, Nate, wasn't that something you were going to try, once? To tag nicknames? I feel like this was maybe a thing...
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:25 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Uhhhhh, well gosh......

Not a "favorite", but when someone, I think @Juniper, told me in chat to stop being a thorn in everyone's side when I was still ThornedRose and it makes me laugh nowadays.

Coming home from my brother's tennis meet finding the PM asking me to be a JM all those years ago.

Both judging events and for and participating in the Writing Olympics, and winning as a part of Team Disney this year.

Running contests and reading everyone's submissions.

The avatar switch from this past April Fool's. And also the year where we pretended like we all quit even if it did get a bit out of hand.

Coming back last year and finding everyone still remembered and still cared about me.

Picking my mom up at the airport, pulling out my phone while I was waiting, and getting yelled at by the security guard but not processing it because I was reading the PM asking me to be a GM.

All the friends I've made, the ones that are still here and the ones that aren't anymore. Having long chats with @Rydia, @Lauren2010, @Demeter, @StellaThomas - you're all the older sisters I never had. And meeting Lauren twice and @Writersdomain and @Lava once.

I'm sure there is tons I'm forgetting, but that's what stands out right now. I'll probably come back with more later.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:15 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Oh jeez. I feel ancient. Either that or I'm just developing short term memory loss because I don't really remember much about my first few years here on the site. I know they were good ones though. I fondly remember having the Mean Girls skype group with @Blues @LadySpark @Alpha @Clarity @wonderland @Auxiira @ArcticMonkey man those were the dayysssss. We used to video chat a lot and catch up all the time. Unfortunately, life got busy and we all grew up, but I still remember those moments fondly. I remember being in my fifth period class and being on my iPad, laughing my butt off at our crazy, fast-moving chat. Good times. Super glad we have our Facebook group chat now. <3

Speaking of group chats, the good ol' days also included having a Voxer chat with @Carina and @veeren and man those were the DAYS. So glad I got to see these two losers in person this past July. It was my first YWS meetup ever and it was AWESOME <3

I remember my n00bie days and being bffs with @Ranger Hawk omg I miss you!!!

Restarting Squills with @omnom @Hannah @AlfredSymon <3 it feels like it was just yesterday...

And so many other good, fond memories. I love this site so much and I love you all SO MUCH <3 thanks for being here with us!!!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee