Young Writers Society

Humble Beginnings

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:26 pm
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

Hi all!

Long time no see. I am still alive. Barely. (2 kids).

Brainstorming and pondering novel life.

What are your favourite ways to start a novel?

Dialogue? Action? Description? Watching something/someone? Dead body? etc.

Or what have been your favourite beginnings in novels you've read?

Anywho, I am interested in your thoughts as always.

Loves. Olive <3
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:13 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

I think it depends on the novel! I like to start with something interesting--not necessary en medias res or the main conflict of the novel--just something interesting enough to catch my interest till the main cast is introduced, conflict is introduced, etc. I also like to see something that defines a character pretty well, whether it's their actions or how they see the world. I don't have any specifics, really, so I'll now list my favorite beginnings:

-The one in The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. It had a magical, fairytale quality to it which I loved.

-Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen--I think it is a truth universally acknowledged that the first sentence is great ;)

-Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. The prologue felt so mysterious and magical and fit the feel of the entire novel incredibly well.

-The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. I don't remember the beginning that much but I remember being hooked by it. I think it was talking about the specifics of a test the main character was about to take (like bring ONLY two pencils and one eraser or something like that)
always daydreaming, always clumsy

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:01 pm
Amabilia says...

A lot of the time when I'm just writing down a beginning to continue a few months later, I just start with a short line of dialogue.

"You have cancer." This is the beginning of my most recent idea.

“Allie, stop trying to go fast. You need to be patient.”

"Where are we?"

“Seb, I’ve never been prouder.”

Oh crap. this one's a thought but I think it still qualifies. This one is one of my favorites because it introduces the plot right away in the second sentence, though that's not good, I suppose.

Yeah, I don't know. That's just what I do, find whatever suits your style.

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson