z

Young Writers Society

What's missing the most from YWS?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:25 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

YWS has been more or less in a static state for a few years now with only a few improvements. I'm hoping to change that, so with that in mind, what area of the site would you like to see improved? Please be detailed!

Note that there's one thing I definitely cannot do, which is to make YWS more mobile friendly. It's something I would really like to do, but it'd require a complete overhaul of the theme. However, forums and private messages are both easily accessible with the Tapatalk app (YWS: Now with TapaTalk! (almost, but not quite, a YWS app)).

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I would really love to see a return to Novel pages, like we had in... New YWS that wasn't Apollo. I think that that was somewhere that sites like Inkpop and Figment did really get ahead of us - wouldn't it be amazing to be able to go onto a novel page, and subscribe there, and maybe even leave comments?! I don't know if that's feasible, but it's something I would love to see.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

641 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 641
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 pm
View Likes
Panikos says...

I've always really wanted some kind of 'next chapter/previous chapter' button. When I'm following a long piece of work and reading lots of chapters on the trot, I often find myself clicking on the wrong link. And if I'm reviewing something and I want to quickly go back to check something that happened in the previous chapter, it's not always fun to scroll way down to find the right number. I don't know how easy it would be to implement buttons like that, but it would be cool to have them! :)
The backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done.

~Radical Face

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

What Stella said! In addition/or, I'd love to see if linking things a la A03 is possible? So you could have series/chapters already linked and then subscribe to things that way, vs. the times someone does a wall post and tags everyone who's been reading. I'll go dig up an example as soon as I find one that doesn't give away my username there ^^
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:42 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

I would love to see a revamp of the "Clubs" Tab. They are active, but oh-so clunky whenever I use then, and especially when I'm an admin on them. I see a lot of clubs being used as glorified forum topics, so I would love to see something that separates clubs from forums. I don't know what exactly that would be, which doesn't help much, but yeah, Clubs :D
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:57 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I mentioned this to you in chat the other day, but I'd absolutely love to see some sort of way to bookmark/save a work and go to a page called "My Bookmarks" or something where we can see them all. It'd make it a lot easier to keep track of what we're planning to read/review, and we could also just find works we really liked again easily.

(Being able to do it for threads would be cool too, but not as much of a priority because we can already subscribe to threads.)
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Similar to what some others have said, I would love an easier way to follow novels. Maybe a follow button so you'd get a notification when the author posts the next segment. I like the previous chapter, next chapter suggestion to make it easier to remember and find what chapter you're on. It would also be nice to have a way to make it so novels don't get lumped in with other things in a portfolio. A lot of people know how to separate different novels and works in their portfolio so it's easier to see which chapters go together, but not everyone does this and it would be cool if that could somehow be automatic.

And I like mea's suggestion about bookmarks. I keep a list in MS OneNote of things I'm reading or want to read to keep track and it would be cool if there was a way to organize all of that within YWS.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

I think the main thing YWS lacks is a dark cyan color scheme, rather than this ordinary blue we've had. ;)

Being able to bookmark works or have a visible "reading list" kind of like Mea said would also be awesome! :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

425 Reviews

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:38 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

This is great. Thanks everyone, and please keep 'em coming.

What I'm gathering from all this is that people are unhappy with how novels are handled YWS, and that's absolutely a fair criticism. What I'll try to do is make it such that you can subscribe to folders, and that way you get alerted anytime someone adds a new work to their folder. Sounds like it'd be a good idea too to create folder index pages that can be customized and you can leave comments on.

@alliyah ->> This may not resolve the color issue, but you can change the background color of the whole site by going to Settings ->> Board Preferences ->> Edit global settings: ucp.php?i=174

Of course, another thing I'd like to do is really streamline the settings area so that things don't get buried under so many options.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:42 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Something that just came to my mind (something something Storybook thoughts) is perhaps showing what forum/subforum the posts on "New Posts" and "Hot Topics" are from alongside who made them.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

425 Reviews

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:21 am
View Likes
Nate says...

@Omnom ->> Done! Thanks for making an easy request :)

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:37 am
View Likes
Evander says...

I was wondering if it'd be possible to give points to members for posts in Resources? If they respond to a post giving advice/research, then wouldn't it be fair to give points in proportion to how many characters they wrote out? It might increase incentive to post in the Resources area too.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:46 pm
View Likes
AriannaC says...

I agree with @DarkPandemonium . A next chapter button would be sick! :D
Until The End And Beyond
-Ari

425 Reviews

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:08 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Evander wrote:I was wondering if it'd be possible to give points to members for posts in Resources? If they respond to a post giving advice/research, then wouldn't it be fair to give points in proportion to how many characters they wrote out? It might increase incentive to post in the Resources area too.

I second this idea! Posting in Resources takes a lot of effort, and I feel like it's only fair to reward members for that effort. Even if it's a set point amount like 25 or 50 points per thread (like how the Welcome Mat caps at 5 points per thread), all the better to have an incentive for our members to get involved in others' projects! Resources is where the barebones and behind-the-scenes work happens, and feedback on that is just as valuable as feedback on the first draft or finished product, because that helps build the rest of the story.
stay off the faerie paths

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:56 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Love the idea of points for posting in resources! There are some extremely well thought-out and well-researched answers to questions that take just as much (if not more) time to craft than a well thought out review. There should definitely be a reward of sorts for that.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart