Young Writers Society

What's missing the most from YWS?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:45 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

I absolutely agree with points in Resources, but I think there needs to be a way to not get points for just posting in your own LMS thread or something. Maybe you only get points if you're not replying to your own topic? I assume that's possible since that's how review topics worked back in the forum days.

And since we're talking about improvements to YWS, I'd love to have the line breaks on poetry work so we don't have to resort to weird formatting or code to post a poem properly. I know that fixing that might be really difficult, but it would make our poeting lives so much easier. <3
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:28 pm
View Likes
Clarity says...

Is there any way to be able to alter the maximum image size for avatars? I've spent an hour before trying to use different websites to resize images and they always turn out too grainy. I'll survive if not but it'd be nice!
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

I love the next chspter/bookmark idea, as well as the forum rewards.

I think a personal progress meter would he nice on the home page for reviews and whatnot. Maybe something similar to what we had for the September Review Month. I think seeing your meter filled up halfway after doing 5 of 10 reviews in a month would be a great visual of your progress, and would be a little bit more couraging than "you have 70 more reviews to you next star" -_- potentially the same system could work for works that you are following, showing you how many chapters you haven't reviewed yet in a followed folder.

And any sort of slight theme change up or revision would be nice. Nothing radical (i luv me some weird yws blue <3) but maybe changing some of the tab and homepage formatting. Vertical instead of horizontal maybe. Also, and this would be more on users, but having some way for the featured works to have a picture pertaining to their topic (like have the option as a publisher of putting a "cover" on your progressing novel)

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I think a personal progress meter would he nice on the home page for reviews and whatnot. Maybe something similar to what we had for the September Review Month. I think seeing your meter filled up halfway after doing 5 of 10 reviews in a month would be a great visual of your progress, and would be a little bit more couraging than "you have 70 more reviews to you next star" -_- potentially the same system could work for works that you are following, showing you how many chapters you haven't reviewed yet in a followed folder.

I really like this idea. Maybe it could be set up so users could set a monthly review goal and then the meter would show their progress. That might help with encouraging reviewing throughout the month.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:47 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I think I preferred it when we got points even for tiny reviews. If I only get a one sentence feedback saying 'I read to the second paragraph and got bored' then at least it's something and I can appreciate and work with that. I'd rather people not feel obliged to force feedback in order to qualify for the points. It makes me kinda sad when I get likes on my work but no comments.
We were born to be amazing.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:39 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

@niteowl you said that so much simpler than I did :mrgreen:

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:02 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Thanks everyone! Please keep 'em coming.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Not really a website request, but now podcasts are ubiquitous, I'd like to see a return of the radio show! Happy to help out.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:46 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Firestarter wrote:Not really a website request, but now podcasts are ubiquitous, I'd like to see a return of the radio show! Happy to help out.

Omg, can we do this???
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

Evander wrote:I was wondering if it'd be possible to give points to members for posts in Resources? If they respond to a post giving advice/research, then wouldn't it be fair to give points in proportion to how many characters they wrote out? It might increase incentive to post in the Resources area too.

This has garnered a bit of discussion so far but I haven't seen anything in regards to confirmation or cancellation, so I just wanted to hop in while I have the chance and say that it's something I'd definitely be in support of! The forums seem somewhat lively within the realm of The Lounge and Randomosity, but once you wander further it just sort of drops off, and that's pretty disheartening given just how much forum space we have to work with?

So yeah, rewarding people for branching out? At least giving them an incentive to post in these spaces and try to breathe some life back into the more desolate parts of the forums? That's something I'd definitely like to see!
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:56 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

but I haven't seen anything in regards to confirmation or cancellation

Just wanted to quickly add why this is! Aside from stuff I'm actively working on, I usually don't comment on feature suggestions. There's a couple reasons for this. One is that I have almost zero spare time, and I so I have to spend that time as effectively as possible. That means I have to have some kind of personal policy for what I comment on and what I don't comment on. Second, something I've seen in the past is that when I comment on something, it seems like discussion just ends there. You can see that in this thread where discussion on making novels better pretty much ended when I said something about it.

So, I prefer to read. That way, I get to see just how popular an idea is, and I get to see how the idea evolves through discussion. When I begin actively working on something, you'll then see me commenting on it as I throw ideas at the wall and see what sticks.

But, with points in resources, it is a good idea. It's not as easy as one would think due to YWS' ridiculous spaghetti code and some of the conditions that would have to apply, but it is possible to do. At the moment, there are other items that I consider higher priority, and which I'm working on, but I'll hopefully be able to move onto this in a couple months. Just have patience please.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

An idea I had was in reviews a lot of people use banner images or sign-offs like in signatures it'd be neat if there was a way to just upload a banner or have a saved review signature rather than type it into every review and then it also wouldn't count towards points/character count in reviews too.

On the points for resources - I'm curious if moderators would need to moderate for spam then to make sure no one is just posting nonsense in some thread simply to post a lit-work without helping the community with a review. And I think there is a risk that this might make have a negative effect and cause some people to have less of an incentive to just comment little bits of feedback because they'll be wary of being perceived as "spamming" the forums. I think this would work best if it was a pretty low amount of points - like you get like 5 or 15 points? for posting in the welcome mat - that way there's really not a need to monitor for spam too much, and people aren't intimidated that they need to write an essay every time they comment to "deserve" the points.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:18 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Oh gosh those banners. No thank you XD I like the idea, but those things are so loud and chunky. Review sign-offs would be pretty cool though, especially for review days or for the KOTGR.
We were born to be amazing.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:53 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I just remembered a small change that I'd really love to see - right now, global announcements do not show up on the View New Posts page, either when they're first posted or when people reply to them, and since I almost always use that page exclusively to catch up on forums stuff, I almost always miss global announcements. So a change that would let them show up on View New Posts like other threads would be great!
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:20 pm
View Likes
EternalRain says...

Alright, so I know this may be a hard thing to do (honestly I’ve no idea when it comes to computers and coding and things) and it’s not something that’s like “omgggg I need it now” but is something I would like, and that’s being able to like replies on Wall post comments. Sometimes I just want to like a reply someone has posted on my wall post just to show that I’ve actually acknowledged what someone has said, or sometimes there’s suuuch a funny thing that someone else has said. Or whatever the instance may be.

Again, not really a BIG thing, but it’s something small that I think a lot of people would enjoy. (And if it’s too difficult to add or too time consuming, then I totally get it).
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury