Young Writers Society

What's missing the most from YWS?

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:33 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Reviving this because why not, but I would like to see the ability to have pinned messages or links on clubs, similar to the sidebar in Storybooks. I've known several times where I would have like to link important and often used links to clubs. While I'm at it, that feature for forum threads would be cool too. Like, a sidebar for community threads that link to important threads like rules or FAQs

EDIT: Another thing I would love to see in clubs is a hidden forum for admins/officers, so they can communicate within the club instead of through PM (or even in a different, hidden club). Maybe within the 'Admin' tab?
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:58 am
View Likes
Horisun says...

This might sound stupid, but it would be awesome if you, say, had a work you did, but only one or two people reviewed it, and it would be drowned out by newer works, there'd be a place like the green room but for older works. Like, every month, old works would get some attention?
She/Her

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

@Horisun, it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it would work in execution. You do get extra points for reviewing a work that has been in the Green Room for more than a month. There's also a side bar in the Green Room for "Works by newer members" that I believe showcases works by newer members regardless of how many reviews the piece has got. Also, the Literary Spotlight doesn't have an age limit, so if everyone were to go start liking an older piece, it would get up there (this has happened and probably will happen).

Also, one issue with spotlighting older works is you have no idea if the member has moved on from YWS or is active but no longer working on the piece and doesn't want reviews on it. How old is "old" and how does one choose "older" works to spotlight? Also, if there's too many spotlighted areas on the site, members will probably pay less attention to all of them. With the Green Room as full as it currently is, I think we should keep the spotlight focused on those works.

Right now, if you have a work that's old and has been bumped from the Green Room but you still would like additional reviews, you have a couple options:

1) you can spend points to "bump" the work, which puts it back to the top of All Literary (but doesn't put it back in the Green Room). This would be worth the points if you've made substantial revisions to the work and it would increase its visibility.

2) You can go over to viewforum.php?f=188 and request a review. This is a good option because you can see the previous reviews of the reviewer you're requesting to see if they're along the lines of what you're looking for.

3) A lot of site activity occurs on the People tab these days, so you can always make a status like "Hey! I'm still looking for reviews on My Super Awesome Poem" or "I got some great reviews on The Greatest Story Ever Told, but I made some changes and I'd love to see what you think!" This would make the work more visible to your followers, so this would work best once you've been around a little while and have a lot of followers.

4) You can also reach out to previous reviewers and ask what they think of any changes you've made. Or you could even ask people who have reviewed Recent Work X if they would also take a look at Older Work Y.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:31 pm
View Likes
Horisun says...

You make a good point. It was just a idea.
She/Her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:08 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'd love if there was a feature to save character profiles over in the storybook section of the site, just like with regular posts. You can submit it and go back to edit later, but there's nothing to prevent an entire profile from being lost if you accidentally go back a page on your browser before submitting it.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 am
View Likes
tigeraye says...

Please oh please add a like button to the "Thank you for reviewing page". I want so badly to not have to scroll all the way back up after reviewing to like a work, or lest I forget altogether to do so and a great work misses out on the recognition it deserves.
dot

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:58 pm
View Likes
fatherfig says...

"We need you, Nate. We need you. Without you, how can we possibly fight the alien forces from Planet GX14 that threaten our website on a daily basis*?"

@Snoink
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:23 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Ahem

Petition to have a notification alert you when it is your cake day. I have missed mine by a couple days yet again, and it is a sad situation.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:48 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

Oh man, I forgot about this thread.

This may have already been suggested, or at least I recall it being wished for a few times in the past, but a bookmark system for posted literary works would be really neat?

Also maybe the ability to like comments on status posts, but that's less cool. But maybe the ability to turn off notifs for posts where you commented and then it gets a ton of traffic and you Don't Want To Keep Getting Pings For It - or just straight up the ability to delete comments left on posts, but I feel like that could cause issues so nvm.
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:17 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey @Nate I absolutely love the new updates you introduced in 2023 and I thought I'd add a few thoughts of things I think would be welcome additions from the site from the perspective of a very regular user & mod.

1) Chat Shortcut could be removed & Replaced with WFP Shortcut

I think WFP is used a lot more than Chat, and chat is not currently working for users anyways, so a WFP short cut just makes more sense I think in that upper header and would probably help new members figure out where it is sooner.

2) An "Anonymous User Free" Option for WFP
It's a pain sometimes when users don't use their actual usernames for chat in WFP -> not sure how feasible it is, but I wish there was an option to have users have to use their usernames in WFP.

Another solution would be if it was possible to allow moderators or pad-owners to see who the users are even if they enter the pad anonymously.

3) The Private vs. Public Checkbox Switch
If you click "Edit your portfolio" currently a person has to checkmark the box that says "Private" for a work to be "Public". and then they have to uncheck "Private" to make it "Private". To me that seems counter-intuitive - and I know it has confused some users in the past - > I'd love to see this switch around, though also understand that might be a huge hastle to do.

4) Bookmark or Reading List function
Would love a way to "bookmark" authors or novels to "read later" or get notifs when certain novels are updated.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

207 Reviews

Reviews: 207
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:57 am
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

Most of the updates for YWS are done through posts on walls in the people tab or in a forum. I'm not sure if anyone suggested this or it already exists, but I think it would be better if there was a specific place where you could go to see important updates or events that are currently happening/about to happen.
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
~Dr. Seuss

Orabella ~ Ora ~ Avenue ~ Aven
She/her

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:08 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

OrabellaAvenue wrote:Most of the updates for YWS are done through posts on walls in the people tab or in a forum. I'm not sure if anyone suggested this or it already exists, but I think it would be better if there was a specific place where you could go to see important updates or events that are currently happening/about to happen.

So basically a "subscribe to" xyz option? Seconded!
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:49 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Idk if anyone else has said this, but there should be a way to delete story drafts
How dare you make fun of Molly Mcgee?! That’s my job!!

—Scratch, The Ghost and Molly Mcgee

[Gengar! :D]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory