z

Young Writers Society

Best Animated Films

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:36 am
Nai says...

The Lion King, Aladdin, Cowboy Bebop the Movie, A Bug's Life, Toy Story, Kikaider
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:03 am
DarkerSarah says...

the Hunchback of Notre Dame (Go Achilles!!)

Is this a joke or did you get just get the name wrong?

Beauty and the Beast, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, and the almighty Lion King. I'm with Nate on this. It is such a beautiful story. Such depth in cartoon lions. It's still the bestselling VHS of all time, I think.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:50 am
Tara says...

I don't like Finding Nemo. It just seemed like a ploy to get more money...idk, it might be b/c everyone was so into it. "Nemo's so cute, Nemo this, Nemo that". Drove me crazy! Grrr!

Ahem, anyway...yeah, I liked Brother Bear, tho! Hehe, didn't expect to like it that much, but I loved it. :D
But nothing can replace the oldies. Like Nate said, Lion King rules!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:29 am
Crysi says...

Spirited Away, Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Beauty and the Beast, and Anastasia.

I will strangle the next person who says Toy Story. *shudders* I've MEMORIZED both I and II because I've seen it so many times in school..
Love and Light

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:22 pm
Areida says...

DarkerSarah wrote:

No, it's the name of Phoebus's horse, lol. You know, "Achilles, sit." Which if you think about it, the Disney people were pretty clever to come up with that...
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:09 am
Willow says...

I love all the old Disney films, especially Lion King, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Alladin and Cinderella.
I just didn't like watching Hunchback of Notredame coz when I was little I started crying coz I felt sorry for Quasimodo.
Oh, and I always watched The Aristocats :D

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:32 am
DarkerSarah says...

No, it's the name of Phoebus's horse, lol. You know, "Achilles, sit." Which if you think about it, the Disney people were pretty clever to come up with that...

Haha...okay.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

Reviews: 0
Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:34 pm
Laeorn says...

The Iron Giant is my favourite animated movie ever. It's not the most impressive piece, technically speaking (although its style works well), but the story has a lot of heart and the characters are endearing. I've seen it many times and it never gets old.

The Lion King is also an excellent movie, and is edged out (just) by The Iron Giant for me. It too is loaded with heart and great characters, and is an extremely touching experience. Every time I watch the opening of the movie I get chills.

Pixar makes great movies - I suppose I like The Incredibles the best of their works (is it any coincidence it was also written and directed by Brad Bird, the director of The Iron Giant?), but all their movies are great. Toy Story 2 has some beautiful segments, especially Jessie's song. I like A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo as well, but the original Toy Story is pretty rough around the edges, being the first 3D movie and all.

Aladdin and The Emperor's New Groove don't pull at the heartstrings, but they're fast-paced and a lot of fun to watch. I like Ebert's idea that these two movies were made by animators at Disney that just wanted to sit around and wear silly hats.

Miyazaki is a genious. My Neighbour Totoro is a very simple movie that captures the sheer joy of being a kid. How can you not watch that movie and be moved by it? His other films are good as well, although I would hesitate to put Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky in the same sentence as Spirited Away, which is just magical. In contrast, Princess Mononoke is pretty heavy-handed in its messages, which dulls the experience somewhat.

And finally, no animation list of mine is complete without listing another of my personal favourites - The Nightmare Before Christmas. Short, sweet, and Tim Burton-ish. There's really nothing else to say about it.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:24 pm
Rei says...

Actually, Spirited Away is Disney related or the American version. They did the dubbing.
Animation for grown-ups:

Gjost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Blood, the LAst Vampire.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:42 pm
Zion says...

Ghost in a shell is great. I didnt like blood too much, but vampire hunter D is much better than blood
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

685 Reviews

Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:53 pm
Rei says...

Blood was cool. My favuorite part of that movie was when Saya runs into the nurse's office with this happy party music playing in the background and she slashes a vampire in half. Completely freaked out the nurse, since she thought the vampire was an anemic girl.

Have you seen Ghost in the Shell Innocence? I thought it was a little too heavy on the philosophy, but the action sequences were great. When I went to see it with my Mom, afterwords there were these college students discussing it, and you could tell that they were having problems understanding it. I suspect they were new to the genre. It would have been so funny if they had come up to me and asked me if I understood it, so I could say, "Every word." The bext part is that I speak a little Japanese, so sometimes I could tell that the subtitles didn't match the actual dialogue.

I personally don't like Pixar. Mamoru Oshii described American animation as ready-made products, made to consume. Which seems like what has happened to the entire American film industry. In many cases, the real art of film-making doesn't matter anymore. That's what I like about The Triplets of Belville, and Japanese animation. It's silly and strange, but it's also a piece of art. I honestly can't remember the last time I went to see an American animated movie that had hand-drawn characters. Might have been Titan A. E. And that was nearly five years ago.

Other animated movies for grown-ups:
Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress. Both are works of genius.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:14 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I LOVE Disney films! Although I think the new ones kinda suck, and the sequels kinda suck (Mulan 2 was a big disappointment T_T) anyway my favourite animated films are, in no particular order:
Aladdin 1 + 2 haven’t seen the third one yet
Mulan
The Little Mermaid – I hate the sequel to this, it was just the same film but with minor changes.
The Incredibles – it’s starting to grow on me
Beauty and the Beast
Pocahontas
Cinderella
The nightmare before Christmas
I know there’s more but I can’t think of them all right now, if I remember I’ll add them later. The main reason I love the Disney ones though are because of the songs…and the storylines…and everything else…

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:42 pm
Zion says...

Disney was making great stuff in the past. Now it seems their inspirations are dying out.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

685 Reviews

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:47 pm
Rei says...

The reason for that is mostly because they go for what worked before rather than going for something that is genuinely good. They care more about big opening weekends rather than actual quality.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:49 pm
Areida says...

I know...it makes me sad...they kind of died out (not including the Pixar stuff) after Hercules.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

You wake up in the morning and it feels impossible? Good. You do it anyway.
— Martin Scorcese