z

Young Writers Society

Writing inspiration?

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun May 13, 2018 4:39 pm
Evander says...

What brings you inspiration to write? Or, rather, were you inspired by a specific author or song to become a writer? What particular event made that click in your mind? Basically, if it involves writing and inspiration, then it probably belongs in this thread. :P

Like, uh, I'm honestly inspired to write when I have deadlines? Nothing gets my writing kicked into gear than a concrete deadline set by someone else.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 pm
View Likes
elysian says...

It's hard to really remember when writing became a passion for me. The furthest I can trace it back is probably fifth grade, and that was just for fun until my teacher told me that I had a lot of potential as a writer.

Something that has always been a huge part of me is music, so I started off writing lyrics and poetry, and now I've grown more into novels.

Twenty-one pilots was a huge inspiration when I was starting off, they have such thought-provoking lyrics, and I wanted to do the same with my poetry.

now I find inspiration through my life and other's lives, music, other books, and my dreams :-)
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 am
View Likes
Mea says...

So, ever since I was a really little kid and first figured out that someone had to have written all these amazing books I was reading, I've had it in the back of my head that it'd be really cool to be able to write books like this myself. So that was my very first writing inspiration. :P

These days, definitely the thing that gets me through the day-to-day "butt-in-chair" necessity is deadlines and word count goals. I love seeing my word count tick up, and it's the boost I need to get past the initial hard stage and into the flow of things.

As for ideas, I take a lot of inspiration from things I love to watch and read. I take inspiration for themes from things I spend a lot of time thinking about, often in reaction to what I read and watch - I recently realized that several of my attempted novels essentially ask the question "when is it right to rebel against an Oppressive Government? where is the line between terrorist and freedom fighter?" That's something I've wound up thinking about because of the so common dystopia/fantasy trope of overthrowing the evil dictator.

Music also inspires me, mostly because of how well it conveys a particular mood, and then I find myself wanting to fit that mood to a story. I also love how music tells and interprets stories. Basically music inspires stories, and those stories inspire music, and it's a lovely loop of inspiration. :D
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

I would have to say I find my greatest inspiration when I do something different, have new experiences, and get opportunities to see ordinary things in an extraordinary light.

One day after a tough night shift I couldn't sleep during the day. I was feeling the weight of many nights of witnessing other people's catastrophes. I needed out. I spent the day up in the mountains, alone. It was completely different to when I usually go to the mountains with maps and plans and a group of friends for safety. The entire feeling, the freedom, and the release that I got was incredible. It inspired me to write something where mountains play a role in the plot.

Weirdly enough my dreams have influenced my writing style. For many years, I used to have repetitive dreams of being chased, so even today my writing often contains themes of running from something (whether it be truth or monsters), and often some sense of inevitability.

I don't get any writing inspiration from music, oddly enough, and deadlines only work when I have a plot and character development trajectory planned out. Which doesn't happen often!

Skillful writers of any kind inspire me. I am most inspired by anyone who writes engaging character development and vivid imagery (without feeling like they are describing anything).
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Reviews: 1
Fri May 18, 2018 12:13 pm
View Likes
ainsleighbaby says...

storytelling has always been one of my favorite things since i was a kid - the novel of it all (i am so sorry for that) is so wonderful and fascinating. creating my own universe and rules is so much fun.

oddly enough what motivates me to actually write is spite? i get really angry when people try to set down any kinds of "rules" for writing (to me, there are none) and i usually try to write a story that completely and utterly shatters those rules. i've written a story without pronouns or description of the main character before (which was very fun and i actually reccomend more people try it). strangely enough it was a very character driven story.
♡they/them♡
♡"If you have a bad day, like a really bad day, try to treat the world better than it treated you." -Patrick Stump♡
♡write the story you want to read.♡

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak