z

Young Writers Society

Vid Game Chit-Chat

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:01 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

I watched one play through of Oxenfree, and it seemed really cool. The only thing that would keep me from playing it (if I had the money <.< ) was the few kind of creepy aspects of it that I can only vaguely remember because it's been so long since I watched it. Maybe if someone was with me.

I'm kind of a wimpy gamer xD I love to watch horror games, especially story driven horror games, and lots of other independent games, but I don't play a lot myself. Aside from Undertale and DDLC, there are so many games that I love but probably won't play for myself for one reason or another. (Some examples: One Shot, Deep/Deeper/Deepest Sleep, Welcome to the Game, Kindergarten!!!, FNAF, Cuphead, and the list goes on.)

I used to adore Minecraft. When I was in middle school, every hour I wasn't working on homework, I was convincing my friends to play Minecraft with me. And if I wasn't doing that, then I would go into some wimpy peaceful mode survival series because I was absolutely terrified of monsters and could not battle for the life of me. I loved to go cave spelunking, but the abandoned mine shafts would give me nightmares xD After hearing about all the updates, I think I would love to go back and play it again and see if I've grown at all. Too bad I don't really have the time to spend hours on Minecraft currently, but maybe over the summer I'll boot it up and give it a shot.

Personally, I still love Nintendo games. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a Nintendo Switch because I decided I would much rather have a functional laptop for college than a gaming console (BUT ONE DAY ;-;), but I have the 3DS and as many of the Pokemon games as I can get a hold of. I've played them all and I love them all. I've recently been playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Conquest, which I personally believe was a gem that didn't kick off. The strategy in it is a lot of fun and also, I love the collecting elements in both of them. It's super satisfying. I also love Pokemon because of all the different kinds, as well as the shinies that are involved! Definitely an avid shiny hunter -- no joke, I once spent three months hatching a thousand Aerodactyl eggs using the Masuda method and ended up with two shinies on the same day. Best day of my life.

I just like puzzle and strategy games with collecting elements because I like to play things methodically and intentionally. So a lot of straight fighting games aren't my thing. (Unless you count Super Smash Bros <.< But that's really only if there is company around for me to beat-- I mean play with.)
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue May 01, 2018 1:49 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

@Hattable I'm not sure whether it would be mine or not either! It kept popping up when I was browsing around so I decided to add it to the 'maybe I might play', and the summary for it seemed interesting enough. But I'm not 100% sure what it's about ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'm bad at not knowing much about a game until I've played it, but it keeps it interesting. It works like, 98% of the time?

I've never played RuneScape, so I don't know how that compares, but I play WoW on and off, so I could see where it could be somewhat similar to that? The layout of controls is, and I think Dragon Age 2 could be most comparable graphic-wise? I don't know. I think the graphics are pretty nice, but I'm biased haha. I've heard a lot of people want Dragon Age Origins remastered, but I'm kinda on the edge about that. i'm not nostalgic at all. what? But it's also not for everyone.

I've heard a lot of people talking about God of War, and I was planning on watching it, but I haven't gotten around to it, and I don't really know what it's about? *just like everything else* The graphics look very nice though.

Okay there's so many people talking about Minecraft, so I'll weigh in. That game was a huge deal for me years back, and I had one friend who I used to play with almost daily. This is going to sound odd, but over time, I just got exposed to a lot of hate for the game, and I sorta turned that on myself and I became uncomfortable about playing it? That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I did end up just drifting away from the game. I still don't play that much (mostly because of TIME though. oh wait. there is none), but when I'm not feeling good, I like to hide with my laptop, soft lighting and ambience music and play it because it's peaceful and relaxing. That is, I play it on peaceful survival mood so I don't have to deal with fighting, because honestly I just like the designing and building. and modding.
So I like Minecraft, just not some of the community. And that's not to say there aren't some really great people there, I've met some really great people on there (there is a story of how my friend and I met a guy who kept asking up to be moderators on his server and, in retrospect, that's kinda unnerving, but we finally just agreed and came on and he ended up being a close friend of mine for over a year? He was a pretty cool guy). Just wish there wasn't so much stigma in the community...if that makes any sense? I don't think I explained myself very well at all. oh well.
long story short: I made a mountain out of a molehill. Minecraft is pretty cool otherwise!

I want to try out some spooky games, cause I haven't before, which is a terrible idea. Not even because I get spooked, but because I get really wound up and tense? Like, horror games/stuff doesn't have a tendency to scare me, it's just really intense? A friend recommended Little Nightmares and I've been waiting for that to go on sale for half a year. I've considered Among the Sleep and Until Dawn, but I feel like I wouldn't want to play something like that since I already know the story? (Or most of it. I never saw a full Among the Sleep play through) Plus I suck at QTEs since I'm constantly forgetting which symbol is where on the PS4 controller, so Until Dawn would be a nightmare for me :o

I know I said I like cooperative games, but I also like competitive games sometimes? I'm not a real competitive person, but I enjoy the challenge on occasion. I love capture the flag on almost any game I've played it on, and when I'm at my dad's, we often play Call of Duty stuff. It's really awesome they've added bots to the new game so we can fight against them, because the skill level between us when we're playing 1x1 is...unbalanced. But at least neither of us are competitive lol.
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Thu May 03, 2018 5:49 am
View Likes
Caerulean says...

^ I was thinking of mentioning Kingdom: New Lands! :D I got Kingdom: Classic for free on Steam months ago, completed it, and I wanted more! This sequel is HARD... kinda... depends.

I'd been recording myself playing it though I don't know if the videos are any fun since it's a rather repetitive game and my commentary is just bad. lol I haven't even watched any of the recordings back completely.
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu May 03, 2018 6:13 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

@Caerulean, I never played the original (actually never heard of the series until I encountered New Lands) but yeah, it's pretty good! If New Lands is hard, though, the original must've been pretty easy, lel. I mean, yeah, I had trouble at first, but it's pretty moderate so far? (second island)

Haven't played any more of it since my last post, but I've been playing FEZ today.

It's a fun little 2D/3D hybrid game? Like, the characters believe their world is 2D, but suddenly you can spin it around and explore on a third dimension. I wrote a little review of sorts on it, over in Media Discussion, if anyone wants to check that out:

FEZ - Video Game Review - In Progress

It's unfinished, since I'm only a short ways into the game, but yaa
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu May 03, 2018 8:11 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I'm currently playing Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines, or whatever the title was. It's fun and I like it a lot. My favorite move to do is this move I like to call the melty punch. And my character wears these silly matrix sunglasses that I won't be able to get rid of.
I hope I'll still be able to have a social life despite wearing sunglasses indoors and at night...but if Neo and Tommy Wiseau can pull it off, so can I, dammit!
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu May 03, 2018 8:53 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Also, because it amuses me, I like to pretend that everyone who tries to kill me is almost entirely motivated to do so by rage over the sunglasses.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 pm
View Likes
Caerulean says...

@Hattable Kingdom: Classic was made free for some time months ago and it was advertised on the Steam games-on-sale thing which pops up when you log on. Anyway, Classic was more simple/straight-to-the-point in a way that when you already know how to win the game, it becomes easy. On the other hand, New Lands HAS WINTER has some more depth and technically gets harder as the map gets larger. Also, WINTER.

The thing about the Kingdom games is that you can lose the game with just wrong move/decision, even when you're already about to finish the game, and then you start all over.
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

Reviews: 0
Wed May 16, 2018 10:40 am
View Likes
KatiEKat says...

Hey everyone I like pokemon! I like to play a lot on pokemonshowdown so if anyone wants to play then let me know and we can get to battling >:3 i kinda only do random battles though but im really good i swear xD
so many cute cat avatars i might die!!

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed May 16, 2018 3:39 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

@KatiEKat, oh neat! Have you played any of the main series games, or spin-offs from Nintendo? I've played through a good chunk of Pokemon games, I think, but there's also always a ton more than I can think of off the top of my head, so that could be entirely wrong.

I was trying to play Ultra Sun some more a couple months ago, because I'd bought it and then just let it gather dust, so I thought "Hey, this isn't what video games are for". So I played a little more. Then I put it back on the dust shelf.

I also started playing Pokemon Go ((two years late)) because I finally had a device capable of running it. It was okay for a couple days. Now it gathers digital dust on my smart devices. What a cycle these poor creatures have fallen into!

--

In other news, Stardew Valley's multiplayer is in beta (or is beta over? Probably not) and I'm looking forward to playing it with my good friend @Evander. I've played singeplayer for about 14 hours, collectively (not straight), and it was an alright time. Evander has played for over 100 hours, and I believe that is all definitely straight, in one sitting, not even bathroom breaks. So let's see if we can get him to come in and tell us a bit about the game because this thread could use some activity again and that one hasn't been mentioned in incredible detail, has it (I'm not remembering someone mentioning it earlier oh no)--

@Evander, how is Stardew Valley and are you looking forward to us finally trying out the multiplayer version next week?
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

Irresponsibly-conceived assignments don't deserve responsibly-executed complies.
— Persistence