Young Writers Society

Vid Game Chit-Chat

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

@Hattable oh yeah, I do recall hearing that you play DnD! I happened to play Divinity before I played DnD, but now that I know both games, I can agree that the similarities are uncanny. If you want to play DnD as a video game, then Divinity is the game to play. I'd totally recommend checking it out if it ever goes on sale >_>

Lol, interesting that you're not a fan of turn-based combat even when you like Pokemon. xD But it's understandable, especially since they take way longer and can annoying sometimes.

I played Diablo III also on co-op which is a mega hack-and-slash game, and although it was so satisfying to kill everything in my path, I found myself getting bored of it after a while. I was all, "Where are the tricks? WHERE'S THE TACTIC??? I AM JUST A COLD-BLOODED MURDERER."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:46 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

@LittleLee I play Skyrim! Just got back into it actually! I'm very slow at progressing though, I spend far too much time exploring :o I also started Oblivion, but I haven't picked it back up because I really don't like the xbox controls? I have it on pc because I was given the box set of Elder Scrolls, but I've only played Skyrim so far.

I could talk about many games that I love (I'm a pretty avid gamer, but I haven't had a lot of time for it lately), but my ever since I started Dragon Age Origins, that series has been my favourite! I haven't played Inquisition yet, but hopefully at some point. I really love games with lots of story (gee I wonder why lol). I love most rpgs a lot, and there's several that I'd like to try out. Games with pretty art styles are my jam <3

I also love games that have puzzles and stuff to solve. I started playing Portal a while back and never finish it, but I finished the coop version (which I'm playing through again cause it's been a while and my memory is terrible anyway!). Uncharted is another series I adore, haven't played the new game yet though.

Also, coop games! I love coop games! Except that there are very few people I know who are also gamers :c

I could probably talk about several games for hours, but I'll leave it at that. probably going to go through and take notes for future game suggestions lol
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:06 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

@scribbleinks I've got Portal 2 on Steam, and also don't have anyone to play co-op mode with, lel-- I should try to finish the single player game itself, though, anyway.

I've played a chunk of Uncharted 4, and it's pretty fun. I've found a collection of the previous three games for pretty darn cheap, but it's the same issue with, uh, Skyrim on console-- don't want my younger siblings picking up on any of that language. *finger guns* Uncharted doesn't seem to be on Steam, though, unfortunately.

I haven't played Dragon Age anything, but I've seen some videos on it. It looks alright. You mention liking pretty art style and puzzles; have you played Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild? The art is beautiful, and it's an open world full of fun puzzles. The art actually came out pretty darn good considering they were focusing more on gameplay, so I've heard.
Dunno if you're into Nintendo or even have access to a Nintendo console, though, but if you haven't played it and you get the chance, I think it might be up your alley!

--

(Mmmeanwhile, I've logged 2.3 hours of that Kingdom: New Lands game so far and it's definitely fun.)
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

351 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:29 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

@Hattable I haven't actually played Portal 2 on the pc, though I imagine it's not much different (beside console and controls). At some point somebody asked me to play it with them and then that...never happened? Now it's just sitting in my steam wishlist lol. But same, I haven't actually finished the first one or started 2 on solo. Eventually.

I started out with Uncharted 4 cause my dad just decided to buy a PS4 one day and it came with it, so I started playing it. Before I got too far, he got the collection (probably that same on you mentioned :p) so I started from the beginning. But ah, yes, I see where that could be an issue! Naughty Dog games don't have the nicest language.
(I don't know if you'd be able to, but could you hook up your Playstation to a laptop/computer? Then it wouldn't be so...on display?)

I haven't, but I've heard a lot of mentions about it! I've never poked at any of the Legend of Zelda games, but I didn't really know what it was about either. I don't have a Nintendo console though D: at least not one that would run it.

I actually really like the look of Kingdom: New Lands from what I can see on steam? I've never been a fan of 2D games like that but I'm trying to break that habit cause there are a lot of games I've heard good things about that are 2D.

they/them

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:50 am
View Likes
LittleLee says...

@scribbleinks I play Dragon Age Origins too! But I find it a tad bit depressing...
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:09 am
View Likes
MassiveKeks says...

I like to play pokemon! I wish my phone was good enough for pokemon go DX

141 Reviews

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:53 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

So I apparently can't juggle gaming and YWS activity at the same time, because while I thought I was getting into video games more, again, I've just ended up reviewing instead. lel

But, so, Kingdom: New Lands is good. I've advanced to a second island and it's neat and the monsters are real spoopy. Will keep updated. May try to do a sort of review of the game, outside this thread, if I manage to finish it soon enough? I dunno

--

@scribbleinks, I get ya on the 2D game thing. Or, side-scrollers at least. Or both. They're typically used together, lel. Uhh, but yeah, usually they aren't as appealing or enticing on the surface. Once you dive in, they can be great. I played Steamworld Dig a while back, and while it took me a long time to get through (because I abandoned it for some time), it was pretty good? My memory of it is streeetched, though.

Classic side-scroller; Super Mario. No way am I gonna skip a Mario game because "durr, it's side-scrolling/2D". But other ones, yeah, might skip over them.

Though, there are a few 2D side-scrollers on my Steam wishlist, so maybe I'm a
h y p o c r i t e.

--

Anyway, moving on to other games, God of War for the PS4 looks pretty darn good. I probably won't get to play it because, again, little siblings. Dang it.

Uhh, the whole connecting your console to your laptop thing might work? I looked into it briefly and I think I recall backing out because it sounded difficult or something. Even if it's not, I'd have to lug the console up to my room or something, and half of the time that I'm not able to use it is because someone else is, so-- that won't really work, haha.

I do know how to connect the remote to my Steam account and play games with that, but it doesn't allow you to play ya PS4 games, obviously, so yeah-- No God of War, looks like, unless it eventually comes on Steam, which is unlikely.

For Honor, though-- might get that, if the file size isn't ridiculous.

351 Reviews

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:33 am
View Likes
Kanome says...

I've been playing Dragon Age Inquisition. Fun Fun.
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

351 Reviews

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

@Hattable Mario as a side-scroller never bothered me (and when I did play it ages ago, I really enjoyed it!), I don't know why I haven't been able to get into any others! Not that I have really been looking. I heard good things about Oxenfree, and I want to at least try a few side-scrollers before I write them off.

I'm so entranced by pretty graphics in three dimensional games lol I'm a bit shallow

I can understand hooking it up and lugging it around would be a lot of work. I'm usually too lazy to even switch our HDMI cable over between consoles most days :p

@LittleLee True! But I think you can find that in most fantasy/grand adventure/etc stories like that o:

unpopular opinion I've heard a lot of people really don't like Dragon Age 2, but I love it? I'm also kinda impressed with the short timespan they had to make it, but maybe that's just me. That game is a rollercoaster when everyone isn't just goofing.

but goodness, I can't wait to play Inquisition. It looks so prettttyyyyyy. also it's really hard to avoid spoilers lol

they/them

141 Reviews

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:39 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

@scribbleinks - oh, wow, @fortis was just talking to me about Oxenfree the other day, haha. It looks alright, but not entirely my cup of tea from what I've seen of it. Could still be a fun game, though!

Lotta Dragon Age fans in here, haha. I've never been particularly intrigued by that series, but I also only first heard of it around the release of Inquisition. I think I've seen portions of the gameplay in a Monster Factory video (hosted by Griffin and Justin McElroy on the Polygon YouTube channel), and although they immediately broke it with codes and whatnot, something about the art was off-putting. A couple scenes reminded me of Runescape of WoW, actually.

Just, something about the visuals felt kind of clunky? -shruuug-

EDIT: Oxenfree just popped up in my Steam store and I can afford it, oop

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:34 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

I've watched let's plays of almost every game mentioned in this thread lol. Including kingdom and kingdom new lands, god of war, and uncharted 4. I enjoyed watching all of them! All excellent games. god of war is new, and it tickles my fancy because the whole game is in like, one shot. like when you transition from cut scenes to game, or from load point to load point, the screen never goes dark or cuts away to anything. it's really cool . Uncharted is really cool for other reasons, and I personally really enjoy 2d side scrollers! I find them charming and less taxing on the brain or the computer. :)
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:52 am
View Likes
Mea says...

I'm really not much of a gamer at all, but I thought I'd talk about the two games I do play!

The first one is Minecraft, which I actually don't really play anymore - I just watch LPs of people playing it (specifically this group called Hermitcraft, who are great and I highly recommend them, family-friendly but not juvenile in tone). I played it a lot back in 2014/15, but don't have time for the grind at all, and so got frustrated when I attempted big projects. I'm also a huge wimp when it comes to fighting in any game, so that didn't help. There's a ton of new stuff coming out with the 1.13 update, so I might actually go back to playing it soon! I play on PC (since I don't own any type of console) and would also find it really fun to play on a server rather than single player, but I don't really know any good servers and my internet's crappy.

The *other* game I play (which I have poured way too many hours into recently) is Stardew Valley! I watched a livestream of it and thought "this sounds like the perfect game for me," and I was totally right. I just started Summer of Year 2, and I'm getting to the point where I'm making a lot of money from my farm and have gotten to the bottom of the mines, but I haven't had time to build friendships with the NPCs and stuff because I've been so focused on my farm. I just want to make it all gorgeous and pretty and then see about talking to the villagers. xD

Also, I've been really meaning to play Portal ever since my friend (who loves it) showed me part of it.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

141 Reviews

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:20 pm
Hattable says...

@Mea, oh man I've logged about 12 hours on Stardew Valley and haven't reached year 2 yet. It was fun while it lasted, but I ended up getting kinda stressed out by the mock "real-time" and how you can only save by sleeping, and I never wanted to waste an in-game day so I was like "oh man gotta wait 'til late late late before sleeping" and aah.

Good game, p fun, just not entirely my kinda thing, so I didn't stick with it too long. Like, there's the mines? But once I'd explored town and the surrounding areas, it didn't feel like there was a lot left to do, and life in the game fell into this monotonous cycle, so bloop.

Unlike you, I put a lot more effort into relationships with the villagers than work on my farm, haha. I think I got near best friend status with Maru and a couple others, but never quite reached that strong of a bond with anyone (just yet).
Spoiler! :
Also totally messed up that party where the governor visits or whatever because I took a long break before that and forgot about it when I went back to play and instead of getting something good to throw into the potluck stew I literally put some fish or whatever that I found in a trash can on the way over.

Governor said it was aight.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

@Hattable - Oh man yeah, I keep accidentally stressing myself out over getting things done in a day, but then I sit back and remember that you can't *really* miss anything too important and that you can literally keep playing it forever at your own pace. Then it's a lot more relaxing. :P I like super chill games a lot.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 am
LittleLee says...

Anyone play NFS Most Wanted?
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

See, we could have been called The Shoes.
— Paul McCartney