z

Young Writers Society

Vid Game Chit-Chat

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 pm
Hattable says...

So, I dunno if there's already an active thread for chatting about video games, but I haven't really seen one and thought we could try one out? YWS is, obviously, for writers first, but we've all got other hobbies, right?

"Rules" are simple-- just leave a post talking about what you've been playing recently, or what games you've really enjoyed in the past or are looking forward to. For spoilers, I'd ask that you employ the spoiler tag, with the game in question mentioned outside the tags:
Code: Select all
[spoiler] insert game spoilers here [/spoiler]

since no one likes to be spoiled and that's what the tags are for. *finger guns*

But yeah, basic stuff.

---

I've recently been playing SUPERHOT which is pretty dang fun. It's a first-person shooter game, but the thing is that time doesn't move until you do. It's pretty creative, and really engaging. It vaguely reminds me of Portal (albeit more violent) in how the stages are laid out? But that's not a super accurate description, just the vibe I get.

The bad guys are all made of red glass, or something that breaks similarly to glass, so there's no worry about blood or anything if you dislike that stuff. It's a neat concept and I definitely recommend checking it out.
Spoiler! :
There's also a number of secret areas that are fun to find, although they don't offer much in the way of rewards. Just neat hidden alcoves.

phpBB [media]

--

I've also been playing Dark Souls 3.

I doubt that needs much introduction, if you're versed in modern games, but the basic gist as far as I can tell you is that you're an undead warrior(?) raised to restore a series of eldritch kings to their thrones(?) and-- save the world? Make it less spooky? I'm not great at describing this game, or understanding it, but it's fun and notoriously difficult, even for professional gamers. Which I am not. So you'll understand why I've just been making multiple characters and running a short distance beyond the first mini-boss before failing heavily, lel.

Aside from those I've been playing Super Smash Bros for 3DS with my pal, @Kaylaa, and I've been getting back into Pokemon Ultra Sun as I await Generation 8 on the Switch.

--

But yeah, what are your favorite games? Anything cool you're playing currently, or looking forward to? I'd love to hear about all sorts of games, and recommendations are also welcome!
Last edited by Hattable on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:17 am
View Likes
Rook says...

YOU have be POPPING UP all the TIME on my STEAM thing that tells you when friends are playing stuff. It was when I was playing Night in the Woods with a friend, (and I think she was concerned that I had a friend that would play something called SUPERHOT lel) And you know what I say to THAT!?!?!

Spoiler! :

1524701697742831342487.jpg

good game. good taste
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

141 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

HAhahah, oh no, @fortis - I didn't really realize how the game's name might sound if someone didn't know what it was, lel. I see you popping up on Steam playing Night in the Woods p often, too, though.

But yay, good game, sweet-- Night in the Woods looks pretty interesting, too. I might have to check it out sometime

(though that's based entirely on the artwork) what's it like?

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:24 am
View Likes
Rook says...

My friend and I finished so you won't see that again probably. I'd start playing SUPERHOT just to try to catch you with someone who didn't know what it was, but I don't have it on steam. I got it on twitch for free because I have twitch prime :]

edit whoops: NITW is very story driven. I like it a lot. very small town. excellent characterization and dialogue. def the best example of dialogue and characterization of any game or book I can name!
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 am
View Likes
LittleLee says...

I PLAAY SKYRIM
SOMEONE SKYRIM?
DARKS SOULD IS GOOD TOO BUT I KEEP DYING AND TURNING INTO A ZOMBIE
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

141 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:22 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

@LittleLee, I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I'm hoping to! I may have to get it on Steam, since I've got younger siblings and my parents wouldn't want them hearing any swears or whatev from the TV. Steam would prob allow me to play it more often, anyway, as I don't have access to the Playstation a whole lot *finger guns*

Also, Dark Souls is good, yee-- I play Bloodborne as well, and I've gotten a considerable amount further in that game than Dark Souls, but it took me longer to figure it out? Like, Bloodborne gave me the basic gist of From Software's controls and system and whatnot, so by the time I got to Dark Souls, I understood how to play. But ya, fun games; difficult games. Man I'm hyped to play some games now

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:18 am
TopKeks says...

Rivals of Aether is where it's at

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:53 pm
View Likes
AriannaC says...

Um, Hi! This might sound pretty lame, but I've been playing Curio Quest on Kongregate. Don't Judge! Its just like Pokémon! I also like Time World and SAS Zombie Assault 3.
Until The End And Beyond
-Ari

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:55 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

@AriannaC - Oh! I play stuff on Kongregate sometimes! My main obsession over there was Tangerine Tycoon, lol.

What's Time World about? That sounds incredibly interesting from the name alone.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:59 pm
View Likes
AriannaC says...

@Evander

This is the description

Time World is an addictive, futuristic Sci-Fi MMORPG with fully customizable units, unique story campaigns, and feature-rich strategic gameplay. Command your fleets on a group raid against the Demon boss, or lead a team of epic heroes on foot to destroy the evil Summoner. Win prizes in the weekly card game based tournament, or help your galaxy claim victory in Pillar Wars.
Until The End And Beyond
-Ari

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

I'm just a boring old person who barely plays video games, but I do love Minecraft! c:
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

141 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:31 pm
Hattable says...

Minecraft counts, @TheBlueCat ! lel - I used to play it a ton, but I never got particularly good at building anything. I once built this super tall slender tower in a survival mode server and kept on adding things onto it until it had this chunky series of rooms at the top and cages hanging down off the edge of those, until the server reset and I lost it, oh no. Had a rainbow sheep in one of the cages, just dangling there for eternity.

I've also attempted skyscrapers and small cities multiple times but I rarely got past a single building before getting bored (creative mode, even). I don't play much anymore, but I do like to check back in when I hear about a new update; see what's changed and all.

Are you more of a builder, or do you prefer survival mode?

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:03 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

I'm not really a video game person (though when I was young, I quite enjoyed the Pokemon games up until it got up to the Unova region :p), but I was seriously hooked by this game called Divinity Original Sin 2. It's a PC game on Steam, and coming from a non-gamer, can I just express that THIS GAME IS SRSLY ADDICTING.

Of course, it's 100000x better in co-op mode. I played it side-by-side with another player, and it was a lot of fun! It's not as much a hack-and-slash game since battling is on a turn basis and sometimes requires smart tactic. I believe the game was hugely inspired by D&D, and I can totally see that. It's a fantasy/adventure genre, you can make your own character, the dialogue is different for your according to your character, and if you decide to kill everyone, then you won't be able to do certain quests.

I thought the ending was a little rushed, but there are different variants to them, and I thought the overall story was interesting. I finished it in about three weeks, with some days where I got up, played all day, then went to bed. xD

Definitely recommend this game! It also has stellar reviews online, so totally check it out.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:10 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

@Hattable I'm a terrible builder and also get bored easily, but I love creative mode! Survival mode is sort of hard for me; I die a lot lel xD I have found that it's wayyy more fun when you can play with other people though. I got back into survival mode a bit when my cousin made a server and invited me on, and I've found that servers like Hypixel are fun too! I love the minigames. I'm also thinking about downloading custom maps to play, or maybe making my own for others. Either way, I don't play as much as I used to because I don't have anyone to play with, really. Hopefully I can find some ywsers to play with me c:
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

141 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:32 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

@Carina - I think I've seen that around on Steam! Sounds cool, especially with the DnD comparison, lel (if you've seen some of my recent wall or forum posts, you could tell that I've been getting into DnD recently). Also always down for some character creation, so that's p sweet too. I'm not typically a fan of turn-based combat (he says, playing Pokemon), but I might have to check it out!

--

I also just discovered that I've had Kingdom: New Lands on my Steam account. I bought it a couple months ago and completely forgot about it, it seems. Installed and played a bit, and it's aight. I'm sure it'll pick up. The only controls are left/right arrows for moving and the down arrow to interact with the world, but it's interesting.

You play a monarch (apparently on a redemption arc of some sort, I think?) atop a steed and ride around the world gathering gold and using it to build up your city and defenses for the monsters that crawl out in the night. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's what I've encountered so far and I'm too lazy to check the Steam page itself again, lel

Possible minor-ish spoilers below? Just a little detail, really, though, but to be safe--
Spoiler! :
I,,, lost my crown, which makes ya restart ((I didn't know this!)) but you restart as a new character and this ghost that leads you around seems to be the ghost of your previous character. Not sure if that's right, but it looked like it, and that's kinda neat.

Morning without you is a dwindled dawn.
— Emily Dickenson