Young Writers Society

Writing for Radio: A Workshop

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:25 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

It may be seen as a format of yesteryear, but with with the advent of new media and the installation of Tales from the Airwaves, they have a place in 2018. As a resource for those participating in the contest (although non participants are welcome to join as well) a workshop will be held on to practice writing and ask questions.

In order to participate, please select an established character from pop culture from the list below. I will add more characters pending interest.

Characters/Participants
Spoiler! :
Belle - @Ventomology
Luke Skywalker - @Sheyren
Harry Potter - @BlueAfrica
Indiana Jones - @Sujana
Wonder Woman - @LadyLizz
Buffy Summers - @bluewaterlily
Dorothy Gale
Superman
Mary Jane Watson - @Elinor

More details will be forthcoming, but we will be using this template on Sunday.

Any questions, let me know!
Last edited by Elinor on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Harry Potter. I forget what day of the week this is, but I think I can at least show up late, probably.

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:17 am
View Likes
Sujana says...

Indiana Jones plz
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:24 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Wonder Woman please.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

108 Reviews

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:37 pm
bluewaterlily says...

@Elinor Could you possibly add Buffy Summers?
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:48 pm
Elinor says...

Thanks everyone! I have reserved your spaces, and more information will be forthcoming shortly.

@bluewaterlily sure! I've never seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I think if a lot of people are familiar with her/the show it will work for this exercise. Would you rather have her than Wonder Woman?

-- Walt Disney

108 Reviews

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:51 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Yes please! She’s one of my favorite characters and it’s one of y favorite all time shows!

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:46 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I should be able to make this.
I'll claim Wonder Woman.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm
View Likes
Ventomology says...

If that's Belle from Beauty and the Beast, I'll claim that spot.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:24 pm
Elinor says...

Got you, @Ventomology. Anyone else who wants to join: feel free to suggest a character as well as long as its someone who is widely known within pop culture.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 pm
Elinor says...

Thank you to everyone who participated! If you want to be filled in on what we discussed, PM me!

-- Walt Disney

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:59 pm
View Likes
IacanusNegraeus says...

Anyone else who reads this, if you are passionate about this sort of thing and wish to improve your radio-script writing skills on a more casual and less formal basis, feel free to contact me starting this summer and I would be happy - nay, eager - to provide you with guidance, off the cuff "mentorship", and/or production assistance. It'd be a bit more arbitrary, but that doesn't negate its seriousness.

I know that I am not a part of the YWS endeavor, nor would I ever claim to represent @Elinor's project, which she herself has so masterfully established, but I feel as if, given my own expertise, I am obliged to offer my own services as a sort of impromptu, secondary option. I'm still learning new things every day, so I don't have the hubris to liken myself to someone like Christopher Nolan, but I myself am glad that I continue to improve on my own. It is also a good feeling. I hope that others may feel that too! Everyone has a great storyteller within them.

I'm not trying to trust-bust the monopoly or anything. I just want to let everyone who is passionate about this medium that I am available should anyone need individualized guidance, which could, in turn, ensure that the mods spearheading this endeavor aren't forced to overextend themselves, or if your scripts are not chosen and you need additional assistance...and the potential to see them produced via third party means, which can be arranged.

I just wanted to let everyone know that, despite my account's definitive youthfulness, I would be honoured to help anyone who needs help. This is a great medium of expression, and, in order to reinvigorate its relative prominence, it is imperative that the platform has as many talented writers and creatively minded individuals as it can. It really is something special.

Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief