z

Young Writers Society

What's a cool book you've read in the past month?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:53 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

I recently read Pride by Ibi Zoboi and it was really good. It's a modern Pride and Prejudice retelling with black characters and while it has a pretty cool enemies-to-lovers romance just like P&P it explores timely issues, such as race and class. Plus it was super fun guessing where the story deviated and where it didn't :P
always daydreaming, always clumsy

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:04 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@PrincessInk I *finally* bought that one, and I loved it!

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:00 pm
Atticus says...

I've been reading this book called The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested in fantasy! The descriptions have really taught me a lot about how to find that perfect balance between overtly lengthy descriptions and too-brief descriptions, and the plotline is also well developed. There's just enough tension for the story to develop well but not so much drama that it becomes overwhelming. It also subtly tackles prejudices by describing a future where people who look different are discriminated against and dehumanized. Overall, it's a very well-written book with fun characters, a good plotline, and beautiful prose!
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

460 Reviews

Reviews: 460
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 am
View Likes
Horisun says...

I recently read the Orphan Queen. It BROKE MY FRAGILE HEART! (You should read it)
She/Her

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:56 am
Zolen says...

There is a web novel titled Lord of the Mysteries. Which takes place in a victorian-esk world, still suffering from the growing pains of a industrial revolution. In a place where the magic can drive you insane, and most of the gods are evil.

The protagonist is a bit too lucky, given the dark reality around him, but seeing how everything unfolds is quite interesting.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:48 pm
Lib says...

I'm reading a book called Harry Potter. I'm sure you've all never heard of it. LOL. It's good.
*insert quirky signature here*

235 Reviews

Reviews: 235
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:21 pm
4revgreen says...

I just finished Black Sunday by Thomas Harris. It was really good, and is about a terrorist plot to bomb the superbowl.Great if you like crime fiction!
I also read Stephen King's IT which was 100000x better than the movie!
“The sight of one's own heart is degrading; people are not meant to look inward--that's why they've been give bodies, to hide their souls.”

― Shirley Jackson, The Sundial

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:36 pm
StellaThomas says...

@Horisun - that's such a good book! I enjoyed it so much!!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I recently read Rebel of The Sands by Alwyn Hamilton, and I really enjoyed it! It's about this gal who's an awesome shot, who wants to get out of her suffocating town and away from her terrible relatives in the desert. And there's really cool fantasy stuff, and it's just one of those books that's constantly moving, so you just gotta keep reading!
100% autistic

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 am
Anma says...

I have recently read the whole series of Immortal Interments. I would really recommend it for anyone who love Action/Adventure, Romance, and Fantasy. It was a really great read :D Its about a Shadow Hunters, there a group of people who fight demons. Also if you don't want to read it there is a movie about the first book. It has a few scenes and exact words from the book. Its not bad either, its actually my favorite movie as well. Also this series has been on the best sellers list for three years in a row. (Maybe more) Anyways, ya that's the resent thing i have red. :) :D

373 Reviews

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:32 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

I'm halfway in Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik and IT'S SO SO GOOD. It's like a novel-length version of a fairytale with fairytale elements like magical silver, fae-like people called Staryks, bargains, the number 3. At first I felt as though the story moved slowly but now it's picking up and I'm getting used to the style and good gracious am I excited to know where it'll go next.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:54 pm
alliyah says...

Just finished reading "Acceptance" from Jeff VanderMeer's trilogy "southern reach" - I mentioned what I thought of the first book "Annihilation" here and the second book did not dissapoint! It was completely different from the first one, but in a good way.

The first one was heavy on the science part of science fiction (narrator was a biologist) and the second book was told from the point of view of a secret agent? who became the director of what the first narrator was a part of. I found this one to be slightly less creepy than the first one, but still some spooky/uncomfortable scenes. I've already checked out the third, and can't wait to see how the story ends, since there are a lot of loose ends at this point.

Highly recommend the series to people who are comfortable with the Sci-Fi horror genre. It's not like gruesomely/violently scary, but it is creepy in a more mysterious way.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 am
View Likes
paperforest says...

I just read Beholding Bee, by Kimberly Newton Fusco. It's a fairly slow, quiet read, but very much worth it once you get into it. It's set in the US during (I think) the Second World War, and the main character is a girl named Bee who lives in a travelling show. The book is about Bee's search for a home and a family, and the kindness and courage that she learns along the way. I believe it's aimed at 10-12 year olds, but it's one of those books that's good no matter how old you are.

373 Reviews

Wed May 15, 2019 6:11 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

Okay I just spent yesterday and earlier today immersed in a guide for teen writers called Dear Ally, How Do You Write A Book? It was quite wonderful - it didn't dive down very deep in each writing craft concept BUT it provided a great introduction and idea of what it's like to write a novel.

Ally Carter also stressed that what was most important was finding the process and style that suited you, which makes a ton of sense given that there isn't many absolute rights or wrongs in fiction. Plus there were other authors' perspectives which was awesome! Definitely recommended.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@PrincessInk

That sounds like pretty good book! I really like writing books that actually include the perspectives of different authors for that reason. Also, the fact that it's written by a best selling author carries a lot more weight. I don't think I'm likely to come across it in my library, but if I ever stumble upon a cheap copy I'll check it out.

@Holysocks

I was tempted by the Rebel of the Sands trilogy. My main concern was that the main character seemed like one of those special-just-because characters, which bothers me because I prefer characters who are more assertive in making their own plot. Would you still recommend it or should I steer away?
We were born to be amazing.

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing