z

Young Writers Society

What's a cool book you've read in the past month?

Reviews: 0
Thu May 31, 2018 10:13 pm
View Likes
IacanusNegraeus says...

"Dark Force Rising", by Timothy Zahn (second book in the "Heir to the Empire" trilogy). I know it's not canon anymore, but it's a great read, and as a science fiction novel it stands pretty well on its own.

I always get these kind of books on audio. Thank God for Audible.com.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu May 31, 2018 11:39 pm
View Likes
AkeliaTaske says...

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien and Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan.
Ah oui oui, mon ami, je m'appelle Lafayette!
The Lancelot of the revolutionary set!
I came from afar just to say "Bonsoir!"
Tell the king, “Casse-toi!” Who's the best? C’est moi!

-Lafayette (Hamilton)

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:42 pm
IacanusNegraeus says...

AkeliaTaske wrote:The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Have you ever read "the Children of Hurin"?

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:28 pm
View Likes
occymay says...

I finished reading a Cruel Prince by Holly Black yesterday. It's a first person, present tense book about a mortal girl named Jude who lives in the world of Faerie after her eldest sister true father murders her parents.

I didn't like this at first, I think that the present tense put me off slightly and it felt choppy with no hint of a plot. But then the plot kicked in and I was hooked. Unfortunately, there is only one book so far but I'm getting a long series vibe from this. Next one is out in January and I don't know if I can wait that long!
One must always be careful with books and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.

Tessa Gray- Infernal Devices

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:51 am
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

@occymay: I really enjoyed The Cruel Prince too! Ooh, the plot twists!! And the characters--they're layered and interesting though they aren't exactly role models for morality. I think it's the start of a trilogy.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:11 pm
Lives4Christ24 says...

The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason
Lives4Christ24
Jesus Rocks, So Roll With Him

If you can't find the stories you want to read, write them yourself

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 pm
barefootrunner says...

@IacanusNegraeus, I fell in love with The Children of Hurin and reread it a few times just to cry over it again. It's beautiful, isn't it? Just call me maladapted... Anyway, I think it's one of my favorite Tolkien books.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:38 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@occymay and @PrincessInk - I loved a lot of things about The Cruel Prince! I really dug the bizarre family dynamic don't know what that says about me. And that twist halfway through... omg! I thought I knew what was coming! I was wrong.

Jude the MC was pretty annoying though...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:04 am
bluewaterlily says...

So many mentions of The Cruel Prince! Can’t. Wait to read it! Right now I’m reading The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:28 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I have a massive fairy tale retelling problem, and I'm now going back and reading Jessica Day George book that I've missed... finished Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow a couple days ago, and loved it.

I finished it last month, but I adored The Unicorn Quest by Kamila Benko, and want to throw it at everyone. It's Middle Grade (which is where I live for work), and has been compared to A Wrinkle in Time, which I totally agree with.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Reviews: 2
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:52 pm
Bell0603 says...

The book Every Note Played, is about a concert pianist who has ALS. It brought tears to my eyes. Obviously, when a pianist has ALS, they eventually lose their ability to play and also their life. Even though this book is sad, it is also cool in a way because it gives you a whole new perspective on life. It makes you realize that life is short and needs to be enjoyed. Every Note Played is like no other book. It reaches out to your heart and makes you happy to be alive.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:24 pm
Lives4Christ24 says...

The Paladin Prophecy by Mark Frost
Lives4Christ24
Jesus Rocks, So Roll With Him

If you can't find the stories you want to read, write them yourself

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente

It is wonderful. It's so fantastic and creative with so many cool magical ideas and images. It's like a fairytale, of course - think written in the style of Chronicles of Narnia or Alice in Wonderland, but more whimsical. But at the same time, it's a really deep book, touching on so many important themes of friendship and loss and fate and destiny. I have actually cried several times reading the first book and the second two. (It's a trilogy, and the second two are just as good as the first.)

I know @BlueAfrica was raving about it before, and it made me pick it up and read it, so I'll just say: you all should read it too.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:08 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

YES @Mea I'm so happy you enjoyed it omg it's the literal best EVERYONE READ IT YESTERDAY

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:50 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Recently finished reading The Woman in the Window and it was fabulous! @rosette posted about it on on her wall if you want a more organized description/recommendation of the book. But I'd really highly recommend it. It's sort of a psychological-thriller-crime-mystery, and the narrator is really likeable, but flawed and sometimes unreliable. As the book goes on you learn about her backstory and yeah lots of twists and turns until the very end.

I also started reading some non-fiction The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. I'm going through some books/work for emotional growth this summer, and I'd really recommend this book for anyone who thinks they might struggle with perfectionism. (I sure do!) She gives plenty of personal stories in it, so it has research to back her methods, but it comes across as down-to-earth and personal. I'm about half way through the book, but am really enjoying it so far.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice