z

Young Writers Society

What's a cool book you've read in the past month?

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I recently read the Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett and loved it! The main character, a little girl, basically becomes the village witch. It's the sort of book that I wish I had read when I was younger, because the main character thinks about things in a way I could really relate to at that age. It's a funny series, with lots of odd things and comedy, but the main character also has to make dramatic and important choices and do hard things. You don't have to read the books in order, really (I didn't, on accident), though there is continuity between them. It's a Discworld book, but you also don't need to know anything about Discworld. Highly recommend!
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse. The sequel just came out and I'm very much looking forward to reading it as well. Tl;dr: It's a post-apocalyptic setting, where the world has fallen to a climate crisis known to the main characters as Big Water. The main character is a monster hunter with supernatural gifts who faces a major crisis within herself as she tries to save the people of her world.

The setting for the action is Dinétah, which was known before Big Water as a Navajo reservation. Now, in a world of witchcraft and dwindling technology, the legends and gods of the Diné are resurfacing in Dinétah -- as we've entered the Sixth World.

While Roanhorse isn't Navajo, she is Pueblo raised in Texas, living in New Mexico, with a Navajo sensitivity reader for this wonderful fantasy. I found it absolutely captivating.
stay off the faerie paths

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu May 16, 2019 2:13 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

@Tenyo the story was very character driven for the most part! I mean like, for the first half or maybe a little less, she was incredibly... doing everything completely just for her.

I mean, she is really good with guns but that's because she grew up in a grungy town that is built around being a gun factory. Or something like That! I mean there ends up being a bit more "special" stuff but I don't wanna spoil!

And it definitely took me a bit before I liked the character- and style of writing. But then I really liked it!

I've only read the first book so far though.
100% autistic

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 am
ThePenultimateGinger says...

I just finished "the Bedlam Stacks" by Natasha Pulley, a good book if you like fantasy/adventure genres. Lot's of coffee and heartbreak. I liked "the Watchmaker of Filigree Street" better, which focuses more on tea and heartbreak, but maybe I just need to reread the Stacks and sink into the story a bit more. Anyway, I cried. In both.
I just started the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, he's a riot. Check out "Good Omens," a collab between Neil Gaiman and Pratchett, I love it and there's a TV series out on the 31st!
Neil Gaiman's "Trigger Warning" is good if you're in a rush, it's just a collection of short stories and poems. Some are a bit disturbing, though.
Now that I've officially decided to let my academic life crash and burn around me, I finally have time to read!
“I really think that everyone should have watercolors, magnetic poetry, and a harmonica.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Fri May 17, 2019 7:49 pm
Lib says...

Google It. It's the biography of Google. So far, so good! I suggest it. 10/10
*insert quirky signature here*

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:17 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I haven't finished reading it yet and most of my reading has involved jumping around in the book, but I've recently read the Firefly Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals. I got it at museum gift shop. The artwork is beautiful, and reading about all of the different prehistoric creatures is making me feel nostalgic - my family always used to watch documentaries on them when I was growing up. I've even recognized a few of them!

(As a quick aside - when we went to purchase the book, the women at the entrance desk/cash register all commented on how much they loved the book. They were reading it during their time off, and they found it the perfect combination of artwork and text.)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:03 pm
Psychotic says...

I just finished reading "The 57 Bus." I can't remember the author's name, but it was incredible and I might even go as far as to say eye-opening. It recounts the events of a true story that happened back in 2012. A nonbinary teenage male (I'm saying male as in sex, not gender) was sleeping on a bus. They were wearing a skirt. An African American teenager got on the bus with two of his friends. He takes a lighter from one and flicks it open. He puts that tiny lame right to that skirt and jump out of the back of the bus. What he expected to be just a tiny little flame, however, turned into a huge raging fire, leaving the skirted person with third-degree burns and two weeks in the hospital.

But, this book isn't just about that. The author did some in-depth research and learned about both the victim's and the attacker's personal lives and shared it with her readers. Reading their stories and hearing their emotions really makes you see them in a different light than what the media may have portrayed.

The author even goes on to speak to other people like attorneys and scientists and shares a little bit of knowledge about how the teenage brain functions and why it functions that way. Through all of this, the author manages to keep it unbiased and let you interpret it the way to want to.

Anyway, it's a really good book and I highly recommend it. Have a good day y'all.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:49 pm
Mageheart says...

I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but I'm reading Keywords by Raymond Williams for one of my classes this semester. The book has short little essays on different important words on society - each essay covers the meanings of a word throughout history. I've only read "democracy" and "society".

But both were really good! Overall, it's a really cool premise that's the perfect thing to geek out about.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala