37%
Baked goods will be the death of the world
No votes

Total votes : 35

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 pm
Brigadier says...

This is yet another poll for Dixie Kitchen, which hasn't really written any real recipes yet, but instead is devoted to finding out food opinions.

The poll is pretty self explanatory.
And if you don't get it because your mind is stuck in a different era, this is Team Jacob vs Team Edward, but with baked goods.

After you vote, it'd be great if you made your case for why each one is the BEST.
(Also I can then tag you and give you 5 seconds in the spotlight in the article for this.)

Definitions of each thing if you happen to be unaware:
Pie: a baked food having a filling of fruit, pudding, etc., prepared in a pastry-lined pan or dish and often topped with a pastry crust
Cake: a sweet, baked, breadlike food, made with or without shortening, and usually containing flour, sugar, baking powder or soda, eggs, and liquid flavoring.
Brownies: a small square of rich chocolate cake, typically containing nuts

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:46 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Brownies are my favorite out of all of them because they're basically little delectable squares of heaven. With pie and cake, it depends so much on the type: between lemon meringue pie and chocolate cake, I would pick the cake hands down, but if it were between apple pie and cheesecake I would pick apple pie.
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:56 pm
Mea says...

Pie is clearly the best. For one, there are literally so many types of pie that if you only ate different kinds of pie for the rest of your life, you still wouldn't get sick of it. From fruit pies to nut pies to chocolate/caramel/peanut butter pies to pumpkin pies to savory meat pies - there is room for literally all food groups in a pie (though maybe not the same pie...). I dare you to make a meat cake and see how that turns out. And at that thought, I've lost my appetite.

And if that wasn't enough, pie is the only baked good where one pie equals two pies, thus creating an infinite energy generator that could power the world if we could JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO HOOK IT UP PROPERLY.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

766 Reviews

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:59 pm
Brigadier says...

I take no stand point in this because I can't really decide for baked goods, though key lime pie should be its own food group.

@Mea
meatloaf is something I've heard people call meat cake
Also building a machine that uses pie as energy, sounds like a good LMS plotline.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 pm
mellifera says...

I'm on a ketogenic diet, so I don't have any of these often. I'd say cake, but I'm not a huge fan of cake (aside from caramel, which I would literally murder someone for).

I can make keto brownies though. Better yet, I can make mug brownies. And there's so many variations of them, and they're small and easy to make, which means I don't have to be in the kitchen baking for half the day if I want a cake or pie.

Plus, I don't really like any kind of pie :P but I wholeheartedly support the theory that baked goods could bring down our society. That should be the only form of mass destruction allowed.
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:06 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

I feel like there are too many unknowns in this question -- what type of pie, what type of cake, what type of brownies? These are all very essential pieces of information for me to make an informed opinion here.

Also I'm not sure pecan pie or ice-cream cake meet either of your definitions of cake or pie - but those two are some of the best specimens of cake and pie out there.

I guess if I have to pick one, ideally the answer would be team pie, unless we're talking pumpkin pie or banana pie then we'll have to battle it out between the cake and the brownies.

And side-bar: the ultimate desert is of course Lemon Bars - which are really the best combination of all of these things, and then up one notch. Apple Crisp is another contender for top desert option, but I'll not get into that now.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

766 Reviews

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:15 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

@alliyah anything really counts.
(next week, poll on favorite type of pie???)

for further classification, cobblers are going to be put with pies, because of the pseudo crust and fruit filling. cakes can have fruit but unlike pies, you don't find whole pieces of fruit that often.

definitely should have included cookies as an option...

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:19 pm
alliyah says...

Okay, if crisp and cobblers now count in the pie category then #TeamPie all the way, that solidifies my answer.

Although I still cannot support pumpkin pies.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

766 Reviews

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:24 pm
Rosendorn says...

Cake.

I am allergic to 90% of the possible fillings for pies, so eating a pie has a basically guaranteed chance of giving me a bad time. Cake, meanwhile, has a far lower chance of doing that. Brownies are too chocolatey for me.

Ironically, my favourite type of baked good is pumpkin anything, but mostly pumpkin pie. #pumpkinspiceforlife (I am, however, allergic to pumpkin... and milk... which makes pumpkin pie too treat-like for it to outweigh the fact I can eat most cakes)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 pm
Que says...

I mean, given the choice, I think fudge is the way to go. But between these options, I have to pick cake!

For some reason, I object to fruit and... baking. Like, fruit in pastries. Most pies are fruit pies, which I don’t like, and the Oreo or French silk pies, while amazing, aren’t on par with cakes. There’s a certain texture about cakes, that sort of fluffiness of the cake with just a bit of creamy frosting, which is absolutely perfect.

I feel like cakes are fancier too. I mean, people eat pies on pie day and at Thanksgiving, but cakes are for birthdays and weddings and all that fun stuff! Cakes can be layered and you can make cool drawings with icing and pies just... always look like pies. Has anyone made a rectangular pie? No? I’ve seen lots of non-circular cakes and you can do really cool stuff with them.

Just... cakes. :)
Parlez-vous français?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:48 pm
PrincessInk says...

It was haaard to decide, but I picked pie! Right now I'm in more of a pie mood, and I recently had some very good store-bought apple pie.

Cakes have quite a bit of frosting and whipped cream, which I'm not a huge fan of, though I'm game as long as the cake itself is delicious. Also, if the pie is a fruit pie, there's a lot more fruit in it.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

276 Reviews

Reviews: 276
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 pm
rosette says...

Pie!

Cake is too fluffy and sweet, and usually has way too much frosting piled on top. But pie - mmmhhhh. Not too soft, not too hard, and the crust!! I love crusts. <3

I will eat any kind of pie - literally, any - except for apple. Yuck. (Unless, of course, it happens to have three gallons of whipped cream on top. But really, in that case, what's a pie without whipped cream??)
On earth I long to be like Him

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:55 pm
View Likes
Nobunaga says...

Brooowwwwnnnniiiiieeeeessssss :3

They're fudgy! They're chocolatey! You can put anything on or in them! End pieces! They fit snugly in your pocket! They're just the best!
"Be the butthole" - Lareine, 2018

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26