z

Young Writers Society

What anime character do you think had the saddest backstory?

What anime character do you think had the saddest backstory?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:10 am

Edward Elric (FullMetal Alchemist)
62%
Naruto Uzamaki (Naruto)
8%
Ciel Phantomhive (Black Butler)
8%
InuYasha (InuYasha)
23%

Total votes : 13

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:10 am
Kanome says...

There are many anime characters who have the most traumatic backstory that can make you sad, even sometimes cry. Who do you think had the saddest backstory?
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 am
Nobunaga says...

Hands down Chopper from One Piece. I cried like a baby.
"Be the butthole" - Lareine, 2018

351 Reviews

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 am
View Likes
Kanome says...

D: I love Chopper.
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:19 am
Aley says...

Sensui isn't a MC but he has one hella backstory. His backstory is that he was attacked since childhood by demons and began to think they're evil, then realized that humans torture demons, so they must be evil, so EVERYTHING is evil and had a bit of a mental break down and eventually tried to destroy his own people because he couldn't cope with existence.

51 Reviews

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:26 am
Nobunaga says...

Which anime is Sensui from?

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:35 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Yu Yu Hakusho... I'm a huge fan of that one XD

51 Reviews

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:39 am
Nobunaga says...

Wait, I've seen all of Yu Yu Hakusho... how do I not know this person?? -one quick google search later- Oh!! I barely remember him lol I watched it a long time ago.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:37 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

When I saw that Edward was an option, I was originally going to pick him - the same with Ciel. Both lost close family members and were essentially forced to grow up too soon. Naruto and Inuyasha also have traumatic pasts, but their animes don't harp on them as much as FMA and Black Butler.

At the same time, Ed and Ciel weren't without some form of support. Edward had Alphonse, and Ciel had Sebastian. Obviously, it's not the same as a normal family, but it's something. Naruto grows up alienated and alone. Inuyasha is hated for his heritage, therefore also growing up with a support system. The only time we really see either one of them be around people who care is at the start of their animes - and even that takes time!

So, in my opinion, Inuyasha and Naruto had the saddest backstories.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 pm
StellaThomas says...

I've only seen FMA but Ed's story is like the saddest one I've ever heard so I voted for him anyway xD
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:36 pm
Virgil says...

I watched the original Fullmetal Alchemist at a young age (I've seen Brotherhood as well) and I vividly remember watching those first couple episodes. Ed and Al's whole story is based on what the two went through in the past. Not only that, their past fuels their primary motivations. Definitely Ed and Al over the other options although I admit I haven't fully seen the shows of the other three.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm
TopKeks says...

Easily Shrek. No one seems to understand how onions work and Shrek was alone in the world. There's still much about his past we don't know, like his parents. Truly sad stuff.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:07 pm
LJF says...

Ìwhy are thereally of carry tail characters on this list?
“In order to...apply the teachings of the Aincrad style...keep its secret motto in mind: "stay cool.”-Reki Kawahara
"I’m glad I didn’t die there. I have to go home. I’ve still got things to do.”-Yukako Kabei

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 am
TopKeks says...

LJF wrote:Ìwhy are thereally of carry tail characters on this list?

Thank you for your interest in YWS, but we are primarily an English speaking board.

351 Reviews

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:51 am
Kanome says...

If you are talking about Fairy Tail, I have not watched it, therefore, I do not know the characters.
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:23 pm
Lightsong says...

Ciel's past is explored with more details in recent chapters to the point where you just can't help but to cry for him. He's been through so many bad things but the flashback shows us there's even more to it. I'm changing my vote to him if I can.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert